Tiscali broadband - unbelievable service cuts

Old August 26th 04, 08:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TJ Sackville-West

Default Tiscali broadband - unbelievable service cuts

Tiscali started bad and the service has just gone downhill from there.

Hopeless distruptions to what we were told a few years ago when ADSL
was being hyped as an 'always on' service nobody could live without.
Notice that the words 'always on' NEVER appear anymore in any printed
matter. Broadband in the UK on BT lines is almost NEVER always on. The
NTL netwrk seems no better. Only true cable networks may deliver the
goods. But for most getting ADSL with any ISP will be over a BT line.

It's not unusual for me to lose the Tiscali signal 3-4 times an hour.
Then it runs fine for hours. Comparison tables on the ADSL guide are
without appeal. Slow speeds and bad customer service. My money moves
when the contract is up.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/compare.asp

If you can recommend an ISP please do so.

TJ
Old August 26th 04, 09:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

TJ Sackville-West wrote:
Tiscali started bad and the service has just gone downhill from
there.

Hopeless distruptions to what we were told a few years ago when ADSL
was being hyped as an 'always on' service nobody could live without.
Notice that the words 'always on' NEVER appear anymore in any
printed matter. Broadband in the UK on BT lines is almost NEVER
always on. The NTL netwrk seems no better. Only true cable networks
may deliver the goods. But for most getting ADSL with any ISP will
be over a BT line.

Funny that my ADSL circuit has been up for over 48 hours now, ever since I
configured it, which is far better than the NTL service I'm leaving, where
although it always remain connected the thru put just died intermitently.
No such problems with my ADSL (so far)....

Old August 26th 04, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Malcolm Loades

In message , TJ
Sackville-West writes
Broadband in the UK on BT lines is almost NEVER always on.

Fascinating, I didn't know that.

The 6 or so ISP's I use/have used for home and business use don't seem
to know that either. The only outage I can recall is one of them for a
couple of hours, and that is one in a two year period. The ADSL
connection I'm using at this minute has been up for 553 hours and 37
minutes! It would have been longer had I not migrated to f2s 553 hours
and 37 minutes ago :-)
--
Malcolm
Old August 26th 04, 09:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Naismith

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 20:01:25 +0100, "Kráftéé"
wrote:

Funny that my ADSL circuit has been up for over 48 hours now, ever since I
configured it, which is far better than the NTL service I'm leaving, where
although it always remain connected the thru put just died intermitently.
No such problems with my ADSL (so far)....

Mine's been up for 1502 hours now which is almost 9 weeks. I _think_
my "record" is around 2200 hours.

Then again I'm not dumb enough to be with Tiscali ;-)
--
John Naismith
Old August 26th 04, 09:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mutley

"TJ Sackville-West" wrote in message
om...
Tiscali started bad and the service has just gone downhill from there.

SNIP

I was with Tiscali in December, I was very bad... I had no connection for
two weeks, when it finally got back on it was slower then a modem! So I
stopped the Direct Debit with them, a few months later they stopped the
"Service" and released my line...

Anyway, I never tell anyone to make the mistake of telling anyone to use
these cowboys!

Mutley

Old August 26th 04, 10:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bert Kruiswijk

I am with Tiscali for quite some years. I have hardly any problems.
Telephone customer service is very bad, but online customer services is
alright.

Bert.

Old August 26th 04, 11:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Comley

Well, the loss of signal is almost certainly between you and the
exchange equipment, which indicates a problem with the line itself or
BT's system. So

1) Changing ISP won't necessarily fix it.

But

2) Changing to an ISP who you can get sensible responses from on the
phone and thus work through the problem and get BT to fix it would be
a bit plus!

For which, I recommend - us! :-) Give us a call - 01494 837515

(TJ Sackville-West) wrote:

Tiscali started bad and the service has just gone downhill from there.

Hopeless distruptions to what we were told a few years ago when ADSL
was being hyped as an 'always on' service nobody could live without.
Notice that the words 'always on' NEVER appear anymore in any printed
matter. Broadband in the UK on BT lines is almost NEVER always on. The
NTL netwrk seems no better. Only true cable networks may deliver the
goods. But for most getting ADSL with any ISP will be over a BT line.

It's not unusual for me to lose the Tiscali signal 3-4 times an hour.
Then it runs fine for hours. Comparison tables on the ADSL guide are
without appeal. Slow speeds and bad customer service. My money moves
when the contract is up.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/compare.asp

If you can recommend an ISP please do so.

TJ

---
Business ADSL solutions
www.wizards.co.uk
Old August 26th 04, 11:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Chris Comley" wrote in message

Well, the loss of signal is almost certainly between you and the
exchange equipment, which indicates a problem with the line itself or
BT's system. So

1) Changing ISP won't necessarily fix it.

It could well - especially if Tiscali have provisioned a 2MB DataStream line
which they have throttled down..

Regards
Sunil

Old August 27th 04, 02:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

(TJ Sackville-West) wrote:

[...]

The Top-posting ISP !

Old August 27th 04, 09:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
:::Jerry::::

"Bert Kruiswijk" wrote in message
snip
I am with Tiscali for quite some years. I have hardly any problems.
Telephone customer service is very bad, but online customer services is
alright.

Didn't know Tiscali was in Australia too.....

It always makes me laugh when people say that the online help is OK, WTF
does that mean for gawd sake, most people who need help are having problems
getting on line !