Plusnet - Usage statistics

Old August 23rd 04, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stone Free

Default Plusnet - Usage statistics

I am confused with what's going on with the view my usage statistics.
The first day of my account being active I thought that the usage shown
looked a little high. But I could work out the first how the first 20
MBytes where used. On Saturday I started logging what I have been
downloading, I also downloaded a program called BWMeter. The number of
MBytes logged before running BWMeter (including its downloading) was
9.43Mbytes and BWMeter logged 15.3Mbytes which makes a total of
24.73MBytes. Now at first BWMeter was not setup to start as a service,
so there would have been a small amount of time when it was not logging
usage, but 24.73 MBytes out of 45.03MBytes is a large number to be
unidentified.

I am using Windows XP and the automatic updates icon has stayed at 0%, so
I don't think it is that. I am also running Kerio Firewall and I can't
see anything in the logs looking suspicious.

I have a Netgear 834G Router, and I have already disabled the Wireless
Access Point.

On getting to work Monday morning I had a quick look at the usage
statistics, and it said I had used 0.09Mbytes. I have not had the
computer on at all today, so this is simply impossible. It is now
showing 0.10Mbytes so usage is going up despite the fact that I am not at
home to use my ADSL account, and my home computer is not even on.
Old August 23rd 04, 11:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Naismith

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:13:54 -0000, Stone Free
spam_KillKillKillstone_freeNoSpamPleaseWereBritis
wrote:

On getting to work Monday morning I had a quick look at the usage
statistics, and it said I had used 0.09Mbytes. I have not had the
computer on at all today, so this is simply impossible. It is now
showing 0.10Mbytes so usage is going up despite the fact that I am not at
home to use my ADSL account, and my home computer is not even on.

Your router is on? If so then it's probably just the usual "background
noise" of the internet - port probes. It looks about the right sort of
volume (mine runs at about 100kB per IP address per day.
--
John Naismith
Old August 23rd 04, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew

"Stone Free"
spam_KillKillKillstone_freeNoSpamPleaseWereBritis wrote in
message . 3.50...
[...]

If you router has been connected then yes, its possible to have usage
while your pc wasnt on. It will either be your router receiving some
packets, (basically background noise) or stopping any random port
accesses.

Andrew

Old August 23rd 04, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth :-\) voom

[...]

My usage on Plusnet was showing as 3GB 3 days after my billing date even
though I had only been using it to download email. I sent a message via the
Plusnet portal as C/S don't deal with the enquiries via the telephone??? (or
that's what I was told) and I got a message back saying it was an error on
Plusnet's part and they would investigate it.

They sent me an estimated date that the investigation would be finished
which was a month after I reported it. I cancelled my account as this was
one of many problems I had with them. Complete waste of time (my personal
opinion). Wish I would have kept my bloody NTL broadband now...perfect
service even with the dodgy c/s.

Old August 23rd 04, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stone Free

"Andrew" wrote in
:
If you router has been connected then yes, its possible to have usage
while your pc wasnt on. It will either be your router receiving some
packets, (basically background noise) or stopping any random port
accesses.

Andrew
The number of MBytes logged before running BWMeter (including its
downloading) was 9.43Mbytes and BWMeter logged 15.3Mbytes which makes
a total of 24.73MBytes. Now at first BWMeter was not setup to start
as a service, so there would have been a small amount of time when it
was not logging usage, but 24.73 MBytes out of 45.03MBytes is a large
number to be unidentified.

My bigger worry is about the usuage when I am actually connected. I have
no idea where the other 20.3Mbytes went on Saturday. I want to know where
the extra 58 to 82 percent usage goes.