Plusnet ot Nildram- Help me decide

Old August 23rd 04, 10:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John R Whale

Default Plusnet ot Nildram- Help me decide

Ok I have had 512k adsl from Clara for past three years. This has been fine
more or less, Clara dont provide a faster home service, up until now this
has not been an issue because my line cannot get a faster service. However
with the new limits I should be able to get at least 1 meg if not 2 meg if I
want it. I have decided its time to move to another ISP. I have narrowed
it down to 2, Plusnet and Nildram. I want your help to help me decide, your
experiences and comments please.
thanks

Old August 23rd 04, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phillip Deackes

In article , John R Whale wrote:
Ok I have had 512k adsl from Clara for past three years. This has been fine
more or less, Clara dont provide a faster home service, up until now this
has not been an issue because my line cannot get a faster service. However
with the new limits I should be able to get at least 1 meg if not 2 meg if I
want it. I have decided its time to move to another ISP. I have narrowed
it down to 2, Plusnet and Nildram. I want your help to help me decide, your
experiences and comments please.

I have been with a few broadband IPs - Eclipse, Nildram, Zen and PlusNet. For
me, Zen was the least good - their accounts department made such a mess of my
account and the download speed I got was a lot less than with the other IPs. I
appreciate that the speed problem could well have been down to my local
exchange.

Nildram were OK, but not as good as I had been led to believe.

PlusNet are excellent - I like the way they frequent these newsgroups and the
ease of contacting them and speaking to someone who can do something. They are
upfront about any problems, and to top it all they are cheaper than Nildram and
I get the fastest download speed of all the IPs I have been with.

I have had experience of PlusNet before, when I used ISDN and I was impressed
then too.

Be aware that Nildram have just been acquired by Pipex . . . . .

--

To reply by email please replace 'news' with 'phillip' in my email
address

Phillip Deackes
Old August 23rd 04, 12:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
fred bloggs

"John R Whale" wrote in message
Ok I have had 512k adsl from Clara for past three years. This has been

fine
more or less, Clara dont provide a faster home service, up until now this
has not been an issue because my line cannot get a faster service. However
with the new limits I should be able to get at least 1 meg if not 2 meg if

want it. I have decided its time to move to another ISP. I have narrowed
it down to 2, Plusnet and Nildram. I want your help to help me decide,

your
experiences and comments please.
thanks

Hi John,

I cannot comment on Nildram as I have never used them. However, I can
heartily recommend Plusnet.

I have been with them for just over a year using their Homeworker 2Meg pipe.
Yes, there have been a couple of times when it has gone down as the usual
moaning minnies will point out, but those were due to BT and not Plus. The
important thing in such situations is having a backup and keeping users
informed, both of which Plus do well. My speed is consistent, pings are low
(if you are into gaming that is), although I have tweaked the link to
maximise it. Newsgroups are fair as they have just upgraded their servers.
I was with BTOpewoe before and what a contrast Plus are to that bunch.

In the end I think it comes down to value for money: they are not the
cheapest, but from my experience I have no complaints whatsoever.

Regards, Mike

p.s. If you do go with Plus, would you put me down as a referrer - I get 50p
off if you do.

Old August 23rd 04, 12:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

Old August 23rd 04, 05:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Quinton

On 23 Aug 2004 08:51:30 GMT, Phillip Deackes
wrote:

I have been with a few broadband IPs - Eclipse, Nildram, Zen and PlusNet

What did you find wrong with Eclipse, Philip?
--
FREE phonecalls with other TalkTalk customers: http://www.bizorg.co.uk/shopping/talktalk/
Locate your Mobile phone: http://www.bizorg.co.uk/news.html
Old August 23rd 04, 05:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 23 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, David Quinton wrote:

What did you find wrong with Eclipse, Philip?

probably nothing - one of my clients found them very helpful though I
think billing was a little haphazard... another is using them on ISDN
(until a week or two when an extra line should be installed and he plans
to upgrade to one of the 'Flex' accounts). Must say they are probably a
step in the right direction if no other ISP is providing the flexibility
tha some Bulldog accounts seem to have had (PrimeTime style was quite an
enviable account in operation, and good value for money too) Peter M.
Old August 23rd 04, 06:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phillip Deackes

In article , David Quinton wrote:

What did you find wrong with Eclipse, Philip?

Not a lot. I would say out of all the IPs I have been with, Eclipse come
second to PlusNet. I can't remember what caused me to change it was a while
ago now. Nothing major, though.

Old August 23rd 04, 06:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phillip Deackes

In article , Ian wrote:

Phillip..I was thinking of going with Pipex. Are you giving a warning?

Pipex used to be an excellent IP. Indeed, some think they still are. They
pioneered cheap broadband access and were, to some extent, a victim of their
own success. I have heard a lot of negative feedback about them, though.

After my experience with NTL, before I changed to ADSL, I really appreciate an
IP you can have a conversation with. Communication is the name of the game,
after all. Zen, for example, never once replied to any emails I sent them.
Eclipse have proved difficult to talk to on accasions, as have Nildram.

PlusNet, on the other hand, are there 24 hours a day and will sort things out
if necessary. As I said before, they are open about problems and the company
seems quite 'decent'.

At the end of the day you are at the mercy of BT when you use ADSL. If there
is a problem at the local exchange, or somewhere else on the BT network then
it doesn't matter which IP you are with, your experience will not be good.

Old August 23rd 04, 09:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Phillip Deackes" wrote in message
In article , Ian wrote:

[...]

Most helpful. Thank you
Ian

Old August 23rd 04, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Thomas

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 at 09:03:25 John R Whale wrote:

Ok I have had 512k adsl from Clara for past three years. This has been fine
more or less, Clara dont provide a faster home service, up until now this
has not been an issue because my line cannot get a faster service. However
with the new limits I should be able to get at least 1 meg if not 2 meg if I
want it. I have decided its time to move to another ISP. I have narrowed
it down to 2, Plusnet and Nildram. I want your help to help me decide, your
experiences and comments please.

I've just done that very thing: ClaraNet 512kb - PlusNet 2Mb. Looking
at my tickets on their excellent support pages, my 512Kb was activated
on 26th July and my 2Mb on 4th August. I haven't been with them long so
my experience is mainly with the migration, which went very smoothly.
The service has been excellent so far.

You may want to ring Clara support and ask them to change your account
to a "retention" one so that you can keep your Clara email address (it
may come in useful).
--
Steve Thomas

Better than Sage http://www.diamond-discovery.com