Newsgroups offered by ISPs

Old August 27th 04, 03:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Adams

Default Newsgroups offered by ISPs

One of the criteria often discussed when comparing the offerings of
various ISPs (broadband or otherwise) is the number of newsgroups to
which access is available. I'm currently on AOL dial-up, and although
there are newsgroups I can't access through the AOL interface I've
never had a problem (other than the delays!) accessing any newsgroup
if I minimise AOL, launch IE and go via Google Groups.

In other words, what I suppose I'm asking is: when people talk about
newsgroup access are they talking about easy, real-time newsgroup
access through the ISP's own newsreader, or newsgroup access full
stop? Could it be that if I go with PlusNet I won't be able to access
alt.binaries.pictures.hatstands by any means at all over my
connection?

Thanks,

Steve Adams
Old August 27th 04, 03:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mutley

"Steve Adams" wrote in message
om...
One of the criteria often discussed when comparing the offerings of
various ISPs (broadband or otherwise) is the number of newsgroups to
which access is available. I'm currently on AOL dial-up, and although
there are newsgroups I can't access through the AOL interface I've
never had a problem (other than the delays!) accessing any newsgroup
if I minimise AOL, launch IE and go via Google Groups.

In other words, what I suppose I'm asking is: when people talk about
newsgroup access are they talking about easy, real-time newsgroup
access through the ISP's own newsreader, or newsgroup access full
stop? Could it be that if I go with PlusNet I won't be able to access
alt.binaries.pictures.hatstands by any means at all over my
connection?

Thanks,

Steve Adams

I use http://www.individual.net/ which alowes you access to all news groups
no-matter what ISP you use...
http://www.individual.net/register.html

Old August 27th 04, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jazzy jeff

Unlikely that ISPs will block access to newsgroups.
However, you'll need a news server to connect to.
The individual.net one is free and very good for most things.
It does not carry binaries newsgroups though, for those you'll need to pay
for access to a news server like claranews or some other.
You'll need a news reader, Ooutlook express or Free Agent will do fine.

HTH