The good old days.

Old August 26th 04, 07:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reg Edwards

Default The good old days.

How long will it be before we return to the days of the good old GPO
Telephones, when engineers understood what they were doing, quite capable of
coping with emergencies, and staff were not wasted on automated complaints
departments, support newsgroups, help lines, and spam.

We are at present in the hands of dishonest directors and presidents of
un-regulated, unscrupulous International Corporations who are themselves, by
definition, always at casualty-causing war with each other.

All we want is a reliable non-competitive communications service, like gas,
electricity and water supplies. And a simple understandable bill.

Impeach Blair, Bush and Sir Mark Thatcher, and signal-to-noise ratios and
error rates, given time, will then eventually happily look after themselves.
----
Reg, a retired communications engineer.

Old August 26th 04, 08:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Graham wrote:
"Reg Edwards" wrote in message
How long will it be before we return to the days of the good old
GPO Telephones, when engineers understood what they were doing,
quite capable of coping with emergencies, and staff were not
wasted on automated complaints departments, support newsgroups,
help lines, and spam.

We are at present in the hands of dishonest directors and
presidents of un-regulated, unscrupulous International
Corporations who are themselves, by definition, always at
casualty-causing war with each other.

All we want is a reliable non-competitive communications service,
like gas, electricity and water supplies. And a simple
understandable bill.

Impeach Blair, Bush and Sir Mark Thatcher, and signal-to-noise
ratios and error rates, given time, will then eventually happily
look after themselves. ----
Reg, a retired communications engineer.

Good old days?

My grandmother had her phone in the hall, she actually wanted it in
the lounge but apparently the PO engineer told her that it was "too
far from where the wires came in to the house" and also "it was
usual to have it in the hall"

Needless to say it was on a Party Line

P.s. does anyone make an ADSL router with a 404 plug ?

You forgot the 6 to 9 months wait before they installed it as well...

Old August 26th 04, 09:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
marky

Reg it would be nice to live in the past, but unfortunately it isn't
possible,I am a multiskilled engineer for bt, most of my time is taken up on
installing and repairing ADSL lines, I spent 2 years at nightschool getting
my ccna, partly funded by bt.and other engineers have a real interest in
pc's broadband etc....we try our hardest to provide a good service, just
remember the comments seen on this newsgroup are from people for who the
"experience" hasn't been very good, but this is a small percentage of the
many thousands of customers that have had a positive experience of broadband
and the new technology Bt have released over the past few years, I for one
wouldn't want to go back to the days of mechanical exchanges and 746 dial
phones that had to be hard wired.
As for emergencies, we are still on 24 hour call, so I don't really
understand this?

Mark.

Old August 26th 04, 09:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
:::Jerry::::

"Kráftéé" wrote in message
Graham wrote:
"Reg Edwards" wrote in message
How long will it be before we return to the days of the good old
GPO Telephones,

snip
Good old days?

My grandmother had her phone in the hall, she actually wanted it in
the lounge but apparently the PO engineer told her that it was "too
far from where the wires came in to the house" and also "it was
usual to have it in the hall"

Needless to say it was on a Party Line

P.s. does anyone make an ADSL router with a 404 plug ?

You forgot the 6 to 9 months wait before they installed it as well...

Or the abundance of public 'call boxes' on every other road.

Perhaps not everything was good about the 'Good Old Days', but it was as a
service and not just a means of paying directors expencive bonuses...

Old August 26th 04, 09:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
will kemp

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 20:34:01 +0100, Graham wrote:

Good old days?

My grandmother had her phone in the hall, she actually wanted it in the
lounge but apparently the PO engineer told her that it was "too far from
where the wires came in to the house" and also "it was usual to have it in
the hall"

Needless to say it was on a Party Line

P.s. does anyone make an ADSL router with a 404 plug ?

*plug*??? that's a bit modern isn't it???

Old August 26th 04, 10:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
:::Jerry::::

wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 19:58:40 +0100, "Kráftéé"
wrote:
You forgot the 6 to 9 months wait before they installed it as well...

You must be getting rather long in the tooth then it was 1961 before
we ever had a phone in the house and it only took about three weeks
then .

Yeh, but you had an exchange in the neighbourhood already !... :~)

Old August 26th 04, 10:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reg Edwards

"marky" wrote in message
[...]

===================================

Hi Marky, very pleased to be in communication with one of my successors.

I reallise we cannot get back to pole-climbing and carrier system crosstalk
re-balancing days. Nobody wants to. Those days went when the transistor,
electronic exchanges and Shannon's mathematics took over. And the daily work
of engineering staff must be just as conscientious as it ever was. I was for
some years available at zero hours notice liable to be called to foreign
countries even when family members were due for hospital operations. All
for no extra pay. Nevertheless I enjoyed it.

I retired at about the right time (I am now 78). But what has changed since
then is the attitude of senior management which is politically dependent. It
is more serious than just placing shareholders interests above those of the
customer. Because these days the customers are also shareholders. It affects
lifestyles - even personal safely. We are ruled by International
corporations rather than by so-called democratic governments.

The relatively few people who complain about service quality on walls such
as these are just the tip of the iceburg.

But keep up the good work. My pension depends on it. ;o)
----
Reg.

Old August 27th 04, 12:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 20:34:01 +0100, "Graham" strung
together this:

P.s. does anyone make an ADSL router with a 404 plug ?

I thought all ADSL routers came with sockets.
Anyway if you want to plug a router into a 404 socket, make a patch
lead. I think I've got a brand new 404 plug with lead round here
somewhere, I could make you one.
I'm surprised clarity, adslnation or even bt don't supply them.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old August 27th 04, 12:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
'Tmax

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message
How long will it be before we return to the days of the good old GPO
Telephones,

Trimphone, anyone?......