BT broadband in Birmingham ... and salespeople ... sic

Old August 23rd 04, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Stender

Default BT broadband in Birmingham ... and salespeople ... sic

Hi there,

I have a sister living in Birmingham, who asked me for advice regarding
getting a new computer.
There are not very technical, had stuggled with virusses and never plays
games on the computer anyway, so I told them to get a Mac.

So they call BT to find out about broadband, and the person tells them, that
they support Win9x,Win2k/XP, MacOS 10.1, 10.2 but not 10.3, which they have
on their 15" PowerBook ...

So they are a bit like "you said we should get a Mac, and now we can't get
broadband!"

I'm technically savvy, and thinks this is really odd.
I mean, here in Denmark, broadband is a a splitterbox/filter, a modem and
then a router. You connect whatever you have to the router, get an IP-adress
from the DHCP-server in the router, and you are online. End of story.

So do BT use a USB-thing and don't have MacOS 10.3 drivers or what? My
sisters PowerBook has build-in WiFi, so they want wireless anyway.

So here is the question: Is, for some reason, wireless broadband not
available in the Birmingham area, does anyone know? (Or was the salesperson
slow ...?)

Best regards
Martin

Old August 23rd 04, 10:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alistair Cockeram

[Martin Stender wrote in uk.telecom.broadband]
[...]
So they are a bit like "you said we should get a Mac, and now we can't get
broadband!"

I'm technically savvy, and thinks this is really odd.
I mean, here in Denmark, broadband is a a splitterbox/filter, a modem and
then a router. You connect whatever you have to the router, get an IP-adress
from the DHCP-server in the router, and you are online. End of story.

This is correct.

So do BT use a USB-thing and don't have MacOS 10.3 drivers or what? My
sisters PowerBook has build-in WiFi, so they want wireless anyway.

May I suggest checking www.adslguide.org.uk for an alternative supplier
as there are many decent ADSL providers who will be happy to provide a
service meeting your requirements.

So here is the question: Is, for some reason, wireless broadband not
available in the Birmingham area, does anyone know? (Or was the salesperson
slow ...?)

Slow sales person. It is perfectly possible, you will simply need a
wireless adsl router.

--
Alistair Cockeram, Badford UK
Old August 23rd 04, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Martin Stender" wrote in message
[...]

Broadband is available if their exchange is enabled, and it doesn't matter what
computer they use. They do not support linux but people still use it. I think
what they mean when they say they donot support it, is that they cannot support
it if there is a problem. Thats down to BT not training their staff. All your
sister needs to do is to choose an isp who does support Mac10.3

Old August 23rd 04, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phillip Deackes

In article , Martin Stender wrote:

So do BT use a USB-thing and don't have MacOS 10.3 drivers or what? My
sisters PowerBook has build-in WiFi, so they want wireless anyway.

So here is the question: Is, for some reason, wireless broadband not
available in the Birmingham area, does anyone know? (Or was the salesperson
slow ...?)

Hi Martin.

Firstly, I wouldn't consider using a USB ADSL modem.

Secondly I wouldn't consider using BT as an Internet provider.

If ADSL is available at an exchange you can choose any ADSL provider. I
recommend PlusNet, there are plenty of other good companies.

Sign up with an Internet provider, then buy an all-in-one ADSL router, moden
and wireless base station. The Belkin F5D7630uk4A retails at around 80 GBP in
Dixons. I use mine with an Apple PowerMac G5, a G4 iBook, a Windows laptop, 2
Windows PCs and a networked USB hub connected to three printers and a scanner.
The whole network works perfectly.

The Belkin connects to the phone socket and it makes the connection to your
Internet provider. Any attached computer then has 'always-on' access to the
Internet. All the overheads occur in the router rather than in your computer
as with a USB modem.

--

To reply by email please replace 'news' with 'phillip' in my email
address

Phillip Deackes
Old August 23rd 04, 07:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Phillip Deackes wrote:

[...]

as she is in Birmingham she probably has the cable option also, see:

http://www.telewest.co.uk/html/internet/internet.htm