My broadband connection works OK but......

Old August 27th 04, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

Default My broadband connection works OK but......

Just moved to Broadband - using a Netgear DB834 on a fairly new PC
with built-in Ethernet (Realtek RTL8169/8110 Ethernet NIC) running Win
XP SP1.

The modem goes into the setup on http\\192.168.0.1 OK but will not
connect to the internet. Going through the M/Soft Newtork Wizard
wouldn't create a connection either because it only offers PPPoE.
PPPoA is not available. The Netgear setup is set to PPPoA

I could not log into my B/B account until after a lot of fiddling I
connected through a network bridge (not sure how I did it but it
works!). I know nothing about networking so don't know if going
through n/work bridge is normal.

The Network Connections page shows..

Broadband Status
Disconnected, Device Name WAN Miniport(PPPoE)

Network Bridge Status
Local Area Connection Enabled & bridged - Device Name Realtek
RTL Ethernet NIC
Network Bridge Enabled - Device Name MAC Bridge Miniport
1394 Connection Disabled & bridged - Device 1394 Net Adapter

The system seems OK (474.3 kbps without tweaking) but does anybody
know why the "Normal" Broadband settings won't work?

TIA, Phil

Old August 27th 04, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Comley

Phil wrote:

Just moved to Broadband - using a Netgear DB834 on a fairly new PC
with built-in Ethernet (Realtek RTL8169/8110 Ethernet NIC) running Win
XP SP1.

You've run smack into a Microsoft stupidity.

If you have a *router* which you connect to via an ethernet cable,
then you should ignore all the references to "broadband" in the
Windows config.

Rather, you should just set your ethernet card to obtain it's IP
configuration from "a server". The Netgear router will act as that
server, hand out an IP addres, and the PC will pick it up. Once this
has happened you acn connect to the router and tell *IT* how to
connect to the ADSL service.

The router should be using PPPoA, VC-based, 0, 38 as it's config
parameters, and otehr than that all it needs is your ISP username and
password.

Good luck!

---
Business ADSL solutions
www.wizards.co.uk
Old August 28th 04, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stone Free

Chris Comley wrote in
:
Rather, you should just set your ethernet card to obtain it's IP
configuration from "a server". The Netgear router will act as that
server, hand out an IP addres, and the PC will pick it up. Once this
has happened you acn connect to the router and tell *IT* how to
connect to the ADSL service.

The router should be using PPPoA, VC-based, 0, 38 as it's config
parameters, and otehr than that all it needs is your ISP username and
password.

Good luck!

I have also been having trouble with this router, it is version 1.03.00
firmware. I wanted to set it up so that when I was at work there was no
chance of anything accessing the internet. To do this I added the rule
"BLOCK by schedule, otherwise Allow". I then went to Schedule and
ticked only Monday to Friday, and unclicked "All Day" and entered 00:00
to 16:30.

I assume this would mean that if any attempt was made to connect between
midnight and 4:30pm during the week would fail to access the internet.

Yesterday I could not access the internet even though it was 5pm on
Friday and I had to disable the rule to access the internet.

What am I doing wrong?

Old August 28th 04, 03:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stone Free

Old August 28th 04, 03:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On 28 Aug 2004 13:25:56 GMT, Stone Free
spam_KillKillKillstone_freeNoSpamPleaseWereBritis
wrote:

Chris Comley wrote in
:
[...]

Change 00:00 to 00:01 and then make sure that you do not have a GMT /
BST conflict.

David Bradley

Old August 28th 04, 04:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stone Free

David Bradley wrote in
:
I assume this would mean that if any attempt was made to connect between
midnight and 4:30pm during the week would fail to access the internet.

Yesterday I could not access the internet even though it was 5pm on
Friday and I had to disable the rule to access the internet.

What am I doing wrong?

Change 00:00 to 00:01 and then make sure that you do not have a GMT /
BST conflict.

David Bradley

Hi, I have just tried that and it still blocks access, and it isn't even
Monday-Friday, I do have "Adjust for Daylight Savings Time" ticked
Old August 30th 04, 04:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 29 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Simon Dobbs wrote:

SNIP

please learn how to use the apostrophe correctly with 'its'

please consider trimming the amount you do quote, and there's rarely a
need to quote someone's signature unless you need it to comment on, too.