Complicated Situation?

Old August 29th 04, 06:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy B

Default Complicated Situation?

Hi,
The current situation I have is this. At my house I have 2 separate phone
lines. One line for general use and another that was installed for the
internet in the dial-up days. For the past year or so I have had Zen 512kbps
BB installed on this line (internet line). After realising that it would be
cheaper to purchase 1Mbps BB on the general line and save on the 2nd line
rental I am looking to do this. I am interested in Pipex Solo 1000. My
questions are this:

1. Will I be able to connect using the general line considering that there
is currently an extension cable, 2 sky digiboxes, a phone and an answering
machine all currently connected. Is there a limit on how many splitters can
be used?
2. If I buy the package from Pipex and for some reason I am unable to
connect all devices, is there a time frame in which I can cancel the service
without cost to me?

Thanks all
Andy
--

To contact me, please use andrewbroomhead {AT} yahoo {DOT} co {DOT} uk

Old August 29th 04, 07:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 17:26:37 +0100, "Andy B" No Spam Thanks wrote:

1. Will I be able to connect using the general line considering that there
is currently an extension cable, 2 sky digiboxes, a phone and an answering
machine all currently connected. Is there a limit on how many splitters can
be used?

you could do a nice job with one faceplate splitter (see clarity.it et
al) or you could put a microfilter on each of the 4 items listed or on
the point where they connect to the main line.

You only need to filter the phones etc, if they all feed from one
point a single filter is enough.

There isn't a limit AFAIK to the number of filters you can have on a
system, I have 5.

2. If I buy the package from Pipex and for some reason I am unable to
connect all devices, is there a time frame in which I can cancel the service
without cost to me?

best ask them or read their T&Cs. In 2 weeks or so the "new regime"
would mean despatching a BT engineer to fix it if it didn't work, ie
to fit a faceplate filter or rewire as necessary.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old August 29th 04, 09:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

2. If I buy the package from Pipex and for some reason I am unable to
connect all devices, is there a time frame in which I can cancel the
service
without cost to me?

Why should any ISP take responsibility for your potentially faulty wiring?
If does not work BT will insist you try from the test socket with everything
else disconnected. If it works then the problem is in your wiring/equipment
and you will have to sort it out.

Old August 31st 04, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John R Whale

"Andy B" No Spam Thanks wrote in message
[...]

If I have read you correctly, you want to change the adsl from the 2nd line
to your original main number. If that is the case it you will have to cancel
your existing service and apply for the other line to be adsl enabled,
therefore you will incur the an installation/activation fee from the isp for
that line because it is a new installation. Why not cancel original line and
migrate the existing service to another isp? -. I cant really comment on how
your wiring set up will affect any connection, i suspect it will work unless
your line is marginal.