"550 Relay not permitted - (ACL violation)"

Old August 29th 04, 01:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin

Default "550 Relay not permitted - (ACL violation)"

I connect to the Internet using Wanadoo broadband and send mail using the
Wanadoo SMTP server, but have my own domain, hosted by freeparking.co.uk,
who automatically forward email addressed to that domain to my Wanadoo
account. My normal practice when sending emails is to blind copy them to my
own domain, for filing purposes and as a sort of check that they've been
sent properly.

This arrangement has worked perfectly well until yesterday morning, when the
blind copies to my own domain started bouncing back to me with a "SMTP error
from remote mailer after end of data: host [my domain] 550 Relay not
permitted - (ACL violation)" error message. Doesn't happen when I send
emails to myself at my Wanadoo address - only at my own domain address.

My understanding is that 'relay not permitted' errors usually result from
trying to send using ISP A's SMTP server when actually connected to the
Internet using ISP B - but that clearly isn't the case here. I'm not
entirely sure whether it's the Wanadoo server or the freeparking server
which is rejecting my emails but the wording of the error leads me to
believe that it may well be freeparking's server. Maybe they(now) object to
the fact that my "From" address and the "To" address both relate to the same
domain - albeit with different names before the @ sign?

I've emailed both Wanadoo and freeparking about this. Haven't had more than
an autoresponse from freeparking yet, but have (this morning) received a
canned response from Wanadoo telling me how to set up Outlook Express!

If anybody has any experience of this or understands what's going on, I'd be
very grateful to hear from them.

Colin

Old August 29th 04, 08:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
will kemp

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 12:56:21 +0100, Colin wrote:

[...]

relaying rejection errors happen when a mail server or mail client
attempts to deliver mail to server "A", but the intended destination is
server "B" and server "A" is not configured to relay mail for server "B".

I'm not
entirely sure whether it's the Wanadoo server or the freeparking server
which is rejecting my emails [........]

well you're not fully understanding the bounce message in that case, as
there will be sufficient information in the bounce message to work out
exactly what's going on. however, bounce messages can sometimes be quite
bizarrely cryptic!

if you post the whole of the bounce message - including complete headers
(which you will probably have to specifically configure your mail reader
to display) here, i'll try and explain. but you'll have to do it by
tomorrow (monday) evening, as probably i'll be away from the computer for
over a week from tuesday morning).

[freeparking]
Maybe they(now) object to
the fact that my "From" address and the "To" address both relate to the same
domain - albeit with different names before the @ sign?

that's very unlikely.

it's much more likely to be some bodge-up in wanadoo's smtp server config!

I've emailed both Wanadoo and freeparking about this. Haven't had more than
an autoresponse from freeparking yet, but have (this morning) received a
canned response from Wanadoo telling me how to set up Outlook Express!

not entirely surprising, as the bounce message should have all the
information you need. although, of course, if it is wanadoo's fault, it
could be worth replying to the "how to set up outlook" email with a "how
to set up sendmail" message! ;-)

will

Old August 29th 04, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin

Will wrote:

"if you post the whole of the bounce message - including complete headers
(which you will probably have to specifically configure your mail reader to
display) here, i'll try and explain. but you'll have to do it by tomorrow
(monday) evening, as probably i'll be away from the computer for over a week
from tuesday morning)."

Here's the bounce message in its entirety - or as much of its entirety as I
can readily get from Outlook Express - with a few Xs inserted in place of IP
addresses and names and some "nospam"s also added:

[Quote begins]

SMTP error from remote mailer after end of data:
host mail.nospamcolinandjenny.org.uk [XX.XX.XX.XX]:
550 Relay not permitted - (ACL violation)

From: "Colin XXX"
To: "Lizzie XXX"
Subject: Working Yet?
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 15:59:31 +0100

[Quote ends]

Not sure if this gives you enough to make sense of what's going on.

Thanks, anyway, for taking the time to reply.

Colin

Old August 29th 04, 09:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MA

Colin wrote:
I've emailed both Wanadoo and freeparking about this. Haven't had
more than an autoresponse from freeparking yet, but have (this
morning) received a canned response from Wanadoo telling me how to
set up Outlook Express!

I'm having the same problem, and I use freeparking too, looks like it's a
problem their end.

Old August 29th 04, 11:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 19:27:25 +0100, "Colin"
wrote:

snip

I've just tried sending a mail to
and it was accepted with no errors. Maybe you managed to hit a
mis-configured mail server?

No need to XX out the IP adresses by the way, they're extremely easy
to find using various network tools.