FTP Server test needed - Send BIG file pls

Old August 20th 04, 05:35 AM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.telecom.broadband

Default FTP Server test needed - Send BIG file pls

Hi, I have been playing with some FTP Server software, and whilst it appears
to work fine here on my LAN, a friend is finding that large uploads are just
about impossible.

I would be very grateful if someone would attempt to upload a big file (up
to 1GB) to my server. I have my suspicions that my friend has something set
wrong at their end, but I cannot be sure.

How about this! He tells me that uploading big files makes his TV receiver
crash (NTL Pace Set Top Box). WTF is going on there?

Please do feel free to upload something big.

I.P 81.86.86.48

Port 21

username - test

Password - user

Old August 20th 04, 07:06 AM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.telecom.broadband
Philip Wyett

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 04:35:24 +0100, Q wrote:

Hi, I have been playing with some FTP Server software, and whilst it
appears to work fine here on my LAN, a friend is finding that large
uploads are just about impossible.

I would be very grateful if someone would attempt to upload a big file
(up to 1GB) to my server. I have my suspicions that my friend has
something set wrong at their end, but I cannot be sure.

How about this! He tells me that uploading big files makes his TV
receiver crash (NTL Pace Set Top Box). WTF is going on there?

Please do feel free to upload something big.

I.P 81.86.86.48

Port 21

username - test

Password - user

What model of Pace NTL box is it DI4000, DI4001 or DI4010?
Old August 20th 04, 12:20 PM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.telecom.broadband

"Philip Wyett" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 04:35:24 +0100, Q wrote:

What model of Pace NTL box is it DI4000, DI4001 or DI4010?

DITV-1000

Old August 20th 04, 06:26 PM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.telecom.broadband
Philip Wyett

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 11:20:07 +0100, Q wrote:

"Philip Wyett" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 04:35:24 +0100, Q wrote:

What model of Pace NTL box is it DI4000, DI4001 or DI4010?

DITV-1000

Hmm... originally a telewest box modded for NTL.

From your remote do 'Page Up', 'Page Down', 'Blue', this will bring up
a page called "User Information" click on "more" until you get to page 3,
look under "QOS" - What is the setting? It will be either say "no-bia.cm"
"copper.cm" "silver.cm" "gold.cm".

Is this the only STB in the house or is there others?

Old August 20th 04, 06:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Q wrote:
Hi, I have been playing with some FTP Server software, and whilst it appears
to work fine here on my LAN, a friend is finding that large uploads are just
about impossible.

I would be very grateful if someone would attempt to upload a big file (up
to 1GB) to my server. I have my suspicions that my friend has something set
wrong at their end, but I cannot be sure.

Hm. Odd. I got this from NCFTP on a Linux box connected to the 'net via
a 10Mb pipe...

Sending file: 1GB
55% 0 ===================== 1048576000 bytes. ETA:135:04Er
ror: Error occurred during write!
Reason: Broken pipe
** Aborting Transfer **
Connection closed; Transfer limit reached.
55% 0 ===================== 1048576000 bytes. ETA:135:04
1GB: 578682880 bytes sent in 9980.46 seconds, 56.62 kB/s.

I've never see "Transfer limit " before and have FTPd several multi GB
files in the past, so maybe theres some limit set at your end?

Ah, just checked again and you put in a message - looks like I hit your
limit! However, it's otherwise fine as far as I can tell.

BTW: Anonymous FTP was enabled when I tried earlier - you probably don't
want this...

Gordon
Old August 20th 04, 07:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Gordon Henderson" wrote in message
In article ,
Q wrote:
[...]

Hi Gordon, nice to put a name to the guy who was helping me. Thank you so
much for your help. Yes I saw that someone was uploading a file for me, and
I noted the filename so my assumption was that it woul be 1G in size. I
applied a max transfer limit of 1G for the user 'test'. However.....and I
apologise profusely for this, I had overlooked that someone had already
shoved two Windows SP's in there earlier today. Although I had already
deleted them I forgot that those files would count toward the upload limit
for today. I am so glad that your test worked. I always thought it would.
See elsewhere for my exchanges with Philip Wyett.

Cheers Gordon,

Jon

Old August 20th 04, 07:08 PM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.telecom.broadband

"Philip Wyett" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 11:20:07 +0100, Q wrote:

"Philip Wyett" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 04:35:24 +0100, Q wrote:

What model of Pace NTL box is it DI4000, DI4001 or DI4010?

DITV-1000

Hmm... originally a telewest box modded for NTL.

From your remote do 'Page Up', 'Page Down', 'Blue', this will bring up
a page called "User Information" click on "more" until you get to page 3,
look under "QOS" - What is the setting? It will be either say "no-bia.cm"
"copper.cm" "silver.cm" "gold.cm".

Is this the only STB in the house or is there others?

Hi Philip,

Unfortunately I do not have access to the STB, and will not be able to
examine the 'User Information' page until my friend returns from holiday (3
Sept).
I am particularly curious now, as I have found out this morning that thee is
indeed two STB's in his house, and no doubt they will be fed from the same
cable. I am unable to say what model the 2nd box is. I rather get the
impression you have a good idea what could be going on. Please do write
back. I really am buzzing with excitement now.

Kind regards,

Jon

Old August 20th 04, 07:11 PM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.telecom.broadband

"Mugwump" wrote in message
In article , Q
said......

I bet Cumberland Advisors Inc are just loving all the spam that you are
sending their way!

--
Mugwump

Reply to 'usenetmail{at}discworld{dot}org{dot}uk

Point taken and fixed, thanks

Jon