Distortion

Old August 23rd 04, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Galen

Default Distortion

Can anyone suggest why I might get distortion on voice calls over the voice
section of my broadband line in one direction only? Calls to/from any of my
three phones (two digital cordless and one analogue corded), sound muffled
and slightly "metallic" at the remote end, whilst at this end there is no
noticeable distortion at all. The calls sound the same when calling to/from
landlines or mobiles. It makes no difference whether my home phones
originate the calls or receive them. Disconnecting one or more phones has no
effect. I changed the three filters for high spec ones - it made no
difference at all. To the best of my knowledge the problem didn't exist from
the broadband installation onwards, but appeared since - but I wouldn't like
to be too positive about the timing as I rarely call into here, only out -
so I may just not have noticed. Of course, it may not be connected to the
fact that it is a broadband connection - it's possible it would have
happened on a normal landline. I can think of lots of things that could
cause interference (and have tested them all - mobile phones, Bluetooth
adaptors, etc. etc) but not that could cause distortion one way only -
that's the bizarre bit. Has anyone any ideas?

--
Regards,

Bob

Remove "x" from address to reply by email

Old August 24th 04, 01:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

Galen wrote:
Can anyone suggest why I might get distortion on voice calls over the
voice section of my broadband line in one direction only? Calls
to/from any of my three phones (two digital cordless and one analogue
corded), sound muffled and slightly "metallic" at the remote end,
whilst at this end there is no noticeable distortion at all. The
calls sound the same when calling to/from landlines or mobiles. It
makes no difference whether my home phones originate the calls or
receive them. Disconnecting one or more phones has no effect. I
changed the three filters for high spec ones - it made no difference
at all. To the best of my knowledge the problem didn't exist from the

snip

Assuming it's a BT line, call BT faults on 151.

Old August 25th 04, 08:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Galen

"Dominic" wrote in message
Galen wrote:
Can anyone suggest why I might get distortion on voice calls over the
voice section of my broadband line in one direction only? Calls

Assuming it's a BT line, call BT faults on 151.

I had the line checked, and BT said is was OK - but I guess I'd better try
again and see if a different operative has any new ideas.

Old August 25th 04, 12:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Omney

Galen wrote:

[...]

Not clear from your OP.

Have you disconnected every thing (filters, phones sky box etc etc) and
tried from one phone on the master socket.

If there is still a problem go back to BT 151 and get them to check for
one way transmission problems.
Some of the automated tests that BT do, do not show up one transmission
problems depending on the fault