NTL Suitable Modem/Router?

Old August 23rd 04, 02:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Hutchings

Default NTL Suitable Modem/Router?

Chap here wants to be able to connect his work laptop to the net via his
NTL connection at home.

He already has several PCs at home, and has to plug/unplug each one to the
NTL brick using an ethernet connection.

From what he's said, the PC is assigned a public IP, so I'm guessing it's a
modem and no NAT is happening?

My thoughts are get a suitable router and he can use it's NAT/firewalling
capabilities to have several PCs connected at once, including his home
machine?

Any thoughts on a cheap yet suitable router? I'm not at all familiar with
NTLs way of doing broadband.

TIA,
Paul
paul at spamcop.net
Old August 23rd 04, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Hutchings

Harvey Van Sickle wrote in
:

The router (Belkin version 1223UK) will take up to 4 hard-wired PCs,
and claims to handle up to 64 wireless connections (either notebooks or
desktops, via wireless cards).

Thanks, my main query was if a router with modem is needed, or if these
cheap "cable/dsl" routers would do the job, i.e Linksys BEFSR41 at around
thirty quid?

regards,
Paul

paul at spamcop.net
Old August 23rd 04, 03:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Frank le Spikkin

Paul Hutchings wrote in
. 1.4:

Thanks, my main query was if a router with modem is needed, or
if these cheap "cable/dsl" routers would do the job, i.e Linksys
BEFSR41 at around thirty quid?

Yep. The cable modem supplied by NTL has both USB and Ethernet
connections. Cable/DSL router, BEFSR41 or similar, will work fine.
ADSL modem router won't work.
Old August 23rd 04, 03:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harvey Van Sickle

On 23 Aug 2004, Paul Hutchings wrote

Chap here wants to be able to connect his work laptop to the net
via his NTL connection at home.

He already has several PCs at home, and has to plug/unplug each
one to the NTL brick using an ethernet connection.

From what he's said, the PC is assigned a public IP, so I'm
guessing it's a modem and no NAT is happening?

My thoughts are get a suitable router and he can use it's
NAT/firewalling capabilities to have several PCs connected at
once, including his home machine?

Any thoughts on a cheap yet suitable router? I'm not at all
familiar with NTLs way of doing broadband.

I use a Belkin 802.11g wireless router, with a network card for the
notebook -- the router cost me about £60 at PCWorld, and the card
another £25 or £30. (One can undoubtedly find equivalents at less cost
on the Internet.)

The router (Belkin version 1223UK) will take up to 4 hard-wired PCs,
and claims to handle up to 64 wireless connections (either notebooks or
desktops, via wireless cards).

HTH

--
Cheers,
Harvey
Old August 23rd 04, 04:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harvey Van Sickle

On 23 Aug 2004, Paul Hutchings wrote

Harvey Van Sickle wrote in
:

The router (Belkin version 1223UK) will take up to 4 hard-wired
PCs, and claims to handle up to 64 wireless connections (either
notebooks or desktops, via wireless cards).

Thanks, my main query was if a router with modem is needed, or if
these cheap "cable/dsl" routers would do the job, i.e Linksys
BEFSR41 at around thirty quid?

My "not so cheap" Belkin doesn't have a modem: it's just an adsl/cable
router. (I'm on a cable modem rather than one of ntl's set-top box
connections, but I don't think that makes any difference -- the modem
side of things is taken care of by the ntl kit, and all you need is a
router.)

The fount of all knowledge on cable modems, setting up, networking,
etc. is Robin Walker -- you'll undoubtedly find some good info on his
pages:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...ips/index.html

--
Cheers,
Harvey
Old August 23rd 04, 04:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harvey Van Sickle

On 23 Aug 2004, Harvey Van Sickle wrote

-snip-

The fount of all knowledge on cable modems, setting up,
networking, etc. is Robin Walker -- you'll undoubtedly find some
good info on his pages:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...ips/index.html

Found the relevant page:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...s/homelan.html

HTH

--
Cheers,
Harvey
Old August 23rd 04, 04:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Hutchings

Harvey Van Sickle wrote in
:

Found the relevant page:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...s/homelan.html

Thanks, implication seems to be that the cheapy linksys routers do the job.

regards,
Paul
paul at spamcop.net
Old August 23rd 04, 05:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keef

"Paul Hutchings" wrote in message
. 1.4...
Harvey Van Sickle wrote in
:
Thanks, my main query was if a router with modem is needed, or if these
cheap "cable/dsl" routers would do the job, i.e Linksys BEFSR41 at around
thirty quid?

No, you don't need a modem with any router you use on an NTL connection, the
STB (set top box) or SCM (stand-a-lone Cable Modem) acts as the modem; you
just need a plain router. I used a Linksys BEFW11S4 (includes wireless) with
my NTL connection and still use it but have added a Netgear DM602 to use an
ADSL connection.

Regards - Keef
--
Dartford Kent UK
Email

Old August 23rd 04, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Hutchings

"Keef" wrote in :

No, you don't need a modem with any router you use on an NTL
connection, the STB (set top box) or SCM (stand-a-lone Cable Modem)
acts as the modem; you just need a plain router. I used a Linksys
BEFW11S4 (includes wireless) with my NTL connection and still use it
but have added a Netgear DM602 to use an ADSL connection.

Thanks, probably a silly question but as I'm not an NTL customer, what's
the connection between the router and whatever it is they terminate the
cable feed with? RJ11 or RJ45?

IIRC there was some fuss about NTL customers needing to "unlock" their
connection - presumably nowdays it's just a case of plug in router, set
external NIC to DHCP and away you go?

cheers,
Paul
paul at spamcop.net
Old August 23rd 04, 06:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wood

In message , Paul
Hutchings writes
"Keef" wrote in :

No, you don't need a modem with any router you use on an NTL
connection, the STB (set top box) or SCM (stand-a-lone Cable Modem)
acts as the modem; you just need a plain router. I used a Linksys
BEFW11S4 (includes wireless) with my NTL connection and still use it
but have added a Netgear DM602 to use an ADSL connection.

Thanks, probably a silly question but as I'm not an NTL customer, what's
the connection between the router and whatever it is they terminate the
cable feed with? RJ11 or RJ45?

ntl: isolator to cable modem or STB is low-loss coax with F-type
connectors, which the ntl: engineer will install.

ntl: cable modem or STB to router is 10Base-T Ethernet (so RJ45). As an
alternative, most ntl: kit has a USB B port - you can use this with a
USB cable if you want to connect the cable modem directly to a computer
that lacks an Ethernet port (either built in or on a NIC), though this
isn't recommended.

IIRC there was some fuss about NTL customers needing to "unlock" their
connection - presumably nowdays it's just a case of plug in router, set
external NIC to DHCP and away you go?

That was to do with ntl:'s DHCP servers not allocating an IP address to
a different MAC address behind the cable modem - usually sorted by
power-cycling the cable modem.

These days the DHCP servers tend not to be quite so troublesome -
changing your equipment tends to work without power-cycling the cable
modem.

David
--
David Wood