Extended Reach

Old August 20th 04, 06:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Extended Reach

I am currently using 512K broadband as this is the only speed I can get due
to my distance from my exchange. I have just been contacted by my ISP and
informed that due to BT changing their broadband distance limits on 6th
September, I may qualify for 1mbps.

I'm assuming I'm over 3.5km from the exchange at the moment and I'm hoping
that I am within 6km to qualify for 1mpbs after 6th September.

Does anyone know of a site where I can locate my exchange exactly and at
least predict my approximate distance from it? Large assumptions that the
cables take a relatively direct route, but if I'm 4-5km away then I'll get
my hopes up. Over 5km and I might not.

I can't find this on the BT site - is there anything I can type into my
phone to give me this?

MGS

Old August 20th 04, 07:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

MGS wrote in message ...
I am currently using 512K broadband as this is the only speed I can get due
to my distance from my exchange. I have just been contacted by my ISP and
informed that due to BT changing their broadband distance limits on 6th
September, I may qualify for 1mbps.

I'm assuming I'm over 3.5km from the exchange at the moment and I'm hoping
that I am within 6km to qualify for 1mpbs after 6th September.

Does anyone know of a site where I can locate my exchange exactly and at
least predict my approximate distance from it? Large assumptions that the
cables take a relatively direct route, but if I'm 4-5km away then I'll get
my hopes up. Over 5km and I might not.

I can't find this on the BT site - is there anything I can type into my
phone to give me this?

Its line quality thats important not the distance from the exchange.

However, from the 6th September, the current 512K limit is being made the
"new" 1MB limit.

Hence, I would say the chances are *very good* that you will qualify for
1MB.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php has someinformation on exchange
locations but its a good idea to assume that the telephone cables don't
follow a relatively direct route..

Regards
Sunil

Old August 20th 04, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php has someinformation on
exchange locations but its a good idea to assume that the telephone cables
don't follow a relatively direct route..

Hmm - sorry for the triple post.. newserver/OE problem :/

Regards
Sunil

Old August 21st 04, 01:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

In article , [email protected]?.?
writes
I'm assuming I'm over 3.5km from the exchange at the moment and I'm hoping
that I am within 6km to qualify for 1mpbs after 6th September.

Does anyone know of a site where I can locate my exchange exactly and at
least predict my approximate distance from it?

No point - you'd be out by 50% or more.
Either
1) wait patiently for the 6th when BTW will officially update the
checker
or
2) get the downstream attenuation figure from your router - if it's less
than 60db you'll be OK

--
robert w hall
Old August 26th 04, 10:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Comley

Just wait until after 6th September then

- BT's website will be updated with the new "rules"
- your ISP can find out for sure

BUT

By and large, anyone who can currently get 512k should be able to get
1Mb after 6th September.

MGS wrote:

I am currently using 512K broadband as this is the only speed I can get due
to my distance from my exchange. I have just been contacted by my ISP and
informed that due to BT changing their broadband distance limits on 6th
September, I may qualify for 1mbps.

I'm assuming I'm over 3.5km from the exchange at the moment and I'm hoping
that I am within 6km to qualify for 1mpbs after 6th September.

Does anyone know of a site where I can locate my exchange exactly and at
least predict my approximate distance from it? Large assumptions that the
cables take a relatively direct route, but if I'm 4-5km away then I'll get
my hopes up. Over 5km and I might not.

I can't find this on the BT site - is there anything I can type into my
phone to give me this?

MGS

---
Business ADSL solutions
www.wizards.co.uk
Old August 26th 04, 05:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Glenn

Do a search on google for BT line test numbers, there is 1 option that will
tell you how many metres you are away from the exchange

Old August 27th 04, 12:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Glenn" wrote in message

Do a search on google for BT line test numbers, there is 1 option
that will tell you how many metres you are away from the exchange

That hasn't worked for several years - BT removed that feature/information
from the line test.

Regards
Sunil

Old August 27th 04, 01:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:05:02 +0100, "Glenn"
wrote:

Do a search on google for BT line test numbers, there is 1 option that will
tell you how many metres you are away from the exchange

Not any more there isn't.

That was removed from the tests a year or two ago.

Probably because too many "unauthorised" people were using it, then
complaining when they were refused broadband.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
How many of you believe in telekinesis? Raise MY hand!

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom