Router Help Required

Old August 23rd 04, 11:57 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.broadband
Fitzy_bhoy

Default Router Help Required

I currently have an ADSL modem/router. I am moving house and I am going to
get NTL installed. I realise the modems are different but if I attach the
NTL modem to my router, will the router part still work?? If not can anyone
tell me a good router for use with Cable BB as all I seem to find are ADSL
ones.

Thanks
John

Old August 24th 04, 12:38 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.broadband
Fitzy_bhoy

"chris" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:57:57 +0100 and in article 412a685b$0$20248
, fitzy_bhoy said...
: I currently have an ADSL modem/router. I am moving house and I am going
: get NTL installed. I realise the modems are different but if I attach
the
: NTL modem to my router, will the router part still work??
:
No.

I have used a Linksys BESFR 41 v2 for around 12 months on NTL with 100%
uptime. Others have reported different stories tho..

--
chris

Does this unit have an inbuilt firewall/gateway?

Old August 24th 04, 01:08 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.broadband
Duane Arnold

"fitzy_bhoy" wrote in
:

I currently have an ADSL modem/router. I am moving house and I am
going to get NTL installed. I realise the modems are different but if
I attach the NTL modem to my router, will the router part still work??
If not can anyone tell me a good router for use with Cable BB as all I
seem to find are ADSL ones.

If the router is not a BB ready router, then it's not going to work. The
ISP should provide you with a BB modem or you can purchase one that is on
the ISP's approved modem list. If you purchase a modem, then the modem's
MAC must be provisioned with the ISP

You may want to find a BB router like a Linksys that does WAN MAC cloning
as you may need that to clone the first's PC NIC MAC that's connected to
the ISP's network and clone that MAC into the router so that the ISP thinks
it's the computer instead of the router. Or you can have the MAC of the
router provisioned with the ISP as well, so that the router can connect to
the ISP's network, without any MAC cloning being done.

I don't know about this NTL, but most ISP's will not support a router and
you'll have to support it yourself.

Duane

Old August 24th 04, 01:30 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.broadband
Fitzy_bhoy

"chris" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 23:38:08 +0100 and in article 412a71c6$0$20244
, fitzy_bhoy said...
: "chris" wrote in message
: ...
: On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:57:57 +0100 and in article 412a685b$0$20248
: , fitzy_bhoy said...
: : I currently have an ADSL modem/router. I am moving house and I am
going
: : get NTL installed. I realise the modems are different but if I
attach
: the
: : NTL modem to my router, will the router part still work??
: :
: No.
:
: I have used a Linksys BESFR 41 v2 for around 12 months on NTL with
100%
: uptime. Others have reported different stories tho..
:
: --
: chris
:
: Does this unit have an inbuilt firewall/gateway?
:
No. Firewall is in the form of NAT, which isn't a true firewall. If
you want a proper firewall feature can I suggest the model up

--
chris

Excuse my ignorance. But my router at the moment in running in PPPoa+NAT
mode. If nat is not a firewall then why do firewall test sites tell me that
I am completely protected. I realise that a 60 router isn't going to
protect me, but is NAT and maybe Zone alarm behind it enough for the home
user

Old August 24th 04, 01:46 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.broadband
pcbutts1

You dumbass **** you and see my top post idiot. A router is not a firewall
did you learn that from your mom?

"chris" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 23:31:12 GMT and in article 47vWc.31716$9Y6.30461
@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net, pcbutts1 said...
****ing top posting idiot. **** off and die, clueless ****.

--
chris

Old August 24th 04, 02:32 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.broadband
Ant

If it is an all in one, (Modem, and router) you will not be able to use it.
ADSL, uses a different connection to NTL.

Ant.

Old August 24th 04, 02:46 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.broadband
Duane Arnold

"fitzy_bhoy" wrote in
:

"chris" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 23:38:08 +0100 and in article 412a71c6$0$20244
, fitzy_bhoy said...
: "chris" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

Yes, a NAT router with ZA is a wise choice. Most likely, your router for
typical home usage is not a true FW appliance and meets the specs in the
link for a NAT router that has some FW like features being called FW
appliance, like Linksys, D-link, Belkin, etc., etc.

If it were a true FW appliance, then the appliance would meet the specs
in the link below like a WatchGuard, CISCO, SnapGear, etc, etc.

http://www.firewall-software.com/fir...rewall_do.html

And they would cost a lot more too, even a low-end one.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/search/Results.aspx?
key=watchguard&platform=all&x=8&y=7

http://www.cdw.com/shop/search/Resul...o+firewall&x=6
&platform=all&y=11

Duane

Old August 24th 04, 10:14 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Shaw

"chris" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:57:57 +0100 and in article 412a685b$0$20248
, fitzy_bhoy said...
: I currently have an ADSL modem/router. I am moving house and I am going

: get NTL installed. I realise the modems are different but if I attach

the
: NTL modem to my router, will the router part still work??
:
No.

I have used a Linksys BESFR 41 v2 for around 12 months on NTL with 100%
uptime. Others have reported different stories tho..

Same here. Linksys BEFSR 41 for nearly 2 years with NTL. Never had a single
problem.

Old August 24th 04, 05:35 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.broadband
Rick Merrill

Mark Shaw wrote:

I have used a Linksys BESFR 41 v2 for around 12 months on NTL with 100%
uptime. Others have reported different stories tho..

Same here. Linksys BEFSR 41 for nearly 2 years with NTL. Never had a single
problem.

Same he 4 years with BEFSR41 - even was able to replace the fuse.
- RM