Connection Keeps Dropping - Please Help!

Old August 29th 04, 12:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

Default Connection Keeps Dropping - Please Help!

Hi to everyone,

I have a bit of a problem.

I've just signed up to One.Tel's 500k broadband service, installed the
Speedtouch 330 modem supplied, and it all works fine except for one
thing - the connection keeps dropping under two scenarios.

1. When I try to use it on that machine - for example use internet
explorer, msn messenger, or ping a remote server.

2. When I do a large download from another machine sharing it over a
network, for example streaming a video or downloading an exe. However,
it doesnt disconnect when im just browsing the net or using msn from
another machine on the network.

It also doesnt disconnect if i connect it and leave it...

It's on a Celeron 466 machine running a clean install of Win XP Pro
with 96MB RAM and an 8GB HDD.

Any ideas / patches / fixes?

Cheers,

bill

Oh, and its running the latest drivers, version 3.1 as supplied on the
CD.
Old August 29th 04, 12:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

Bill wrote:
Hi to everyone,

I have a bit of a problem.

I've just signed up to One.Tel's 500k broadband service, installed the
Speedtouch 330 modem supplied, and it all works fine except for one
thing - the connection keeps dropping under two scenarios.

1. When I try to use it on that machine - for example use internet
explorer, msn messenger, or ping a remote server.

2. When I do a large download from another machine sharing it over a
network, for example streaming a video or downloading an exe. However,
it doesnt disconnect when im just browsing the net or using msn from
another machine on the network.

It also doesnt disconnect if i connect it and leave it...

It's on a Celeron 466 machine running a clean install of Win XP Pro
with 96MB RAM and an 8GB HDD.

Could be a problem with the USB controller on the motherboard which is
causing the modem to lose power. If your sharing your ADSL over a network
you would probably be much better using a router anyway, not a USB modem.

Dominic

Old August 29th 04, 01:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

the connection keeps dropping under two scenarios.
1. When I try to use it on that machine - for example use internet
explorer, msn messenger, or ping a remote server.
2. When I do a large download from another machine sharing it over a
network, for example streaming a video or downloading an exe. However,
it doesnt disconnect when im just browsing the net or using msn from
another machine on the network.

USB modems use the computer they`re connected to to provide the
processing power needed to keep the connection open.

Streaming data or otherwise tying up the processor on other things sounds
like its using up more of the "free" processor time that the modem is
happy with.

I had a similar problem on a 1Ghz Duron when playing online games - I was
able to force the framerate to max out at 30fps and the problem reduced,
but still dropped out uncomfortably often.

I moved to a router/modem and haven`t had a problem since, although I did
uprate my processor a few months afterwards.

Old August 29th 04, 10:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On 29 Aug 2004 05:49:31 -0700, "Bill" strung
together this:

Does this mean I'd have to upgrade to a router?

It's the most sensible option.

Doesn't that negate the
point of the Speedtouch 330 USB that one.tel gave me free?

Yep, but they're not really free, and they're crap anyway.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd