dabsvalue router

Old August 20th 04, 11:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Default dabsvalue router

Just doing a bit of window shopping prior to 6th September. Looking at routers.
Does anyone have any experience with the DabsValue 802.11b router + 4 port
switch?
Its only 35.99 which is just a bit more than my budget but I cannot find
anything cheaper at the moment, unless one of you kind people can direct me to
an inexpensive router (not ebay).
Also what does the switch part mean?

Old August 20th 04, 11:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Beck" wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with the DabsValue 802.11b router + 4 port
switch?

a QuickLink (or whatever) for it would be handy so we see the right unit

can direct me to an inexpensive router (not ebay).

Is that a general "not s/h" or specifically not Ebay ? Just curious...
You might find someone has gone for a wireless unit and wants little cash
for their unused older wired router...

Also what does the switch part mean?

Similar to a hub, but where a hub sends out any received packet of data
to all connected ports, a switch will learn what is connected via each
of its ports (so knows if 1 or 10 or 100 local IP addresses are down a
specific 'link' and routes traffic via the specific port... moving a
cable might mean you need to ping a few times (or generate some data
from the end where the cable has been moved) to make the switch learn
of a change in which port to use for specific IP address(es). HTH.
Depends on account that is opened by new customer, but good value ISP IMO.
Old August 20th 04, 01:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Brian Morrison" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:11:07 +0000, in article
"Beck"
wrote:

Also what does the switch part mean?

It means that each of the 4 ports only send the packets to the
Ethernet MAC address of the network card plugged in to a given port, as
opposed to a hub which sends all packets to all ports.

So, if ports 2 and 3 are talking to each other, ports 1 and 4 will not see
any of that traffic. Suppose you are transferring files between two
machines while the third is being used to download a file from the net.
Both activities will occur simultaneously without stealing bandwidth
within the switch from each other.

Thanks for the explanation just getting used to the technical aspects here :-)

Old August 20th 04, 01:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"poster" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Beck" wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with the DabsValue 802.11b router + 4 port
switch?

a QuickLink (or whatever) for it would be handy so we see the right unit

can direct me to an inexpensive router (not ebay).

Is that a general "not s/h" or specifically not Ebay ? Just curious...
You might find someone has gone for a wireless unit and wants little cash
for their unused older wired router...

Sorry, this one here.. http://tinyurl.com/63ltt
I do not mind second hand at all, I don't mind ebay, what I should have said was
ebay okay as long as payment is not paypal only. I refuse to use paypal crap.
:-)

Old August 20th 04, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Shevek

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 11:18:44 +0000 (UTC), "Beck"
wrote:

"poster" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Beck" wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with the DabsValue 802.11b router + 4 port
switch?

a QuickLink (or whatever) for it would be handy so we see the right unit

can direct me to an inexpensive router (not ebay).

Is that a general "not s/h" or specifically not Ebay ? Just curious...
You might find someone has gone for a wireless unit and wants little cash
for their unused older wired router...

Sorry, this one here.. http://tinyurl.com/63ltt

That has to be the most useful product description I have ever seen
;-)

--

Shevek

Get DigiGuide - a downloadable desktop PC TV and Radio Guide
http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=31493
Old August 20th 04, 02:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan Pearson

"Beck" wrote in message
Just doing a bit of window shopping prior to 6th September. Looking at

routers.
Does anyone have any experience with the DabsValue 802.11b router + 4 port
switch?
Its only 35.99 which is just a bit more than my budget but I cannot find
anything cheaper at the moment, unless one of you kind people can direct

me to
an inexpensive router (not ebay).
Also what does the switch part mean?

If its a blue ugly thing (you can hide it behind your PC or somewhere), the
we bought one about 2 yrs ago and its been used daily since then no
problems, we have 3 PC's connected to it, and all 3 will speak to each other
and access the outside world no problem, it was plus and play to set up I
think, quite simply it just works.

Jon

Old August 20th 04, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 20 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Jonathan Pearson" wrote:

If its a blue ugly thing (you can hide it behind your PC or somewhere),
the we bought one about 2 yrs ago and its been used daily since then...

http://www.edimax.com.tw/html/english/products/BR-6104WB.htm
(You perhaps didn't spot Beck mentioned 802.11)
Depends on account that is opened by new customer, but good value ISP IMO.
Old August 20th 04, 10:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Beck" wrote in message
Sorry, this one here.. http://tinyurl.com/63ltt

Are you looking for a wireless router with a built-in ADSL modem?

If so, that one doesn't have one..

Regards
Sunil

Old August 20th 04, 11:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

"Beck" wrote in message
Sorry, this one here.. http://tinyurl.com/63ltt

Are you looking for a wireless router with a built-in ADSL modem?

If so, that one doesn't have one..

Not sure what I am looking for to be honest Sunil. I have tonnes of experience
with ICS, but nothing with routers. I haven't a clue what I am doing.
Obviously I am not ready to buy yet as I want to get connected first and make
sure the line is okay before shelling out. Just testing the water really.
Ideally, wireless would be the way to go as I am fed up with cables. But its a
pricey option and one to consider for the future, but not now.

Old August 21st 04, 12:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 20 Aug 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, "Sunil Sood" wrote:

Are you looking for a wireless router with a built-in ADSL modem?

Explains the price :-) Still, quite a handy unit to play with !!