Wireless ADSL Modem Shootout

Old August 20th 04, 05:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Three

Default Wireless ADSL Modem Shootout

Hi,

I'm (just like everyone else on the planet) in the market for wireless
router with built in ADSL modem. This group is great for getting the
low down but there are so many opinons it's hard to see the wood for
the trees. Has anyone seen a good side by side comparison of the most
popular boxes that I can go and look at? I'm hoping some popular
review site has done a good shootout where they have compared range
and speed in a bunch of different environments with linksys, Belkin,
Netgear, USR et al.

cheers,

Jim
Old August 20th 04, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

Hi,

I'm (just like everyone else on the planet) in the market for wireless
router with built in ADSL modem. This group is great for getting the
low down but there are so many opinons it's hard to see the wood for
the trees. Has anyone seen a good side by side comparison of the most
popular boxes that I can go and look at? I'm hoping some popular
review site has done a good shootout where they have compared range
and speed in a bunch of different environments with linksys, Belkin,
Netgear, USR et al.

cheers,

Jim

Don't hide your light under a bushel, anchor a new thread.

Graham.

Old August 21st 04, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 00:55:09 +0000 (UTC), Alex Heney
wrote:

Hah!

Found one now :-)

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=456

It includes four of the five I listed above, plus 6 others.

The prices they show are presumably RRP, they can actually be had very
much cheaper.

An interesting review - but curious results. Before buying mine I
read a number of similar reviews on other sites. Each and every one
put the Netgear at or near the top of the list for wireless
performance. Curious that this one review found it to be so poor.

There is inconsistency in the test as well - the review for the
Netgear complains that it does not support WPA with a radius server,
but it does (to my knowledge) and on the stat sheet they provide it
says it does.

Even so, it seems like a reasonable review - and seriously makes me
glad I didn't buy some of the other units on it!