Pipex or PlusNet or anyone else for that matter.

Old August 24th 04, 01:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Default Pipex or PlusNet or anyone else for that matter.

Hello,

With September 6th fast approaching I'm trying to decide on an ISP.

Pipex look good, 23.44 a month with free modem and free activation.
PlusNet come recommended by lots of people but the activation and modem have
to be paid for, but if my usage does turn out to be light, I can drop the
monthly price by adding a download cap.

As my line is about 7km I don't want to actually pay for any hardware until
I know it all works. I'll probably get a wireless router\modem anyway. I
also quite like the idea of the ISP supplying the modem as then they won't
be able to blame my own hardware if the line plays up.

As far as usage goes I'll probably use a little p2p for those American tele
shows we don't get over here but that's about it other than general surfing
and email. Maybe I'll use binary newsgroups but I doubt there is anything
on those I couldn't get via p2p.

What are the current opinions on Pipex and Plus? Are there any others I
should be considering. I'm looking for under 25 quid a month and unlimited
cap. Free activation and free hardware would be a bonus.

Cheers.

Dave.

Old August 24th 04, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Julian Knight

From Dave on 24/Aug/2004 13:54:

[...]

I'm happy enough with Plusnet (use my referral ID of "worship" if you go with
them

I've had no real problems with them though they do have problems of course just
like any ISP. They've improved the newsgroups enormously recently and they seem
fine. I've been hammering the link recently and speed is good. You also get a
good amount of web space at 250MB (hint: if you don't want a web site, use the
space for an off-site backup of critical files!). Don't use binary newsgroups
myself so I can't comment on that. P2P works well and Plusnet make a thing of
not filtering any protocols (except on their cheaper, limited offerings of
course). So VPN, P2P, etc. all works.

Personally I wouldn't use ISP provided kit as it is usually well over-priced.
Better to get a decent piece of kit from a respected supplier. I have a Draytek
Vigor 2600G wireless router. A little expensive but a fantastic piece of kit. I
get good signals just about all over our Victorian house with the router in the
loft. Even get a reasonable signal over most of the garden & I could easily
improve this by tweaking the position of the router. Definitely don't buy
anything though until you know you've passed all the tests.

--
Julian Knight, http://www.knightnet.org.uk/
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Old August 24th 04, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth Williams

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

I would seriously consider NDO www.ndo.com
I am with them and have been pleasantly surprised every time i need to
contect them. I have spoken to a human straight away and thay also have a
forum for users to post to that employees amswer queries www.ndousers.com

They also come within your budget and @ 23.50 or you can pay 27 a month and
have everythign supplied.

HTH
Gareth

Old August 24th 04, 02:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth Williams

I would seriously consider NDO www.ndo.com
I am with them and have been pleasantly surprised every time i need to
contect them. I have spoken to a human straight away and thay also have a
forum for users to post to that employees amswer queries www.ndousers.com

They also come within your budget and @ 23.50 or you can pay 27 a month

and
have everythign supplied.

HTH
Gareth

Just better add that these prices are if you pay annualy, if you pay monthly
the price goes to 24.99 and 27.99 respectively

Old August 24th 04, 02:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hopey

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Cant speak for plusnet iv never used them but been with pipex for 14 month
now and everything has been spot on iv nevery had one outage in all that
time. The email has been down once or twice but only for a very short time.
Iv checked the speed on adslguide and it seems as good as the rest and a lot
better than some. Poeple say that support are poor but i cant comment on
that as i have never needed them. The only thing that could get me to move
would be a considerably cheaper service and I mean considerable a quid a
month or so wouldent tice me away.

Hopey

Old August 24th 04, 02:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hopey

"Hopey" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Just better add Text news server is excellent Binary server is pathetic

Hopey

Old August 24th 04, 05:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Essex Computers

"Hopey" wrote in message
Cant speak for plusnet iv never used them but been with pipex for 14

month
now and everything has been spot on iv nevery had one outage in all that
time. The email has been down once or twice but only for a very short
time. Iv checked the speed on adslguide and it seems as good as the rest
and a lot better than some. Poeple say that support are poor but i cant
comment on that as i have never needed them. The only thing that could

get
me to move would be a considerably cheaper service and I mean

considerable
a quid a month or so wouldent tice me away.

Hopey

Just better add Text news server is excellent Binary server is pathetic

Hopey

Mustv agree, been with Pipex 1Mbit for about a yr and only minor problems,
main problem was a BT one, but Pipex were quite helpful, shame support
finishes at 8pm, but I guess they aim for more business than home use.

ON another front, for work I have just signed up with F2S, only because the
deal was 22.50 a month and no other costs like activation etc, then my mate
signed up for Pipex later that day after i had recomended them and there
deal was not much different

Looked at plusnet, but the costs adding up every page, with F2S its just
22.50 a month and thats it

andy

Old August 24th 04, 09:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anthony Edwards

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:06:39 +0100, Gareth Williams
wrote:

What are the current opinions on Pipex and Plus? Are there any others I
should be considering.

You may also like to consider:

http://www.ukonline.net/broadband/

UK Online is an easynet brand.

--
Anthony Edwards
easynet Ltd - Manchester

Old August 24th 04, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoSpam

wrote:

What are the current opinions on Pipex and Plus? Are there any others

should be considering.

You may also like to consider:

http://www.ukonline.net/broadband/

UK Online is an easynet brand.

Pipex are good for most things except binary newsgroups - they are pathetic
for that.

PlusNet are easy to join but difficult to leave.

Both otherwise provide more than acceptable service.

If you are in need of a decent ADSL modem, I would be inclined to go Pipex.

AMO

Old August 25th 04, 08:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"guv" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 13:54:02 +0100, "Dave"
wrote:

Maybe I'll use binary newsgroups but I doubt there is anything
on those I couldn't get via p2p.

Couldn't disagree more!

That's interesting. Everyone I know use P2p and Bittorrent rather than
binary newsgroups. I just assumed that they were better and easier to use
than binarys?

What are the current opinions on Pipex and Plus? Are there any others I
should be considering. I'm looking for under 25 quid a month and

unlimited
cap. Free activation and free hardware would be a bonus.

Wont comment on the above choices - but wouldnt recommend my current
ISP - Bulldog.

--
www.senaction.com