Connection Keeps Dropping - Please Help!

Old August 29th 04, 02:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

Default Connection Keeps Dropping - Please Help!

Colin Wilson wrote:
I moved to a router/modem and haven`t had a problem since, although I

did
uprate my processor a few months afterwards.

Does this mean I'd have to upgrade to a router? Doesn't that negate the
point of the Speedtouch 330 USB that one.tel gave me free?

Old August 29th 04, 11:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I moved to a router/modem and haven`t had a problem since, although I
did uprate my processor a few months afterwards.

Does this mean I'd have to upgrade to a router? Doesn't that negate the
point of the Speedtouch 330 USB that one.tel gave me free?

Well, you don`t *have* to upgrade to a router, but they solve a hell of a
lot of problems where USB modems are concerned :-} (especially on lower
powered machines)

You might be happy to carry on rebooting every 10 minutes (which is how
bad mine got when playing online games), but it wore a little thing with
me - you might prefer to persevere though.

I was really dubious about making the leap myself at first (I don`t
usually have spare cash to throw around) but i`m glad I did - you can see
all the dumb questions I was asking when I took the plunge if search
google around March-April 2003 :-}

Netgear seem to have a lot of problems with firmware updates, whereas I
bought the cheapest 4 port router / modem that ebuyer were selling and
i`ve never had a problem.

Old August 30th 04, 08:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 05:49:31 -0700, Bill wrote:

Colin Wilson wrote:
I moved to a router/modem and haven`t had a problem since, although I

did
uprate my processor a few months afterwards.

Does this mean I'd have to upgrade to a router? Doesn't that negate the
point of the Speedtouch 330 USB that one.tel gave me free?

Does'nt the fact they give these things away ' free' ring warning bells ?

Dave

Old August 30th 04, 02:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Ramsden

Bill wrote:

Colin Wilson wrote:
I moved to a router/modem and haven`t had a problem since, although I

did
uprate my processor a few months afterwards.

Does this mean I'd have to upgrade to a router? Doesn't that negate the
point of the Speedtouch 330 USB that one.tel gave me free?

I agree with the former posters. You also will get other advantages since
you will not have your pc doing the work of the processing the adsl bytes
that eats your machines time with the passive chipset in the usb's.

You can also switch between Linux and Windoze, change machines and bootup
without loosing your ethernet connection not having to reconnect as well.

--
Lioncom adsl 4 port router, Nildram adsl running on Redhat 7.3. You can see
and hear me and my pal Joe Longthorne on uktalent.org.
Old August 30th 04, 03:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 13:47:42 +0100, Tiny Ramsden
strung together this:

You can also switch between Linux and Windoze, change machines and bootup
without loosing your ethernet connection not having to reconnect as well.

Who saids the OP was using Linux?
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old August 30th 04, 04:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

You can also switch between Linux and Windoze, change machines and bootup
without loosing your ethernet connection not having to reconnect as well.

Who saids the OP was using Linux?

No-one, but he was trying to indicate how easy it is to swap painlessly
between operating systems when using a router.

It doesn`t get much easier than a connection via LAN.

Old August 30th 04, 04:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

You might be happy to carry on rebooting every 10 minutes (which is how
bad mine got when playing online games), but it wore a little thing with
me - you might prefer to persevere though

LOL just spotted a typo in my own post - should have read "wore a little
thin"