Wanadoo UK punts 1Mb ADSL for 18

Old August 24th 04, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
___

Default Wanadoo UK punts 1Mb ADSL for 18

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/24/wanadoo_adsl/

Old August 24th 04, 10:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"___" wrote in message ...
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/24/wanadoo_adsl/

LOL 1gb speed with a 2gb monthly allowance. How cruel :-)

Old August 24th 04, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"chris" wrote in message
Exactly. It seems farsical. Why a user would want such high speed a
connection, and yet only use it for 2-5 gigs a month is beyond me! Why
dont they just go for unmetered 250k and be done with it!?

I do not see how they can get customers with it. Unless they are relying on new
users not understanding bandwidth and then the users having to upgrade to the
higher package.
This puts BT's plans for a cap in a better light, at least with the BT plan you
will be able to buy a GB here and there each month as and when necessary. Seems
with this new wannado package if you go over you have to upgrade.

Old August 24th 04, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"chris" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 21:30:49 +0000 (UTC) and in article cggc29$f19$1
@hercules.btinternet.com, Beck said...
: "chris" wrote in message
: ...
: Exactly. It seems farsical. Why a user would want such high speed a
: connection, and yet only use it for 2-5 gigs a month is beyond me! Why
: dont they just go for unmetered 250k and be done with it!?
:
: I do not see how they can get customers with it.

I do. The vast majority of _home_ broadband users simply do not shift
massive amounts of bandwith each month. Those that do go to more
capable, net-head ISPs (Nildram, Zen, F2S, A&A, Plus.net etc) whereas
the VAST majority of people only know a few names - Freeserve, BT, AOL
or dare I say, Tiscali. These customers simply arent interested in
shifting many gigs a month. BTW's CBC product is actually very good at
getting people switching over to broadband from dialup as many before
simply wouldnt switch because it was too expensive.

Thats very true. I recall when Tiscali started their basic broadband package
(256kb) they managed to convert over 100,000 or so dialup customers. Its future
proofing for Tiscali as most of those customers who do want a bigger service are
more likely to upgrade than go window shopping for another isp.

Old August 24th 04, 11:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 22:23:09 +0100, chris wrote:

Why a user would want such high speed a
connection, and yet only use it for 2-5 gigs a month is beyond me!

well there you go.

Imagine you are a modest user that is used to a fast network at work -
would you not be pleased to get twice the speed at home for the same
monthly fee as you're currently paying ?

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old August 24th 04, 11:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"chris" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 23:07:40 +0100 and in article
, Phil Thompson said...
: On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 22:23:09 +0100, chris wrote:
:
: Why a user would want such high speed a
: connection, and yet only use it for 2-5 gigs a month is beyond me!
:
: well there you go.
:
: Imagine you are a modest user that is used to a fast network at work -
: would you not be pleased to get twice the speed at home for the same
: monthly fee as you're currently paying ?
:
See my comments about CBC.

What is CBC?

Old August 24th 04, 11:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
sarah

Beck wrote:

What is CBC?

Capacity Based Charging - BT's new flat-rate charging policy for IPStream.
Old August 25th 04, 12:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"sarah" wrote in message
Beck wrote:

What is CBC?

Capacity Based Charging - BT's new flat-rate charging policy for IPStream.

Thanks, I feel empowered now :-)

Old August 25th 04, 08:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Horne

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 21:11:52 +0000 (UTC) and in article cggauo$da3$1
: "___" wrote in message ...
: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/24/wanadoo_adsl/
:
:
: LOL 1gb speed with a 2gb monthly allowance. How cruel :-)
:
:
:
Exactly. It seems farsical. Why a user would want such high speed a
connection, and yet only use it for 2-5 gigs a month is beyond me! Why
dont they just go for unmetered 250k and be done with it!?

It's not farcical at all. The reason for wanting a fast connection by
many people is that, well, they want a fast connection. It doesn't
necessarily mean that they want to, or will, download more. I rarely
reach a gig a month in downloads (I have a 1MB service), and I'm not
unusual, I'm sure. I also prefer having 1MB over 512k- it does make a
difference. It's a perfectly good deal IMO. What _is_ the median
download of UK broadband users? It's probably not anywhere as high as
you think.

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old August 25th 04, 09:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 25 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, David Horne wrote:

What _is_ the median download of UK broadband users? It's probably not
anywhere as high as you think.

As a nediun to large ISP, it would be interesting to know how many new
customers on Plus.Net find that having chosen say 3 GB as the limit, it
isn't enough for their usage and they shift up to 4 or more. PN decided
on a number of tiers ending with the 'Premier' (uncapped) at 21.99 so the
figures they had collected from earlier stats must have made a 2 GB quota
the most sensible lower limit (else they could have chosen 1 GB at 14.99)
so under the circumstances, while anyone streaming audio, downloading off
binary newsgroups and perhaps using peer-to-peer will be a 'heavy' user,
there clearly are sufficient numbers of not so heavy users to make it a
worthwhile scheme to offer 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 GB tiers, where others have a
2 or 15 GB split and nothing in between. Just looking at my past usage
can show 200-500 MB most days on one connection but sometimes over 1 GB
(that's on Plus.Net 500 kbps) while I've another connection at 1 Mbps,
and that gets used plenty, too ! Peter M.