Fax Program

Old August 26th 04, 09:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
IslanderUK

Default Fax Program

Does anyone know of a Fax programme that can be used in conjunction
with BT Broadband.

I used to have Home Highway and could use Speedway fax but it does not
appear to work with Broadband.

Thanks in advance
Old August 26th 04, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

IslanderUK wrote:

Does anyone know of a Fax programme that can be used in conjunction
with BT Broadband.

I used to have Home Highway and could use Speedway fax but it does not
appear to work with Broadband.

Thanks in advance

Is this for *sending* or *receiving* faxes - because you will probably need
two different solutions?
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old August 26th 04, 10:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Comley

Not sure what you mean by "in conjunction with"

To send and receive faxes the first thing you need is a phoen line
with a modem connected to it. You can use the same phone line as your
ADSL link runs on but you'll need a fax modem.

Most fax modems come with some fax software,

Reading between the lines, if this is the FAQ about using the ADSL
modem as a fax modem, forget it, radically different technology.

IslanderUK wrote:

Does anyone know of a Fax programme that can be used in conjunction
with BT Broadband.

I used to have Home Highway and could use Speedway fax but it does not
appear to work with Broadband.

Thanks in advance

---
Business ADSL solutions
www.wizards.co.uk
Old August 26th 04, 10:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom

Have you tried www.j2.com

Old August 26th 04, 02:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Chris Comley wrote:

Not sure what you mean by "in conjunction with"

To send and receive faxes the first thing you need is a phoen line
with a modem connected to it. You can use the same phone line as your
ADSL link runs on but you'll need a fax modem.

Most fax modems come with some fax software,

Reading between the lines, if this is the FAQ about using the ADSL
modem as a fax modem, forget it, radically different technology.

Whilst it is true that you can't send and receive faxes *directly* with an
ADSL modem, you *can* send and receive faxes via ADSL by using email-to-fax
and fax-to-email services. I imagine that's what the OP was getting at.

For example, PlusNet issue their customers (on request) with an 0870 number
for fax use. Any faxes sent to that number are converted to emails, which
are sent to a nominated email address - with the fax itself appearing as an
attachment in .TIF format.

Similarly, by sending a suitably structured email to services such as
you can cause a fax to be sent to any
recipient whose fax number is contained in the {fax#} part of the above
email address.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old August 26th 04, 02:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 26 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Tiscali Tim" wrote:

Whilst it is true that you can't send and receive faxes *directly* with an
ADSL modem, you *can* send and receive faxes via ADSL by using email-to-fax
and fax-to-email services. I imagine that's what the OP was getting at.

and there was me thinking the Speedway might be an ISDN Terminal Adaptor, so
it may be able to make a fax call on ISDN for the PC user, who transmits the
fax into the serial port from suitable software... take away the ISDN links
(if you replace Highway with a standard line for ADSL) and it falls apart as
a means of sending faxes. BICBW :-) Peter M.
Old August 26th 04, 04:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
GMH

"IslanderUK" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a Fax programme that can be used in conjunction
with BT Broadband.

I currently have a Sportster Modem on my phone line with my DSL router and
modem, it uses Fax Tools from www.bvrp.com which works fine for both
incoming and outgoing faxes.

GMH

Old August 26th 04, 05:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
IslanderUK

Thanks for the responses

I just want to be able to send faxes.

I have a single phone line coming into the house which is connected to
both my computer (Broadband) and my phone.

The speedway fax program ran through the Speedway modem and used the
ISDN Home Highway line to send the faxes.

Now my ISDN line has gone I cannot use the Speedway program.

I currently have a program running that allows me to dial people from
my computer who I can then talk to by picking the phone up (Smart
Address). I wondered if there was a similar program available that
would allow me to send faxes in the same way

Sorry if the above is confusing but I am no techie and am confused
myself.

Old August 26th 04, 08:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

IslanderUK wrote:

Thanks for the responses

I just want to be able to send faxes.

I have a single phone line coming into the house which is connected to
both my computer (Broadband) and my phone.

The speedway fax program ran through the Speedway modem and used the
ISDN Home Highway line to send the faxes.

Now my ISDN line has gone I cannot use the Speedway program.

I currently have a program running that allows me to dial people from
my computer who I can then talk to by picking the phone up (Smart
Address). I wondered if there was a similar program available that
would allow me to send faxes in the same way

Sorry if the above is confusing but I am no techie and am confused
myself.

If you are using your computer to dial voice calls, you must have an
ordinary analog modem installed in it. I would be very surprised if this
isn't a fax/modem which can also send faxes. There is probably a fax
facility within your email client - which can make use of this modem.

What program do you use for sending emails? If it is Outlook or Outlook
Express, bring up the Help pages and look for Fax. This will tell you how to
set up the fax option.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old August 26th 04, 09:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Raven

Tiscali Tim wrote:

If you are using your computer to dial voice calls, you must have an
ordinary analog modem installed in it.

Could be using VOIP in which case a modem isn't needed.

Tony