Newbie Q: ADSL filters

« SAR130 | Distortion »

Old August 24th 04, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian

Default Newbie Q: ADSL filters

I'm due to get broadband next week and am working out how many ADSL
filters I'll need. Everything I've seen mentions the filters for
phone equipment - am I therefore right in thinking I can plug the
gateway ADSL lead directly into the dedicated phone socket currently
used by the PC modem without a filter?

Thanks

Brian
Old August 24th 04, 10:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stewart

If you are ordering from Wanadoo and wish extra filters then be careful. I
signed up and wanted 3 filters in total, the order form asked me to pay
£9.99 for one and £29.97 for 3 which I did. When the package arrived I
found that there were 5 filters in total, the pack they offer includes 2 but
this is not clear when ordering on line.

Old August 24th 04, 10:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Brian wrote:

I'm due to get broadband next week and am working out how many ADSL
filters I'll need. Everything I've seen mentions the filters for
phone equipment - am I therefore right in thinking I can plug the
gateway ADSL lead directly into the dedicated phone socket currently
used by the PC modem without a filter?

Thanks

Brian

Yes, in principle - since the ADSL signal must not be filtered. In practice,
you may find you've got the wrong type of plug on the lead! The ADSL modem
or router will be supplied with an RJ11 plug - which won't plug straight
into a phone socket without an adapter. If the lead which you currently use
with your analog modem is in 2 bits, including an RJ11 to BT adapter,
canabalise the adapter, and you'll be ok. Otherwise, you may need another
filter - using the *unfiltered* outlet socket in lieu of an RJ11 to BT
adapter.

If your ADSL equipment will be conveniently located close to your master
phone socket, there is a far better solution - which does away with the need
for *any* separate micro-filters. That is to replace the removeable
faceplate on your master socket with an ADSL filtered faceplate - which you
can buy from Solwise or Clarity. The ADSL equipment will plug straight into
the unfiltered RJ45/RJ11 socket, and any telephone extensions connected into
the back of the faceplate (you'll have to transfer the wires from the old to
the new faceplate) will automatically be filtered.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old August 24th 04, 10:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Jones

I'm due to get broadband next week and am working out how many ADSL
filters I'll need. Everything I've seen mentions the filters for
phone equipment - am I therefore right in thinking I can plug the
gateway ADSL lead directly into the dedicated phone socket currently
used by the PC modem without a filter?

Thanks

Brian

Brian,

you will need a filter on every phone socket that has something connected to
it.

have a look at these pages
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/howitworks/splitter.asp
http://www.legend.co.uk/support/page.php?page=193
http://www.tesco.net/help/broadband/#filters

Ian

Old August 24th 04, 11:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 21:35:25 +0100, "Ian Jones"
wrote:

I'm due to get broadband next week and am working out how many ADSL
filters I'll need. Everything I've seen mentions the filters for
phone equipment - am I therefore right in thinking I can plug the
gateway ADSL lead directly into the dedicated phone socket currently
used by the PC modem without a filter?

Thanks

Brian

Brian,

you will need a filter on every phone socket that has something connected to
it.

have a look at these pages
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/howitworks/splitter.asp
http://www.legend.co.uk/support/page.php?page=193
http://www.tesco.net/help/broadband/#filters

Ian

But if there are no phones on the exchange line and you have an
appropriate lead with the right plugs on each end, do you still nead a
filter? Trawl through postings during the last six months on this
subject and there is no definative answer on this one. Do we have an
authorative voice out there that can put this issue to bed, please?

BTW there is one piece of equipment on a line that does not have, or
needs, a filter and that is REDCARE.

David Bradley

Old August 25th 04, 12:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

wrote:

you will need a filter on every phone socket that has something connected to
it.

add "that is a phone or fax or other device using audio frequencies"

you do not need to fit a filter to an ADSL modem

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old August 25th 04, 12:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 21:35:15 +0100, "Tiscali Tim"
wrote:

Yes, in principle - since the ADSL signal must not be filtered. In practice,
you may find you've got the wrong type of plug on the lead! The ADSL modem
or router will be supplied with an RJ11 plug - which won't plug straight
into a phone socket without an adapter. If the lead which you currently use
with your analog modem is in 2 bits, including an RJ11 to BT adapter,
canabalise the adapter, and you'll be ok. Otherwise, you may need another
filter - using the *unfiltered* outlet socket in lieu of an RJ11 to BT
adapter.

Thanks Tim. I've RJ11/BT leads and adaptors - I just didn't want to
buy an ADSL filter I didn't need.

Brian
Old August 25th 04, 12:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

wrote:

[...]

Only if it's a newer modem, the older ones will not work.

The best bet is to use a filter, whatever. Reason being that if someone
rings the line it can cause the DSL to drop, which could be annoying is
nothing else..