New BT Broadband ad campaign..

Old August 20th 04, 12:06 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

Default New BT Broadband ad campaign..

Due to air in the third week of August, the series of 30-second TV ads from
Abbott Mead Vickers BDDO will emphasise the excitement and potential of
broadband and demonstrate how learning can be brought to life using
Broadband from BT.

This is thanks to the availability of rich online content, in addition to
the high-speed, always-on connection. The ad brief builds on BT's "More
Power to You" promise while communicating the added value which Broadband
from BT customers receive.

There will be medium to heavyweight screening of the TV ads across all
terrestrial and satellite channels, throughout peak and off-peak times. In
addition, the TV spots will be supported by press ads in the UK national
press, including Sundays, as well as key gaming and consumer internet
titles.

The creative execution focuses on Gareth, aged about 13, sitting at a
computer in his home. In the next scene, a roundhead and a cavalier are in a
white departure lounge at a futuristic airport, an analogy for the
distribution of content over the internet. They are debating the ability of
Broadband from BT to bring the English Civil war to life. As the pair are
guided to a portal by a BT airport employee, the scene cuts to the
point-of-view of Gareth, clearly engrossed in his homework...

More at
http://www.btplc.com/News/Pressrelea...004/nr0472.htm

Regards
Sunil

Old August 20th 04, 09:29 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 23:06:17 +0100, "Sunil Sood"
wrote:

Due to air in the third week of August, the series of 30-second TV ads from
Abbott Mead Vickers BDDO will emphasise the excitement and potential of
broadband and demonstrate how learning can be brought to life using
Broadband from BT.

{snip}

I thought the ad was quite good (I saw it last night for the first
time) but it would take far more than an ad to make me ever consider
using BT Yahoo/Broadband.

(For "far more" read "at gun point".....)
Old August 20th 04, 09:29 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Woody" wrote in message
Sunil, your contributions on here are often welcome, but as it would
appear
that you work for BT will you please stop using it as a free advertising
forum.

Hmm - I don't work for BT...

Regards
Sunil

Old August 20th 04, 09:48 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
:::Jerry::::

"Woody" wrote in message

snip

Sunil, your contributions on here are often welcome, but as it would

appear
that you work for BT will you please stop using it as a free advertising
forum.

Sounds more like an anti BT rant rather than a valid point...
You don't seem to complain when other ISP support-ers in effect advertise
their favoured companies.

Old August 20th 04, 10:31 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

wrote:

Due to air in the third week of August, the series of 30-second TV ads from
Abbott Mead Vickers BDDO will emphasise the excitement and potential of
broadband and demonstrate how learning can be brought to life using
Broadband from BT.

{snip}

I thought the ad was quite good (I saw it last night for the first
time) but it would take far more than an ad to make me ever consider
using BT Yahoo/Broadband.

Please explain why that is so.

David Bradley

(For "far more" read "at gun point".....)

Old August 20th 04, 10:40 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

wrote:

I thought the ad was quite good (I saw it last night for the first
time) but it would take far more than an ad to make me ever consider
using BT Yahoo/Broadband.

(For "far more" read "at gun point".....)

Please explain why that is so.

If it were me I'd not choose BT since they seem to be more of a nanny
ISP rather than what I consider an "internet provider" actually is.
I.e. they give me a connection, I choose how to use it and how much to
use it.
Old August 20th 04, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, in uk.telecom, "Woody" wrote:

Sunil, your contributions on here are often welcome, but as it would appear
that you work for BT will you please stop using it ...

Seems pretty harsh - Sunil definitely doesn't strike me as anything other
than an analyst (much like Phil Henry - could one day ask who employs or
what job title Sunil has, but none of my business, just academic interest!)

If the post hadn't been in uk.telecom I'd definitely take issue with you,
Woody, but the only thing I'd say was the "not needing cross-posting" as
broadband has its own group and like mobile, there should be little or
no need to cross-post such an item (but some others, eg AMJ, cross-posts
more widely and I'd suggest cutting back to uk.* instead of the variety
of other groups he posts to about uk-bug)... I do still take issue with
anyone who suggests Sunil promotes BT - sometimes financial deals are of
little/no interest to me, but others no doubt find the contributions are
welcome and useful. You could always killfile Sunil, Woody (!!) PGM.

--
TalkTalk allows free calls to other TT customers...
As a special deal they offer free evening and weekend calls
Old August 20th 04, 11:45 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 20 Aug 2004, in uk.telecom, ":::Jerry::::" wrote:

You don't seem to complain when other ISP support-ers in
effect advertise their favoured companies.

Like my use, I suspect Sunil's use of BT services is limited to those
which are 'essential' such as a line (to support ADSL). Making calls
and internet access, etc, are from other suppliers in both cases (but
that's my impression - Sunil may be responsible for many 100k GBP of
BT contracts for his business/employers, for all I know Peter M.

Old August 20th 04, 04:07 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

wrote:

Please explain why that is so.

David Bradley

Many years of falling out with BT on multiple issues. I've fought
them at home, I've fought them at work. Now I try to avoid anything
of theirs like the plague because it invariably goes wrong and ends in
a fight.

I'm not even going to begin to describe these many and varied events
in detail but the outline is this:

At home:

2 years of BT Openworld. Poor download speeds, frequent
disconnections, support at a premium rate. Frequent mail server
problems, unreliable newsfeed. In all I was on dial up for seven
years starting in 1996 and BT Openworld provided a markedly poorer
service than anyone else in that time.

Very poor quality phone line when I moved down from Scotland, took
weeks to fix. In that time the internet was unusable and voice calls
frequently impossible.

"Forgot" to enable us when we moved house last year. When they did
the line didn't work and it took 2 weeks to find the fault and fix it.
We did get compensation though but three weeks without a phone in a
new house is VERY inconvenient.

Refused to enable adsl on the line after they fixed it, claimed it was
beyond reach - but the neighbours on both sides used it. BT said it
must run a different route. I told them repeatedly the number had
been ported from our old address and to re-test. They claimed it
already had been so I installed a new line and they told me to wait
six weeks for the test. The engineer who installed it said adsl would
work on the line I already had. Six weeks later BOTH lines tested
positive for adsl so I cancelled the second one as soon as the
contract expired. Three months, no usage at all and 50 later the
pointless second line ended its existance and I moved to adsl, dumping
BT Openworld as I did.

At work:

Renewed a contract for our ISDN30 system without permission. The
original contract was signed for 3 years. After 2 years they renewed
it for a further 5 year period but without consulting my predecessor.
When we moved our lines, via BT Wholesale, to another supplier they
refused to release the lines. After two months of arguing and wasted
time they acknowledged that they could produce no evidence for our
authorising the extension and no explanation as to why it was renewed
a year ahead of schedule and released the lines to our new supplier,
having wasted the time of their own staff member (who was VERY good to
deal with), myself and two members of staff with our new supplier.

An attempt to lure me back to them by providing the most monumentally
complicated pricing structure based on certain call levels to hit
certain usage targets which would trigure discounts to be applied at
varying levels and call costs not rising above certain amounts if the
call lasted longer than a certain amount of time. As I told them at
the time I had no idea whether we'd save money or not because I didn't
know how many of ours calls went above the length threshold, couldn't
guarantee what our monthly call levels would be and therefore what
discount we'd qualify for. Against our totally transparent single
rate for UK calls, single rate for mobile calls and specifically
tailored package of international calls their offering was gibberish
and impossible to compare.

Not one but two colleagues using BT Broadband who are unhappy with the
service and looking to change.

I could go on, but you've probably stopped reading already....