Info please: Cheapest uncapped broadband in the UK?

Old August 25th 04, 05:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ricky

Default Info please: Cheapest uncapped broadband in the UK?

Hi there,

I just spotted the new "silver" option on AOL:

- Always on connection
- Unlimited downloads (no cap)
- But only 256kbps connection speed.
- All for 19.99 per month (inc free modem)

Does anyone else offer a similar but cheaper service in the UK? (via
BT phone line, not cable etc.)

I've been put off getting broadband until now by either high prices or
low download limits. Connection speed isn't really an issue for me,
I'd even be happy with an always on, uncapped 128kbps sevice - if I
want to download a big file I'm quite happy to leave the thing running
for a few hours rather than pay huge prices for a faster connection.

Cheers for the info.

Don't bother replying to the e-mail address, its a spamtrap.

Ricky.
Old August 25th 04, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoSpam

"Ricky" wrote in message
m...
Hi there,

I just spotted the new "silver" option on AOL:

- Always on connection
- Unlimited downloads (no cap)
- But only 256kbps connection speed.
- All for 19.99 per month (inc free modem)

Does anyone else offer a similar but cheaper service in the UK? (via
BT phone line, not cable etc.)

I've been put off getting broadband until now by either high prices or
low download limits. Connection speed isn't really an issue for me,
I'd even be happy with an always on, uncapped 128kbps sevice - if I
want to download a big file I'm quite happy to leave the thing running
for a few hours rather than pay huge prices for a faster connection.

Cheers for the info.

Don't bother replying to the e-mail address, its a spamtrap.

Ricky.

Personally, I think that for unlimitted access, recently the best value
packages are on NTL.

http://www.home.ntl.com/icat/broadband

This is the second time where they have bumped up the bandwidth on each of
their packages.

150K went to 256K which is now 300K for £17.99 / month. For casual surfing,
anything above 250K is comparable. If you went to most websites on a
bandwidth above this figure, you'd be hard pushed to tell what speed
connection you are on. Only downloads or movie-based websites or heavy
bandwidth gaming websites will you notice any difference.

The 512K to 600K to 750K package at £24.99 is also good.

For an extra £2 / month they'll even through in a free X-Box and cr*p game
so long as you are a new customer and are willing to be bound to them for 1
year (otherwise you have to pay back £150).
Only take this option if either you know that you are going to stay on the
750K package for 3 years or more, or if you have access to a BT line so that
you have the option to drop this package after one year and go on to a BT
line as if you take up this option you cannot change the package for 3
years. Also, you won't be able to take advantage of other offers like 1st
month free or free installation. So work out the cost yourself as to
whether its worth it or not.

Also bear in mind that with so many broadband operators sitting on BT lines
they're likely to be the most competitive in the long run. Cable used to be
very competitive especially if you tied yourself into an internet/phone/sky
bundle. However, this is not so true today. Your phone line most of the
time you are better off on BT. Sky bundles are usually cheaper with a dish.

AMO

Old August 25th 04, 08:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Ricky" wrote in message
I just spotted the new "silver" option on AOL:

- Always on connection
- Unlimited downloads (no cap)
- But only 256kbps connection speed.
- All for 19.99 per month (inc free modem)

Does anyone else offer a similar but cheaper service in the UK? (via
BT phone line, not cable etc.)

Yes - http://www.dialstart.net/adsl/default.asp

£17.99 for 512K download.. (inc free modem)

Have never used them but they are a "BrightView" ISP - BrightView runs quite
a few brands (list at http://www.brightview.com/our_isps/index.html)

Regards
Sunil

Old August 26th 04, 09:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
"Ricky" wrote in message
I just spotted the new "silver" option on AOL:

- Always on connection
- Unlimited downloads (no cap)
- But only 256kbps connection speed.
- All for 19.99 per month (inc free modem)

Does anyone else offer a similar but cheaper service in the UK? (via
BT phone line, not cable etc.)

Yes - http://www.dialstart.net/adsl/default.asp

£17.99 for 512K download.. (inc free modem)

That seems quite the bargain. Anyone used them? I was going to go for
Pipex but this is a fiver cheaper per month. Do you get what you pay for?

Old August 26th 04, 09:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Grant" wrote in message
"Ricky" wrote in message
Hi there,

I just spotted the new "silver" option on AOL:

- Always on connection
- Unlimited downloads (no cap)
- But only 256kbps connection speed.
- All for 19.99 per month (inc free modem)

Does anyone else offer a similar but cheaper service in the UK? (via
BT phone line, not cable etc.)

http://www.solo.pipex.net/xtreme-solutions/

17.99/month for 250k
15.99/month for 150k

23.44/month for 512k

Both inc. free modem and setup.

HTH.

Old August 26th 04, 12:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ricky

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message ...
"Ricky" wrote in message
I just spotted the new "silver" option on AOL:

- Always on connection
- Unlimited downloads (no cap)
- But only 256kbps connection speed.
- All for 19.99 per month (inc free modem)

Does anyone else offer a similar but cheaper service in the UK? (via
BT phone line, not cable etc.)

Yes - http://www.dialstart.net/adsl/default.asp

£17.99 for 512K download.. (inc free modem)

Thanks for the replies folks.

This one sounds the best deal, but is it sustainable? Uncapped 512k
for 18 quid a month?

Anybody got any thoughts on that?

Cheers,

Ric.
Old August 26th 04, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 08:47:09 +0100, "Dave"
wrote:

Yes - http://www.dialstart.net/adsl/default.asp

£17.99 for 512K download.. (inc free modem)

That seems quite the bargain. Anyone used them? I was going to go for
Pipex but this is a fiver cheaper per month. Do you get what you pay for?

My partner's Dad uses Dialstart, in the 3 or 4 years he's used them
I've never once been asked to "take a look" at it for him. Bear in
mind he's not the most hardcore 'net user - quite the contrary in
fact, but a good testimonial nonetheless.
Old August 26th 04, 09:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

NoSpam wrote:
"Ricky" wrote in message
[...]

Look at their TOC as they stipulate a 1gig per day cap, hence are not what
the OP was after. Also if you don't live in the right area then tough you
can't have it anyway