ethernet info required.

Old August 27th 04, 09:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ted_radioham

Default ethernet info required.

I use my pc with broadband via USB, I have a ethernet card that I use for a
Lan to a second pc, therefore using the ethernet card connection. If I
wanted to use the main pc to run the internet on ethernet would I be able to
use a second ethernet card ?.

Old August 27th 04, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 08:31:38 GMT, "ted_radioham"
wrote:

I use my pc with broadband via USB, I have a ethernet card that I use for a
Lan to a second pc, therefore using the ethernet card connection. If I
wanted to use the main pc to run the internet on ethernet would I be able to
use a second ethernet card ?.

To answer your question specifically, probably. It really depend on
your operating systems and the physical connection between your two
computers. Insufficient information has been given to answer the
question, however, as indicated in another posting the prefered method
would be to use a networking kit that comprsises of:

1) An ADSL modem/router that has at least two ports;
2) Network cards in each PC with a CAT5e cable from each to the ADSL
modem/router;
3) A service provider [ISP] login information which when entered into
ADSL modem/router will authenticate with the ISP. I have not found a
situation where this is not possible, but there is always the
exception out there.
4) And naturally a live ADSL service from your selected ISP at a fixed
socket adjacent to your ADSL modem/router.

Should your operating system be Xp, then there is the possibility of
using a software solution called ICS that would make use of your USB
ADSL modem but instead of the ADSL modem/router, you will require a
small hub. The downside to that arrangement is that, in the two PC
arrangement you describe, each must be on for an Internet service to
be viewed on the 'slave' PC.

David Bradley

Old August 27th 04, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"ted_radioham" wrote in message
I use my pc with broadband via USB, I have a ethernet card that I use for a
Lan to a second pc, therefore using the ethernet card connection. If I
wanted to use the main pc to run the internet on ethernet would I be able to
use a second ethernet card ?.

You should be able to use two ethernet cards no problem, just check you have a
spare PCI slot to install it into before buying.

Old August 27th 04, 12:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"David Bradley" wrote in message

Should your operating system be Xp, then there is the possibility of
using a software solution called ICS that would make use of your USB
ADSL modem but instead of the ADSL modem/router, you will require a
small hub. The downside to that arrangement is that, in the two PC
arrangement you describe, each must be on for an Internet service to
be viewed on the 'slave' PC.

Going down the cheaper route, not even a hub is required for only two pc's (one
host, one client). Just a simple crossover cable would suffice with ICS.

Old August 27th 04, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"Beck" wrote in message

"ted_radioham" wrote in

message
I use my pc with broadband via USB, I have a ethernet

card that I use for a
Lan to a second pc, therefore using the ethernet card

connection. If I
wanted to use the main pc to run the internet on

ethernet would I be able to
use a second ethernet card ?.

You should be able to use two ethernet cards no problem,

just check you have a
spare PCI slot to install it into before buying.

If he wishes to use another network card for his internet
connection, he'll also need a different modem, unless his
current one has an ethernet port as well as USB. Better to
buy a router instead, probably work out cheaper ;-)

P.