ADSL - more than 1 simultaneous connection?

Old August 19th 04, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Default ADSL - more than 1 simultaneous connection?

Mark Graves wrote:

Hi,
If I have broadband installed and purchase 2 USB modems, plug them in
to 2 laptops and have them connected to 2 different sockets in the
house, can they both access the Internet at the same time? If not, how
would you switch between the users?

As others have suggested, router is the best solution - and allows *both*
computers to be connected at the same time, in a way which doesn't require
Computer A to be switched on when Computer B is connected, and vice versa. A
router also gives the option of allowing the computers to communicate with
each other if you wish - but you don't *have* to turn this feature on, if
you don't want it.

To use ICS (internet connection sharing) - as suggested by one or two
people - you would have to network the computers together so that one was
physically connected to the internet, and the other connected via the first
one.

If you don't want to do any of this, you'll only be able to connect one
computer at a time - and the other one will have to be *physically*
unplugged from the phone socket each time -otherwise neither will be able to
connect.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old August 19th 04, 06:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

In article , Tiscali Tim
writes
Mark Graves wrote:
As others have suggested, router is the best solution - and allows *both*
computers to be connected at the same time, in a way which doesn't require
Computer A to be switched on when Computer B is connected, and vice versa. A
router also gives the option of allowing the computers to communicate with
each other if you wish - but you don't *have* to turn this feature on, if
you don't want it.

Nah, doityourself - run smoothwall on a scrap PC - drive the modem of
your choice and into the net drivers of your choice with the routing of
your choice. You can even run a 10base2 system, dirt cheap and plenty
fast enough, without anyone realising you're an old crusty...
--
robert w hall
Old August 19th 04, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

In article , will kemp
writes
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 17:24:47 +0100, robert w hall wrote:

snip
10base2? yuk! no! 10base2 means an isa ethernet card

(strictly, er, no - some of my cards are indeed pci)
- and isa is
seriously bad news! you really shouldn't have to use a computer that's
only

why only?
got isa sockets these days - unless you are really, *really* crusty! ;-)

hmm - we've been trying to race our Ferrari down the cycle-lane again
sir, haven't we

'owd bob'

will

--
robert w hall
Old August 19th 04, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

will kemp wrote:

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 17:24:47 +0100, robert w hall wrote:

Nah, doityourself - run smoothwall on a scrap PC - drive the modem of
your choice and into the net drivers of your choice with the routing
of your choice. You can even run a 10base2 system, dirt cheap and
plenty fast enough, without anyone realising you're an old crusty...

10base2? yuk! no! 10base2 means an isa ethernet card - and isa is
seriously bad news! you really shouldn't have to use a computer that's
only got isa sockets these days - unless you are really, *really*
crusty! ;-)

will

There are still a lot of perfectly good PII machines around with a mixture
of PCI and ISA slots. I've got a couple myself, and my wife still uses one
of them!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old August 19th 04, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Linker3000

will kemp wrote:

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 17:24:47 +0100, robert w hall wrote:

Nah, doityourself - run smoothwall on a scrap PC - drive the modem of
your choice and into the net drivers of your choice with the routing of
your choice. You can even run a 10base2 system, dirt cheap and plenty
fast enough, without anyone realising you're an old crusty...

10base2? yuk! no! 10base2 means an isa ethernet card - and isa is
seriously bad news! you really shouldn't have to use a computer that's
only got isa sockets these days - unless you are really, *really* crusty! ;-)

will

I got a surprise the other day as I bought a cheap ISA parallel port
card to run a second printer from my Linux server - only to discover
that the server had zero ISA slots.

I must be getting old!

L3K

Old August 20th 04, 10:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

In article , Keef
writes
"will kemp" wrote in message
news
10base2? yuk! no! 10base2 means an isa ethernet card - and isa is
seriously bad news! you really shouldn't have to use a computer that's
only got isa sockets these days - unless you are really, *really* crusty!

;-)

You *can* get PCI NICs with 10base2 connectors on you know :-)

and indeed my firewall (a K5-75 with 16Mb, a 120Mb HDD and not much
else, not even a fan) has one such - a 3C900 IIRC.

The point about 10base2 is that it's a dirt-cheap way to build an
unbranched network, without a hub - mine goes all over the house through
secret mouse-holes and the like. And you can cadge, because everyone's
slinging the kit. (But 10Mbps is plenty good enough for piping adsl
round the house, even with overheads).
The down side, is that BNC connectors work their way undone if joggled -
so every 6 months or so, I get a disconnection and have to go on a
search.

Bob

Regards - Keef

--
robert w hall
Old August 20th 04, 10:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keef

"will kemp" wrote in message
news
10base2? yuk! no! 10base2 means an isa ethernet card - and isa is
seriously bad news! you really shouldn't have to use a computer that's
only got isa sockets these days - unless you are really, *really* crusty!

;-)

You *can* get PCI NICs with 10base2 connectors on you know :-)

e.g. http://www.micromac.com/products/nw_pci-ethernet-combo.html

Regards - Keef
--
Dartford Kent UK
Email

Old August 20th 04, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

In article , Tiscali Tim
writes
robert w hall wrote:

Yes, it's all or nothing because the whole thing needs to be properly
terminated at both ends - so that if there is a discontinuity anywhere in
the daisy chain, nothing talks to anything!

Considering that the data have already probably come down 6km of multi-
jointed cable on a similar all-or-nothing basis, a few extra yards
doesn't seem too hard to arrange. :-)

--
robert w hall