MTU / AOL - where to set it up

Old August 23rd 04, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Default MTU / AOL - where to set it up

One of my colleagues has gone for AOheLl and i`ve got a page bookmarked
that says AOL should have the MTU set at 1400 (its a setup page for a D-
Link router).

AFAIK this should be set on the computer itself, not the router - but am
I getting mixed up here ?

Whats the easiest util for a non-techie user to drop the MTU on XPhome -
something like drtcp ? i.e. can you simply alter the MTU and hit ok /
reboot to sort it ?

TIA :-)

Old August 23rd 04, 09:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

One of my colleagues has gone for AOheLl and i`ve got a page bookmarked
that says AOL should have the MTU set at 1400 (its a setup page for a D-
Link router).

PS: its a Belkin router he picked up - a wireless one that allows 4 wired
connections - not sure of the specific model though..

Old August 23rd 04, 11:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
One of my colleagues has gone for AOheLl and i`ve got a page bookmarked
that says AOL should have the MTU set at 1400 (its a setup page for a D-
Link router).

PS: its a Belkin router he picked up - a wireless one that allows 4 wired
connections - not sure of the specific model though..

I presume its a Belkin 7630..

Use DrTCP to change the MTU setting on the PC.

The MTU setting also needs to be changed on the router as well.. from the
routers menu choose "Connection Type", make sure PPPoA is selected and press
next.

The resulting screen should allow you to change MTU and Idle Time among
other settings

Regards
Sunil

Old August 23rd 04, 11:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

PS: its a Belkin router he picked up - a wireless one that allows 4 wired
connections - not sure of the specific model though..

I presume its a Belkin 7630..
Use DrTCP to change the MTU setting on the PC.
The MTU setting also needs to be changed on the router as well.. from the
routers menu choose "Connection Type", make sure PPPoA is selected and press
next.
The resulting screen should allow you to change MTU and Idle Time among
other settings

Thanks for that - for some reason I thought you`d only need to set it on
the PC and the router would simply carry on passing any traffic thrown at
it :-}

Old August 25th 04, 03:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Use DrTCP to change the MTU setting on the PC.

Can I ask what I fear may be a dumb question... RWIN setting...

I seem to remember there being a specific multiple or relationship
between the MTU and RWIN settings, which may vary depending on latency.

What would a "common" setting be for AOL with an MTU of 1400 ?

Old August 25th 04, 08:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
Use DrTCP to change the MTU setting on the PC.

Can I ask what I fear may be a dumb question... RWIN setting...

I seem to remember there being a specific multiple or relationship
between the MTU and RWIN settings, which may vary depending on
latency.

What would a "common" setting be for AOL with an MTU of 1400 ?

I suggest trying http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks a few times to get the
best settings

Regards
Sunil