BTBroadband SMTP access?

Old August 27th 04, 07:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

Default BTBroadband SMTP access?

I'm having problems obtaining a free SMTP account for the over priced BT
Broadband service which comes without a free SMTP email account.

For the past 9 months or so I've been using a BT Openworld email address and
connecting occasionally via WAP mobile dial-up just to keep the account
alive (it otherwise expires after 90 days of non dial-up charged use).

In the past few weeks WAP dial-up doesn't seem to be working - I've tried
using a couple of different phones and despite the fact that my settings
haven't changed it doesn't work anymore.

Does anyone know if BT Openworld has recently changed dial-up authentication
so that WAP access is no longer possible?

Gareth.

Old August 27th 04, 07:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mutley

"Gareth" wrote in message
I'm having problems obtaining a free SMTP account for the over priced BT
Broadband service which comes without a free SMTP email account.

For the past 9 months or so I've been using a BT Openworld email address

and
connecting occasionally via WAP mobile dial-up just to keep the account
alive (it otherwise expires after 90 days of non dial-up charged use).

In the past few weeks WAP dial-up doesn't seem to be working - I've tried
using a couple of different phones and despite the fact that my settings
haven't changed it doesn't work anymore.

Does anyone know if BT Openworld has recently changed dial-up

authentication
so that WAP access is no longer possible?

Gareth.

try using smtp.btopenworld.com

Old August 27th 04, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

"mutley" wrote in message

"Gareth" wrote in message
I'm having problems obtaining a free SMTP account for the over priced BT
Broadband service which comes without a free SMTP email account.

For the past 9 months or so I've been using a BT Openworld email address

and
connecting occasionally via WAP mobile dial-up just to keep the account
alive (it otherwise expires after 90 days of non dial-up charged use).

In the past few weeks WAP dial-up doesn't seem to be working - I've tried
using a couple of different phones and despite the fact that my settings
haven't changed it doesn't work anymore.

Does anyone know if BT Openworld has recently changed dial-up

authentication
so that WAP access is no longer possible?

Gareth.

try using smtp.btopenworld.com

No, I'm having problems with the actual dial-up authentication which was
working a few weeks ago but isn't working anymore.

BTOpenworld seems to have changed something which now means that WAP dialup
isn't possible. Can anyone confirm that this is the case?

I think with the new usage limits and the lack of included SMTP access I'm
going to have to look elsewhere.

Gareth.

Old August 27th 04, 08:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Gareth" wrote in message

I'm having problems obtaining a free SMTP account for the over priced
BT Broadband service which comes without a free SMTP email account.

You can use something like http://www.hotpop.com/index.jsp ?

Regards
Sunil

Old August 27th 04, 08:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
"Gareth" wrote in message

I'm having problems obtaining a free SMTP account for the over priced
BT Broadband service which comes without a free SMTP email account.

You can use something like http://www.hotpop.com/index.jsp ?

Thanks - I didn't know about that service.

I guess I'll have to kiss the BTOpenworld account goodbye. They've changes
something that all the WAP dial-up phones I've tried don't like but I can't
figure out what. It could be something as simple as an IP address I suppose
but there's no information available and, of course, the support service is
as much use as a chocolate teapot (telling me at one stage that they only
support Windows dial-up).

Gareth.

Old August 27th 04, 08:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Gradwell

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 18:34:19 +0100, "Gareth"
wrote:

I'm having problems obtaining a free SMTP account for the over priced BT
Broadband service which comes without a free SMTP email account.

Indeed... I don't think there are any good options. BT seem to be
getting rid of their mail servers.

We have a help document explaining the issue and suggesting some
alternative things you could do/use to send email which you may find
helpful.
http://www.gradwell.com/knowledge/bt-broadband-smtp.php

peter

Old August 27th 04, 08:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message ,
Gareth writes

No, I'm having problems with the actual dial-up authentication which
was working a few weeks ago but isn't working anymore.

BTOpenworld seems to have changed something which now means that WAP
dialup isn't possible. Can anyone confirm that this is the case?

Are you saying that BTY provided you with a dial up number for the use
of WAP, which you could access their smtp server from? What company is
your mobile with? I access them through GPRS but can't use smtp because
I am with vodafone. I use voda's own server for this. BTY have just
changed their settings (you must know this, they sent a million emails)
and only authenticated smtp can be used now. Details on their web site.
--
Pete Devlin
Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.
Old August 27th 04, 09:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Grass is greener

wrote:

I'm having problems obtaining a free SMTP account for the over priced BT
Broadband service which comes without a free SMTP email account.

Indeed... I don't think there are any good options.

BT seem to be
getting rid of their mail servers.

What does that mean ?

Old August 27th 04, 09:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Grass is greener

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 18:34:19 +0100, [Gareth] said :-

I'm having problems obtaining a free SMTP account for the over priced BT
Broadband service which comes without a free SMTP email account.

For the past 9 months or so I've been using a BT Openworld email address and
connecting occasionally via WAP mobile dial-up just to keep the account
alive (it otherwise expires after 90 days of non dial-up charged use).

In the past few weeks WAP dial-up doesn't seem to be working - I've tried
using a couple of different phones and despite the fact that my settings
haven't changed it doesn't work anymore.

Does anyone know if BT Openworld has recently changed dial-up authentication
so that WAP access is no longer possible?

Gareth.

What have you got set in your mobile for the mail servers ?
Old August 27th 04, 10:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

"pete devlin" wrote in message
In message , Gareth
writes

No, I'm having problems with the actual dial-up authentication which was
working a few weeks ago but isn't working anymore.

BTOpenworld seems to have changed something which now means that WAP
dialup isn't possible. Can anyone confirm that this is the case?

Are you saying that BTY provided you with a dial up number for the use of
WAP, which you could access their smtp server from? What company is your
mobile with? I access them through GPRS but can't use smtp because I am
with vodafone. I use voda's own server for this. BTY have just changed
their settings (you must know this, they sent a million emails) and only
authenticated smtp can be used now. Details on their web site.

I mean I used a mobile phone to dial-up via WAP so that I could keep a
BTOpenworld account live without using PC dial-up.

It seems that the settings have recently changed and it appears that oddly
it's no longer possible to be authenticated via WAP dial-up. I imagine that
there must be other people who used WAP dial-up to BTOpenworld and I wonder
if anyone has found a workaround or the changed settings.

Gareth.