Whoosh test failure ... indicative of what?

Old August 29th 04, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth Jones

Default Whoosh test failure ... indicative of what?

In message , Tx2
writes
The ISP did a whoosh test, which failed, and called BT in.
BT say there is connectivity.

hmmm ..... oddly enough, after BT reported connectivity, the light has
since stopped flashing. One wonders to what it is they aren't
admitting...?

Hmmmm indeed. After months of flawless operation, my modems sync light
has indicated a problem twice this week. It kept re-trying to no avail.
A phone call to those very nice chaps at Demon resulted in them
instigating the woosh test. They phone me back as soon as its done - and
hey presto, the min before they phoned, the sync had come back - but no
problem found!?!
Coincidence? I think not!

Note - I have a spare modem and that too couldn't get sync.

Note2 - there have been numerous BT vans parked down the road this last
week..... Coincidence ?????

It would be nice to know what the test does exactly. Does it reset
something in the exchange??

followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
followed by 'net'
Old August 29th 04, 12:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Gareth Jones wrote:
[...]

The Whoosh test will fail if your line is not in synch, but doing such a
test has been known to soft reset a port which is possibly why your service
restarted when Demon tested yours...

Old August 29th 04, 01:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

In article ,
says...

Hmmmm indeed. After months of flawless operation, my modems sync light
has indicated a problem twice this week. It kept re-trying to no avail.
A phone call to those very nice chaps at Demon resulted in them
instigating the woosh test. They phone me back as soon as its done - and
hey presto, the min before they phoned, the sync had come back - but no
problem found!?!
Coincidence? I think not!

Note - I have a spare modem and that too couldn't get sync.

Note2 - there have been numerous BT vans parked down the road this last
week..... Coincidence ?????

It would be nice to know what the test does exactly. Does it reset
something in the exchange??

The woosh test runs a number of tests on verious different aspects of
your connection:

* IP Layer Check - tests your IP layer for problems and transfer of
packets
* RADIUS logs - checks BT's RADIUS logs for any errors
* MSO / PEW / EMU check - Checks for major service incidents, planned
engineering works and emergency maintenance work on your exchange.
* ADSL Layer Check - Checks the actual ADSL signal strength and quality
(line loss etc).
* Copper Layer Check - Tests the actual copper line for faults

When the copper line test runs, on most exchanges these days, the ADSL
part of the circuit is switched out by a couple of relays so the line
can be tested as just as plain old PSTN line - this sometimes has the
effect of resetting the line.

Regards,
--
http://www.plus.net