Internet explorer help PLEASE!!!!!!

Old August 26th 04, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

Default Internet explorer help PLEASE!!!!!!

Having a problem and I know this NG is full of knowlegable folks

I have BT Broadband(I know but I had to fight to get them to enable the
line)

If i leave the PC for about 10 mins or so when I come back every hyperlink
I click comes up page not found despite the modem still being connected

Does anyone have any ideas why or have any solutions

Thanks

Scott

Old August 26th 04, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Social Outcast

"Scott" scott251170 @hotmail.com wrote in message
Having a problem and I know this NG is full of knowlegable folks

I have BT Broadband(I know but I had to fight to get them to enable the
line)

If i leave the PC for about 10 mins or so when I come back every

hyperlink
I click comes up page not found despite the modem still being connected

Does anyone have any ideas why or have any solutions

Thanks

Scott

Hmm, the words "BT" and "Broadband" in conjunction with each other in the
same sentence should be enough of a clue to get you started.

Old August 26th 04, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

Scott wrote:
|| I suspect BT are to blame but they are trying to pass the buck and
|| say it is an IE issue
||| Hmm, the words "BT" and "Broadband" in conjunction with each other
||| in the same sentence should be enough of a clue to get you started.

Try a different browser to see if IE is to blame.

Ian

Old August 26th 04, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
paul smith

"Scott" scott251170 @hotmail.com wrote in message
Having a problem and I know this NG is full of knowlegable folks

I have BT Broadband(I know but I had to fight to get them to enable the
line)

If i leave the PC for about 10 mins or so when I come back every

hyperlink
I click comes up page not found despite the modem still being connected

Does anyone have any ideas why or have any solutions

WEll what was your solution?
Or have you stopped surfing completely?

Thanks

Scott

Old August 26th 04, 10:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stormsinger

"paul smith" wrote:

"Scott" scott251170 @hotmail.com wrote in message
Having a problem and I know this NG is full of knowlegable folks

I have BT Broadband(I know but I had to fight to get them to enable the
line)

If i leave the PC for about 10 mins or so when I come back every

hyperlink
I click comes up page not found despite the modem still being connected

Does anyone have any ideas why or have any solutions

WEll what was your solution?
Or have you stopped surfing completely?

Strange reply. Or did you think that 30 mins was enough time for him to get back?

--
Email addy is a spam trap - Spam will go to a spammer
Please post in the group to reply.
Old August 26th 04, 10:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Scott scott251170 @hotmail.com wrote:

Having a problem and I know this NG is full of knowlegable folks

I have BT Broadband(I know but I had to fight to get them to enable
the line)

If i leave the PC for about 10 mins or so when I come back every
hyperlink I click comes up page not found despite the modem still
being connected

Does anyone have any ideas why or have any solutions

Thanks

Scott

Tell us what you have to do to get it going again. That might throw up some
clues as to what is happening.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old August 27th 04, 12:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

If i leave the PC for about 10 mins or so when I come back every hyperlink
I click comes up page not found despite the modem still being connected
Does anyone have any ideas why or have any solutions

Does anything else work, ie. email - after - the browser stops working ?

It might be a USB port issue, where it looks sync`d but the port has
powered itself down.

If nothing else works, but a reboot resolves the issue, the odds are its
USB related I bet :-}

Old August 27th 04, 11:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Comley

"Scott" scott251170 @hotmail.com wrote:

I suspect BT are to blame but they are trying to pass the buck and say it is
an IE issue

Scott, to test this theory, pop open a command window (Start/Run,
"CMD") then at the C: prompt try, for example

ping www.wizards.co.uk

and

ping 217.146.99.22

If the second one works but the first one doesn't then you are having
a DNS lookup problem, which is one of the most common causes of IE (or
other browser) failing to find the web page you've asked for.

A further test you can run is to use a different browser. Mozilla
Firefox is much nicer than Internet Exploder anyway, though you need
to keep IE around for the few sites that don't work properly in
Firefox.

www.mozilla.org

Then you might consider switching ISPs to one who can help with this
sort of a problem! :-)

---
Business ADSL solutions
www.wizards.co.uk
Old August 27th 04, 11:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Raven

Chris Comley wrote:

A further test you can run is to use a different browser. Mozilla
Firefox is much nicer than Internet Exploder anyway, though you need
to keep IE around for the few sites that don't work properly in
Firefox.

Most of those will work perfectly well if you add the User Agent
Switcher extension to Firefox which makes Firefox appear to be IE. Most
of the problems are because the web page writer has blocked anything
that doesn't look like its IE.

Tony