Wanadoo dont

Old August 28th 04, 05:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
newton

Default Wanadoo dont

Can any one help. I have been on wannadont for nearly three weeks. My
downsteam on a 512k set up is only around 64kbps not much better than
dial-up. Wanadoo have proved to be totally useless in their first line
support. The people dont know a thing and it is obvious they can think
outside their script. I have spoken to them 6 times without success
they blame bt but I cant speak to BT and they dont seem to have
answers, never get back to me and and have asked me to carry out
rediculous things on my PC which have nothing to do with the
downstream speed. I have written to their customer service no reply
though does any body have clue why the speed is so slow.
Old August 28th 04, 05:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoSpam

"newton" wrote in message
m...
Can any one help. I have been on wannadont for nearly three weeks. My
downsteam on a 512k set up is only around 64kbps not much better than
dial-up. Wanadoo have proved to be totally useless in their first line
support. The people dont know a thing and it is obvious they can think
outside their script. I have spoken to them 6 times without success
they blame bt but I cant speak to BT and they dont seem to have
answers, never get back to me and and have asked me to carry out
rediculous things on my PC which have nothing to do with the
downstream speed. I have written to their customer service no reply
though does any body have clue why the speed is so slow.

http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/broadb...nternet_access

They're currently handling more calls than they can cope with due to recent
pricing changes.

At a guess, their networks are overloaded at the moment.

AMO

Old August 28th 04, 05:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Grass is greener

On 28 Aug 2004 08:41:38 -0700, [newton] said :-

Can any one help. I have been on wannadont for nearly three weeks. My
downsteam on a 512k set up is only around 64kbps not much better than
dial-up. Wanadoo have proved to be totally useless in their first line
support. The people dont know a thing and it is obvious they can think
outside their script. I have spoken to them 6 times without success
they blame bt but I cant speak to BT and they dont seem to have
answers, never get back to me and and have asked me to carry out
rediculous things on my PC which have nothing to do with the
downstream speed. I have written to their customer service no reply
though does any body have clue why the speed is so slow.

You have made sure that you've got the latest drivers, made sure
you've not got spyware, viruses/trojans etc ?
Old August 28th 04, 06:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On 28 Aug 2004 08:41:38 -0700, (newton) wrote:

though does any body have clue why the speed is so slow.

not from the information provided.

What do you get from the speed test at
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp

is your exchange having problems, see
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/capacity-league.php
look for status other than Green

does your modem / router give line speed, errored seconds,
attenuation, SNR figures ?

how are you measuring the 64kbps and are you aware that 512 kbits/s
connections give a download rate of about 58 kbytes/s ?

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old August 28th 04, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On 28 Aug 2004 08:41:38 -0700, (newton) wrote:

Can any one help. I have been on wannadont for nearly three weeks. My
downsteam on a 512k set up is only around 64kbps not much better than
dial-up. Wanadoo have proved to be totally useless in their first line
support. The people dont know a thing and it is obvious they can think
outside their script. I have spoken to them 6 times without success
they blame bt but I cant speak to BT and they dont seem to have
answers, never get back to me and and have asked me to carry out
rediculous things on my PC which have nothing to do with the
downstream speed. I have written to their customer service no reply
though does any body have clue why the speed is so slow.

As crazy as this may seen physically disconnect your analogue modem
from the phone line and then see if you are getting an Internet
connection.. If you are then you are connected to the Internet
through a Broadband connection.

Once this is sorted out go to
www.adslguide.org.uk and carry out a
speed test. If the results show that you are in the same ball park as
other end users for your connection speed then that is good as it
gets.

If your Internet experience remains similar to a dial up connection
then this would indicate that your PC has been infected with spyware.
Use a removal tool to clear out this unwanted intrusion.

Of course I could just say that your ISP is c**p but I will refrain
from doing so.

David Bradley

Old August 28th 04, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 18:24:48 +0100, David Bradley
wrote:

Of course I could just say that your ISP is c**p but I will refrain
from doing so.

a neighbour migrated from PAYG dialup to freeserve 512k and the
connection is as good as any ADSL connection for speed etc.

Phil
Old August 28th 04, 07:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 18:48:34 UTC, "Graham" wrote:

My downsteam on a 512k set up is only around 64kbps not much better than
dial-up.

That must have been SOME dial-up!
I'll have some of that, who was it?

ISDN??

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!

Old August 28th 04, 09:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 28 Aug 2004 08:41:38 -0700, (newton) wrote:

Can any one help. I have been on wannadont for nearly three weeks. My
downsteam on a 512k set up is only around 64kbps not much better than
dial-up. Wanadoo have proved to be totally useless in their first line
support. The people dont know a thing and it is obvious they can think
outside their script. I have spoken to them 6 times without success
they blame bt but I cant speak to BT and they dont seem to have
answers, never get back to me and and have asked me to carry out
rediculous things on my PC which have nothing to do with the
downstream speed. I have written to their customer service no reply
though does any body have clue why the speed is so slow.

That's an interesting speed as I have / had the same (58-64Kbps) and I
can't find out why!

During the checks BT rewired my phone socket and confirmed the line
was ok right up to my PC but I still got ~60Kbps.

I have 2xPC's with Win98se and a laptop with XP and all gave similar
results. I'm using another ISP and they were very helpful.
I checked the line as per their instructions by going direct into BT.
You must change your modem settings as follows:

Username [email protected]_domain
Password testing

Once connected enter
http://speedtester.bt.com/

You will have to include your phone number.

If this gives the same results then it's not your ISP as you're only
communicating with BT.

In my case I got the same results and my ISP had already replaced the
modem (USB) but I still had 3xPC's at the same speed. I eventually
tried a neighbours modem (Freeserve) and got the same results.

Next I tried to remove the Freeserve modem drivers (that was some
problem). Finished up using spyware to get rid of the rubbish left
behind. I still had the Freeserve logo on the top right of IE6. Could
not remove it so re-installed IE6 over the top. That got rid of the
logo and the speed suddenly went up to almost 500Kbps.

I tried re-installing IE6 on the other PC but no change. It was also
suggested I try Mozilla as apparently it's faster but not here.

If anybody can offer any suggestions how I got ~500Kbps on one PC and
not the other two I'd be very interested, especially if I can get the
Compaq Evo N115 running XP up to speed.
David
Old August 28th 04, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

Graham wrote:
Username [email protected]_domain
Password testing

Just a thought

If the OP is using OE like me, its worth pointing out that there is an
underscore between speedtest and domain which is rendered invisible
by the hyperlink underlining.

He's using Google Groups, which does underline links, but doesn't underline
this one (since its not a valid address), so it should look okay.

Dom