512 to 1mb at a competitive price

Old August 25th 04, 01:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derrick Fawsitt

Default 512 to 1mb at a competitive price

I am currently with PlusNet's 512 ADSL for approx. 24 for one year,
this of course included the modem etc., I would now like to upgrade to
1mb service which up to now means a jump of approx. 10. I have recently
been attracted by adds that "seem" to suggest 1mb "from" the price I am
now paying for 512, yet when you open the site up it suddenly is the
same pricing as it always was, (excuse the grammar). Am I imagining
this, if so I will seriously examine my state of mind, but I am almost
certain I got the impression that ADSL has come down, yes, no?
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old August 25th 04, 01:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Derrick Fawsitt" wrote in message
I am currently with PlusNet's 512 ADSL for approx. 24 for one year, this
of course included the modem etc., I would now like to upgrade to 1mb
service which up to now means a jump of approx. 10. I have recently been
attracted by adds that "seem" to suggest 1mb "from" the price I am now
paying for 512, yet when you open the site up it suddenly is the same
pricing as it always was, (excuse the grammar). Am I imagining this, if so
I will seriously examine my state of mind, but I am almost certain I got
the impression that ADSL has come down, yes, no?

Prices have come down but many of the companies who now offer 1MB packages
"from" the price that the used to offer 512K ones - impose monthly bandwidth
restrictions on the amount you can download on the cheapest accounts.

The 512K products at that price are/were uncapped.

Regards
Sunil

Old August 25th 04, 01:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derrick Fawsitt

In message , Sunil Sood
writes

[...]

I know, I have just read about Wanadoo's offer here in the UK shortly
after I posted to this NG. I live in hope we get an unrestricted service
of 1mb from some ISP shortly.
Regards,

--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old August 25th 04, 02:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Derrick Fawsitt" wrote in message
I know, I have just read about Wanadoo's offer here in the UK shortly
after I posted to this NG. I live in hope we get an unrestricted service
of 1mb from some ISP shortly.

There are ISP's which offer unrestricted 1MB services (most of them) - its
just a question of price:

Have a look at:

AOL
Bulldog
http://www.hi-velocity.it/
Metronet
Plusnet

All of which should be under 30 for unrestricted 1MB lines

Also have a look through http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ (i.e. some Bulldog
customers seem to be having problems atm)

Regards
Sunil

Old August 25th 04, 10:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 01:02:25 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband,
"Sunil Sood" wrote:

Metronet
Plusnet

All of which should be under 30 for unrestricted 1MB lines

from a recent post I made, when someone asked about uncapped.
I didn't include AOL, Bulldog or the other in your list.

** 21.50 ~ 2 GB on 1000 kbps MetroNet PayGo1000
** 23.99 2 GB on 1000 kbps PlusNet
** 24.50 ~ 3 GB on 1000 kbps MetroNet PayGo1000
** 26.99 4 GB on 1000 kbps PlusNet

** 28.75 UNLIMITED on 1000 kbps MetroNet
** 28.99 2 GB on 1000 kbps Pipex

** 29.99 UNLIMITED on 1000 kbps PlusNet
** 29.99 30 GB on 1000 kbps BT Yahoo

** 33.99 UNLIMITED on 1000 kbps Pipex
** 34.99 30 GB on 1000 kbps Wanadoo

For someone wanting higher speed, but possibly working away from
home some of the time, or even hammering their connection, MetroNet
seems a very competitive product. Not so good a deal at 500 kbps but
for 1000 or 2000 it is definitely worth looking at. Peter M.

Old August 25th 04, 10:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

"Derrick Fawsitt" wrote in message
I know, I have just read about Wanadoo's offer here in the UK shortly
after I posted to this NG. I live in hope we get an unrestricted service
of 1mb from some ISP shortly.

There are ISP's which offer unrestricted 1MB services (most of them) - its
just a question of price:

Have a look at:

AOL
Bulldog
http://www.hi-velocity.it/
Metronet
Plusnet

All of which should be under 30 for unrestricted 1MB lines

Also have a look through http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ (i.e. some Bulldog
customers seem to be having problems atm)

Sunil, I think we are getting to a phrase of internet where most, if not all
companies will have a cap. Do you think in 5 years there will be any uncapped
services left? Apart from the ones for a higher premium?
Once one company does it and gets away with it, they will all see that capped
service is the best thing (for the companies, not the customer I must add).

Old August 25th 04, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 09:24:18 +0100, poster
wrote:

I didn't include AOL, Bulldog or the other in your list.

Freedom2Surf 14.99/mo inc VAT for 1Mbit/s inc 1 GB/month or 19.99
inc 3 GB then 2.99 per GB and no metering 0100-0600

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !

Old August 25th 04, 11:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 11:33:45 +0100, "Justin Johnson"
wrote:

Freedom2Surf 14.99/mo inc VAT for 1Mbit/s inc 1 GB/month or 19.99
inc 3 GB then 2.99 per GB and no metering 0100-0600

It's 5GB for 19.99

yes, typo - sorry.

Phil
Old August 26th 04, 08:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Beck" wrote in message

Sunil, I think we are getting to a phrase of internet where most, if
not all companies will have a cap. Do you think in 5 years there
will be any uncapped services left? Apart from the ones for a higher
premium?

I think the cheapest tariffs will have caps but now there will alwasy be an
"unmetered" option - something that didn't exist with dialup access for many
years.

Also, unless the caps increase with falls in bandwidth prices reflected in
their tariffs - ISP's may suffer as over time, customers average bandwidth
usage is likely to increase

Regards
Sunil