Alcatel SpeedTouch 330/ Win ME

Old August 23rd 04, 09:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Default Alcatel SpeedTouch 330/ Win ME

I'm just about to help launch some friends onto ADSL by signing
them up with Pipex's current deal of free connection, and free modem

The modem is an Alcatel SpeedTouch 330

Their PC runs Windows ME. Are there any issues I need to be aware of
with this combination of hardware and o/s ?

I just want the installation to run smoothly :-)

Old August 23rd 04, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

The modem is an Alcatel SpeedTouch 330
Their PC runs Windows ME. Are there any issues I need to be aware of
with this combination of hardware and o/s ?
I just want the installation to run smoothly :-)

VIA chipset ?

Try not to share it with any other devices, as it can take a lot of juice
from the USB port. Expect frequent connection drops, which will probably
require a reboot before it`ll work again.

Old August 23rd 04, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 08:01:53 +0100, Mark Carver wrote:

I'm just about to help launch some friends onto ADSL by signing
them up with Pipex's current deal of free connection, and free modem

The modem is an Alcatel SpeedTouch 330

Their PC runs Windows ME. Are there any issues I need to be aware of
with this combination of hardware and o/s ?

I just want the installation to run smoothly :-)

You mean apart from the fact that ME is pretty dire as an OS.

Dave

Old August 24th 04, 08:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Dave Stanton wrote:

You mean apart from the fact that ME is pretty dire as an OS.

I discovered last night that their machine is in one hell of a mess.
Yes ME is an utter disaster, I'll reformat the HD and stick either 2k
or XP on it and start afresh !

Colin Wilson wrote:
VIA chipset ?

Probably

Try not to share it with any other devices, as it can take a lot of
juice from the USB port. Expect frequent connection drops, which will
probably require a reboot before it`ll work again.

I'll recommend they let me buy them a powered USB hub, if that
proves to be a problem

Thanks to both of you for your replies.