BT Yahoo 15gb limit

Old August 23rd 04, 03:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Default BT Yahoo 15gb limit

Has anyone got broadband from BTYahoo here? As most of you know, I am looking to
upgrade to broadband next month to BTY.
One thing that concerns me is the 15gb limit and how people are managing to stay
within this limit. Like streaming radio, games trailers and normal web
browsing. Are normal users able to stick with this limit?
I am not into illegal file sharing, so will not be downloading games and
software, it will just be normal use.. But I want to try out new things like
videos online, streaming media, maybe launchast radio and a few other things.
Do these things use alot of bandwidth?
Please no comments about my chosen isp, I know there are better deals out there,
but BTY is my choice.
Thanks if you can help on this matter.

Old August 23rd 04, 03:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Beck" wrote in message
Has anyone got broadband from BTYahoo here? As most of you know, I am looking

upgrade to broadband next month to BTY.
One thing that concerns me is the 15gb limit and how people are managing to

stay
within this limit. Like streaming radio, games trailers and normal web
browsing. Are normal users able to stick with this limit?
I am not into illegal file sharing, so will not be downloading games and
software, it will just be normal use.. But I want to try out new things like
videos online, streaming media, maybe launchast radio and a few other things.
Do these things use alot of bandwidth?
Please no comments about my chosen isp, I know there are better deals out

there,
but BTY is my choice.
Thanks if you can help on this matter.

Scrap that, just realised the limit is not in force until next year. rolls
eyes

Old August 23rd 04, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martyn Dewar

Beck wrote:

"Beck" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, but its a 12 month contract, with the usage restrictions coming
into place in January.
Old August 23rd 04, 06:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Martyn Dewar" wrote in message
Beck wrote:

"Beck" wrote in message

[...]

Thats alright, I will ask again in january :-)

Old August 23rd 04, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
sarah

Beck wrote:

Thats alright, I will ask again in january :-)

Make it easy on yourself - select an ISP without a cap. Even better,
without a 12 month contract!!
Old August 23rd 04, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"sarah" wrote in message
Beck wrote:

Thats alright, I will ask again in january :-)

Make it easy on yourself - select an ISP without a cap. Even better,
without a 12 month contract!!

I am happy with my choice, thanks :-)

Old August 24th 04, 01:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
sarah

Beck wrote:

I am happy with my choice, thanks :-)

Really? Is it the poor email facilities, the joke of a news-server, or
the general over-pricing that attracts you?
Perhaps its the recent addition of the cap, or the fact that always-on
really means mostly-off?
You can't help some people......

Old August 24th 04, 01:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
sarah

chris wrote:

To be fair, and I am NO fan of BT, BTYahoo's 1mbit offering is actually
very competitively priced. Wonder how stringently the usage cap of
30gigs will be enforced?

Oh yes? Competitive with Plusnet for example - the same price, but no
cap! And many other features that BTY wouldn't know how to provide, like
support on the phone, a static IP adddress, cgi webspace, no port
blocking, no traffic throttling.
Old August 24th 04, 12:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"sarah" wrote in message
Beck wrote:

I am happy with my choice, thanks :-)

Really? Is it the poor email facilities, the joke of a news-server, or
the general over-pricing that attracts you?
Perhaps its the recent addition of the cap, or the fact that always-on
really means mostly-off?
You can't help some people......

Have had BTopenworld adsl before. Email was fine, had 12 months of error free
service, news server was a bit flaky back then, but its okay now. I do not even
think it is overpriced. Its the other companies who are underpricing themselves,
they will suffer in the long run. Its my decision and I am happy to stay with
BTY.

Old August 24th 04, 12:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
b0yce

"sarah" wrote in message
Beck wrote:

I am happy with my choice, thanks :-)

Really? Is it the poor email facilities, the joke of a news-server, or
the general over-pricing that attracts you?
Perhaps its the recent addition of the cap, or the fact that always-on
really means mostly-off?
You can't help some people......

I have been with BT for 3 years now and never once had any problems with
Email, News Server or line connections. In addition to this I have never had
a reason to use the customer support, I work in IT, so I can't comment on
that side.

I was a bit peeved to find out that after the amount of time I have had
broadband with them, that they are now deciding to cap usage limits. They
seem to be doing this because it was said that all other ISPs were going to
cap - "it's the way internet usage is going", but that still isn't the case
with some ISPs advertising solely on No Usage Capping. For the record I
never have exceeded the "precautionary" 1 Gb per day limit neither.

As for prices, I have always understood that I have been overpaying by 3-10
per month over, but it's more of the fact that since I have never had any
trouble, why go asking for more? The price ratio has dropped again recently
since I upgraded for "free" when they went from 512Kb to 1 Mb for the same
price recently...

b0yce