Wanna know If the internet connection have been firewalled (by ADSL router) ?

Old August 23rd 04, 04:35 AM posted to comp.networks,uk.telecom.broadband
Frankie Ooi

Default Wanna know If the internet connection have been firewalled (by ADSL router) ?

I'm a new ADSL router user. I link my D-Link NIC to D-Link ADSL router
(DSL-500G) to use the internet...

I access the router management software using browser. I would like to know
whether I have been firewalled... any setting to indicate that? Please
advise...
Thanks.

Regards,
Frankie Ooi

Old August 23rd 04, 07:29 AM posted to comp.networks,uk.telecom.broadband
Frankie Ooi

Default Wanna know If i'm firewalled (by ADSL router) ?

I'm using Windows 98 SE....

Old August 23rd 04, 08:41 PM posted to comp.networks,uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

www.grc.com - follow the "shields up" link for a quick and dirty check

Old August 24th 04, 02:58 AM posted to comp.networks,uk.telecom.broadband
Frankie Ooi

Thanks, Colin Wilson, I visited the tested the connection and ports....
A very good website indeed... by the way, what do you mean by dirty check?

Regards,
Frankie Ooi

Old August 24th 04, 09:48 AM posted to comp.networks,uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Thanks, Colin Wilson, I visited the tested the connection and ports....
A very good website indeed... by the way, what do you mean by dirty check?

It was part of a phrase "quick and dirty" - meant nothing other than its
a fast check, but isn`t a fully comprehensive scan.

If it passes you`re probably fine though :-)

Old August 25th 04, 12:58 PM posted to comp.networks,uk.telecom.broadband
Frankie Ooi

A few of my ports are in STEALTH mode... other than than, everything works
fine in Windows...
Thanks...

Old August 25th 04, 10:39 PM posted to comp.networks,uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

A few of my ports are in STEALTH mode... other than than, everything works
fine in Windows...

Stealth is good, closed is "not" so good, and open may be worrying.

Does the router support UPnP ? - that may potentially be a security
issue, and there`s a small program on www.grc.com that will disable this
"feature" (UPnP will allow Windows to request a port to be opened in the
router, which might be dangerous if the request came from a trojan /
virus)

Old August 26th 04, 02:40 AM posted to comp.networks,uk.telecom.broadband
Frankie Ooi

UnPlug n' Pray, there I got it... Thanks...
finally, I went ShieldsUP! checking and got this:
"Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist"

Old August 26th 04, 09:52 AM posted to comp.networks,uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

UnPlug n' Pray, there I got it... Thanks...
finally, I went ShieldsUP! checking and got this:
"Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist"

Your router will handle any outgoing traffic from that port, the message
simply means its not directly responding to requests it hadn`t asked for
aka stealth (and the wonders of NAT).