PDA's WITH 5 inch SCREEN ?

Old August 22nd 04, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
_____

Default PDA's WITH 5 inch SCREEN ?

Anyone agree these would be popular ?

_____ Sun, 22 Aug 2004 19:50:07 +0100

Old August 22nd 04, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

_____ wrote:
Anyone agree these would be popular ?

Need a bloody big pocket to put it in.....

Old August 23rd 04, 01:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Kr?ft?? wrote:
_____ wrote:
Anyone agree these would be popular ?

Need a bloody big pocket to put it in.....

I want a PDA I can comfortably read books on.
For me, this is about 4.5", or about half a page of a typical softback book
minus margins. (I played with various sized cardboard windows on my laptop
screen).

A PDA that will take the sort of abuse a book will, and still sort-of
function, would be awesome.
This pretty much implies either a brick, as a casing that will take
being stood on on an uneven surface without flexing enough to break the
fragile glass LCD will be substantial.
Or a more flexible display technology.

The ultimate PDA would continue to work after you rolled it into a ball
and stuck it in your pocket.
Old August 26th 04, 01:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Kr?ft?? wrote:
_____ wrote:
Anyone agree these would be popular ?

Need a bloody big pocket to put it in.....

I want a PDA I can comfortably read books on.
For me, this is about 4.5", or about half a page of a typical softback

book
minus margins. (I played with various sized cardboard windows on my laptop
screen).

The other option is a Tablet PC. What about :-
http://www.spiritdatacapture.co.uk/features.htm

Old August 26th 04, 07:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Kr?ft?? wrote:
_____ wrote:
Anyone agree these would be popular ?

Need a bloody big pocket to put it in.....

I want a PDA I can comfortably read books on.
For me, this is about 4.5", or about half a page of a typical softback

book
minus margins. (I played with various sized cardboard windows on my laptop
screen).

The other option is a Tablet PC. What about :-
http://www.spiritdatacapture.co.uk/features.htm

Sigh.
That's damn near half the weight of my laptop.
Ruggedness looks pretty nice though.

Old August 26th 04, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reg Edwards

Default Ab Osborne-1 computer.

I possess a 3" green screen, Osborne-1 computer in spotless new condition.
The first pre-IBM portable computer, complete with a 5" floppy disk
operating system and a thick operating handbook. It is in its original
integral carrying case which could be taken to be a portable sewing machine.

Never used portable or in an office. Only occasionally by one person on a
domestic table.

Could be considered to be an antique. It cost about £1,200 when new around
1982. What's it worth now? Any ideas or offers?
----
Reg.

Old August 26th 04, 09:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade

Kr?ft?? wrote:
_____ wrote:
Anyone agree these would be popular ?

Need a bloody big pocket to put it in.....

I want a PDA I can comfortably read books on.
For me, this is about 4.5", or about half a page of a typical softback

book
minus margins. (I played with various sized cardboard windows on my

laptop
screen).

The other option is a Tablet PC. What about :-
http://www.spiritdatacapture.co.uk/features.htm

Sigh.
That's damn near half the weight of my laptop.
Ruggedness looks pretty nice though.

It was the only small screen I could find. The larger tablets are nice.
Because you
can use them "folded" with the stylus they are easier to use in a confined
space.
On the other hand they end up being heavy as you say.

Old August 27th 04, 10:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lindsay

Reg wrote:
I possess a 3" green screen, Osborne-1 computer in spotless new condition.
The first pre-IBM portable computer

We used to call them luggables - awful word but it conjours up the
right feeling for those who've never lifted one.

What's it worth now? Any ideas or offers?

They had an awful reputation for breaking down so if you're trying to
get rid of it to anywhere other than a museum, I think reliability
might be an issue.

I don't know whether I've dumped my old one or if my son has got it -
there was some software with it too (dBase II?). Is my memory playing
tricks or did it run under CP/M?

If anyone is interested, I'll see if I can find it. Buyer collects
from south suffolk - but only when and if (it's a big "if") I can find
it.

Lindsay

Old August 27th 04, 11:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
thoss

In article , Lindsay
writes
Reg wrote:
I possess a 3" green screen, Osborne-1 computer in spotless new condition.

Not quite that tiny; 5 inch diagonal, actually.

The first pre-IBM portable computer

Which of course makes it THE first portable. 1981.

We used to call them luggables - awful word but it conjours up the
right feeling for those who've never lifted one.

Weight 23 lb.

What's it worth now? Any ideas or offers?

Not too much today, but I believe prices are beginning to go up.

They had an awful reputation for breaking down so if you're trying to
get rid of it to anywhere other than a museum, I think reliability
might be an issue.

The biggest problems were with floppy disk drive alignment.
Bletchley Park computer museum has a glut of them.

I don't know whether I've dumped my old one or if my son has got it -
there was some software with it too (dBase II?). Is my memory playing
tricks or did it run under CP/M?

Yes, CP/M 2.2. The first computer to come with bundled softwa
WordStar, Supercalc (originally written specially for the Osborne) and
two Basics, one -MBasic - from an obscure outfit called Microsoft. At
times there were special offers including dBase II.

--
Tom Ruben
GLOW - Greater London Osborne Workshop
Old August 27th 04, 12:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Raven

thoss wrote:

In article , Lindsay
writes

Reg wrote:

I possess a 3" green screen, Osborne-1 computer in spotless new condition.

Not quite that tiny; 5 inch diagonal, actually.

The first pre-IBM portable computer

Which of course makes it THE first portable. 1981.

That honour goes, I believe, to the IBM 5100. 1975. Although at 55lbs,
luggable or trans-portable is nearer the mark.
http://oldcomputers.net/ibm5100.html

Tony