BT broadband problems

Old August 23rd 04, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SwissTony

Default BT broadband problems

Hi guys/gals
My friend has just got BT bb and is having problems.
From what he has said, he can connect to the internet, but can only surf the
bt website. He can't get to any other websites e.g. ebay e.t.c.
He is using a usb modem, i do not know the brand.
If anyone else on here has bt bb, when u first got it, did they send a peice
of paper with your username on it???
I know they don't use passwords for BT

Any ideas??

Many Thanks
Gareth

Old August 23rd 04, 11:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SwissTony

"SwissTony" wrote in message
Hi guys/gals
My friend has just got BT bb and is having problems.
From what he has said, he can connect to the internet, but can only surf

the
bt website. He can't get to any other websites e.g. ebay e.t.c.
He is using a usb modem, i do not know the brand.
If anyone else on here has bt bb, when u first got it, did they send a

peice
of paper with your username on it???
I know they don't use passwords for BT

Any ideas??

Many Thanks
Gareth

Forgot to say OS is win me

Old August 23rd 04, 12:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:45:24 +0100, "SwissTony"
wrote:

"SwissTony" wrote in message
Hi guys/gals
My friend has just got BT bb and is having problems.
From what he has said, he can connect to the internet, but can only surf

the
bt website. He can't get to any other websites e.g. ebay e.t.c.
He is using a usb modem, i do not know the brand.
If anyone else on here has bt bb, when u first got it, did they send a

peice
of paper with your username on it???
I know they don't use passwords for BT

Any ideas??

Many Thanks
Gareth

Forgot to say OS is win me

Don't use the product, but have been involved with one setup. The
Welcome Booklet states what the format of the userid would be
] but the end user could find no
introductory letter to confirm this - perhaps they don't send one out.
I found that the user password needs to be left blank but noted if one
was required by the modem then BT could be used. If the hardware
doesn't require a password, then using that password causes the
connection to fail.

I think that if I was faced with this problem of not seeing other WEB
sites, I would focus my attention on the DNS settings in the PC. Get
these IP numbers from the BT help desk but allow loads of time for the
phone to be answered - if anyone knows what these are, it would be
helpful if they could be posted here.

In case the browser settings have been corrupted by previous
downloads, use the command window to ping a well know site, such as
www.bbc.co.uk to check that a path through can be established. If it
can, look closely at the browser settings to ensure all is well.
Setting it for "Never dial a connection" and removing any routing via
a proxy server may be an answer to your prayers.

David Bradley
Old August 23rd 04, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
:::Jerry::::

"David Bradley" wrote in message
snip
Don't use the product, but have been involved with one setup. The
Welcome Booklet states what the format of the userid would be
]

So, if you were using the product, someone who also uses the product could
now use your bandwidth by changing their setting to
] ? I hope there more safe guards than that
somewhere !

Why are people on Usenet so trusting about giving out this kind of
information, rather than just telling the OP to phone the help desk...

Old August 23rd 04, 12:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John R Whale

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message

"David Bradley" wrote in message
snip
Don't use the product, but have been involved with one setup. The
Welcome Booklet states what the format of the userid would be
]

So, if you were using the product, someone who also uses the product could
now use your bandwidth by changing their setting to
] ? I hope there more safe guards than that
somewhere !

My sister has the BT ADSL and helped her set it up. I too was confused about
the password and phoned the helpdesk, and indeed you do not need one just
the email address. As far as security is concerned I was assured that you
could only autheticate if you were using the adsl line related to that
account so I dont think there is a lot of risk there.

Why are people on Usenet so trusting about giving out this kind of
information, rather than just telling the OP to phone the help desk...

I must agree one one point, the first point of call for the OP is the ISP
surely. But it does look as if this is a DNS problem.

Old August 23rd 04, 01:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SwissTony

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message

"David Bradley" wrote in message
snip
Don't use the product, but have been involved with one setup. The
Welcome Booklet states what the format of the userid would be
]

So, if you were using the product, someone who also uses the product could
now use your bandwidth by changing their setting to
] ? I hope there more safe guards than that
somewhere !

Why are people on Usenet so trusting about giving out this kind of
information, rather than just telling the OP to phone the help desk...

I believe you username is specific to the phone number, so i couldn't
connect using my details on my friends line who is using the same provider.

Old August 23rd 04, 01:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SwissTony

[...]

I thought it could be DNS but he can access BT's website, he can't access
any others though.
I will get him to ping google as i have the ip for that, i will see if he
can ping the ip to.

Cheers
Gaz

Old August 23rd 04, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:28:43 +0100, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

"David Bradley" wrote in message
.. .
snip
Don't use the product, but have been involved with one setup. The
Welcome Booklet states what the format of the userid would be
]

So, if you were using the product, someone who also uses the product could
now use your bandwidth by changing their setting to
] ? I hope there more safe guards than that
somewhere !

Why are people on Usenet so trusting about giving out this kind of
information, rather than just telling the OP to phone the help desk...

I don't think so, my broadband supplier is not BT. There was nothing
in the message to indicate who I was helping and the information given
is in the public domain. And if you have ever tried to use another BT
Broadband userid on your equipment you will quickly discover that the
userid is tied to the phone number.

And how helpful is it to tell the OP to ring the help desk on an 0870
number when all he wanted to know is available for free here. I
originally thought it was on an 0845 number [as stated in the booklet]
but the nature of my enquiry required me to use an 0870 number.

Quite frankly your presence on this newsgroup [in this instance] is as
useful as a chocolate teapot.

David Bradley

Old August 23rd 04, 01:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message

"David Bradley" wrote in message
snip
Don't use the product, but have been involved with one setup. The
Welcome Booklet states what the format of the userid would be
]

So, if you were using the product, someone who also uses the product could
now use your bandwidth by changing their setting to
] ? I hope there more safe guards than that
somewhere !

Why are people on Usenet so trusting about giving out this kind of
information, rather than just telling the OP to phone the help desk...

It is secure. They use your phone number to authenticate you, same system they
have with Midband.

Old August 23rd 04, 01:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:09:09 +0100, "SwissTony"
wrote:

[snip]

I thought it could be DNS but he can access BT's website, he can't access
any others though.
I will get him to ping google as i have the ip for that, i will see if he
can ping the ip to.

Cheers
Gaz

In this instance we are trying to determine if DNS is resovilng names
to IP numbers so pre-knowlege of an IP number is not a requiste.

IMHO the reason just the BT WEB site is displayed is because that is
where your initial connection is made through an IP number. It is
indeed moving onto other sites that you will need the help of DNS.

As I said previously, try www.bbc.co.uk - does it resove down to an IP
number?

David Bradley