Why would my connection (by router) be getting slower & slower?

Old August 25th 04, 10:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr Lawes

Default Why would my connection (by router) be getting slower & slower?

I used to connect to my ISP with a USB ADSL modem. About four months
ago, I upgraded to a 3com router so I could use another PC on the same
connection etc..

This has worked fine for months, but over the last week or so the
connection has got painfully slow. I disabled the wireless facility
but that made no difference.

I reset the router to its factory settings, and now I can't access the
router at all from the browser. (The ethernet port is part of the
motherboard, not a PCI card) No changes were made prior to the router
reset.

If anyone knows why the connection speed would plummet like that I'd
be interested to know, and also why I now can't access the router.

(I'm now back to using the USB modem, at proper broadband speeds.)

Thanks!
Old August 25th 04, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Domestos

My First thought is that a few local people (on the same contention ratio)
are using thier connections the same time as you, and are being badwitdth
hogs (downloading DVD's etc...)

Maybe a local company has moved in and they are hoggingthe badwidth...
Is it the same all day long? Any time better than others?

Other problems might include some software running on you machine make sure
nothing is running (CTRL_ALT_DEL and look for application that are currently
running... get hold of ad-aware 6 and make sure you dont have any data
miners, cookie, or other suspicious software working overtime on your
connection...

Thats my two p worth
Domestos

Old August 26th 04, 12:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Omney

Mr Lawes wrote:

I used to connect to my ISP with a USB ADSL modem. About four months
ago, I upgraded to a 3com router so I could use another PC on the same
connection etc..

Can you tell us what model of 3com router?

I reset the router to its factory settings, and now I can't access the
router at all from the browser. (The ethernet port is part of the
motherboard, not a PCI card) No changes were made prior to the router
reset.

Suspect that the default ip address of the router is now different to
the ip address you are pointing your browser at.
Check for basic connectivity first by doing an winipcfg/ipconfig
depending on OS, check you have a default gateway address. Ping that
address if Ok, point your browser to the address you have ping'ed and
hopefully you should see a web page from your router

If anyone knows why the connection speed would plummet like that I'd
be interested to know, and also why I now can't access the router.

(I'm now back to using the USB modem, at proper broadband speeds.)

Could be various things, need to know more about your setup and router
config