Metronet - Any good?

Old August 23rd 04, 01:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jet

Default Metronet - Any good?

Hi

I'm looking at moving from Blueyonder Broadband 512/256 @ 24.99 pcm who I
have been with for a few years(I have cable tv and a phone line with them
also, hence the discounted price.

I already have a BT line with an adsl enabled exchange, the master socket
right by the computer and an STLabs Broadband router (cheap stuff, but it
does the job) for hard-wired networking between 2 additional computers.

I followed a thread on here and it led me to Metronet.co.uk... They operate
a PAYG service, min 3 month contract pay in arrears. Their 2MB package
looks best to suit me.

I have been lurking here and adslguide for the past few months and haven't
come across much feedback about Metronet... Maybe a good thing, because all
their customers are content, or too dodgy and everyone steers clear,
whatever.

Was wondering if anyone has any experiences / comments / criticisms about
Metronet?

tia

--
Jet

Old August 23rd 04, 02:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:58:00 GMT, "Jet" wrote:

I have been lurking here and adslguide for the past few months and haven't
come across much feedback about Metronet... Maybe a good thing, because all
their customers are content, or too dodgy and everyone steers clear,
whatever.

adslguide have a metronet forum at
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist...Board=metronet

generally 90% of what I hear about them is positive

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old August 23rd 04, 05:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Omney

"Jet" wrote in message
.uk...
Hi

Was wondering if anyone has any experiences / comments / criticisms about
Metronet?

Been with them about 7 weeks now, I personally have had no problems at all.

I understand there has been some minor outages recently (BT problems) which
did not affect me.

At least they let you know what's going on unlike some ISP's I could mention

Old August 23rd 04, 06:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Deag

[...]

I switched from BY to ADSL and regretted it I then switched back, BY is far
more stable and faster, remember that the £25 month charge actually gives
you 750Mb speed now not 512. 750 is not much less than what some 1Mb ADSL
services give you in actual speed sometimes. The only downside with BY is
the upload speed of 128Mb but I can live with that.

Old August 23rd 04, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

Was wondering if anyone has any experiences / comments / criticisms about
Metronet?

tia

Been with them for almost 12 months. Excellent service, but I don't game.
Average bill has been around £16 per month. They also support Linux if
you need it.

Usual disclaimer

Dave

Old August 24th 04, 12:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Matthew Sylvester

In article ,
"Jet" wrote:

Was wondering if anyone has any experiences / comments / criticisms about
Metronet?

Been with them about 3 months on 512k, everything absolutely perfect.
Good progress reports during signup process, likewise customer updates.
Haven't needed tech support so can't comment :-)
Old August 24th 04, 09:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Jet wrote:
Was wondering if anyone has any experiences / comments / criticisms about
Metronet?

I recommended their ADSL PAYG service to a friend of mine.

He has absolutely zero tolerance when it comes to being messed about
with products or services.
He's been connected for a couple of months, and is very happy !

Old August 24th 04, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Blunt

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:49:10 +0100, Phil Thompson
wrote:

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:58:00 GMT, "Jet" wrote:

I have been lurking here and adslguide for the past few months and haven't
come across much feedback about Metronet... Maybe a good thing, because all
their customers are content, or too dodgy and everyone steers clear,
whatever.

adslguide have a metronet forum at
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist...Board=metronet

generally 90% of what I hear about them is positive

As a user of their 512kb service, I would say that's an accurate
representation of what they're like. I migrated to Metronet from BT
about a year ago and I've been very satisfied with them.

I suppose a lot depends on what you want from the service. I spend
large periods of time overseas so don't want to be paying full whack
for a service which I only use part of the time. Metronet's PAYG
tariff structure means that I pay only £10 a month while I'm away from
the UK, but have the service available immediately when I return.

Chris