Pipex to PlusNet

Old August 30th 04, 02:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoSpam

Default Pipex to PlusNet

Are there any downsides moving from Pipex to PlusNet?

Does PlusNet have an 0845 number for dialup access if you are away from
home?

Does PlusNet have customers services at least as good as Pipex?

Are there any downsides to PlusNet compared to Pipex?

AMO

Old August 30th 04, 03:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 30 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "NoSpam" wrote:

Does PlusNet have an 0845 number for dialup access

Yes. I got myself a free 0845 account anyway, so not had a chance to know
if attempting to connect on dial-up from somewhere else is affected if the
ADSL router was keeping home connection up - ADSL is always fixed IP, so I
hope the 0845 would get a random IP and not "clash".

Never used PN on dial-up so far in my time with them (joined spring 2003).
Not used Pipex so unable to compare the two, unfortunately. Peter M.

Old August 30th 04, 01:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

"NoSpam" wrote in message

Are there any downsides moving from Pipex to PlusNet?

Having used both I have to say without any doubt - no way, absolutely no
downsides.

Does PlusNet have an 0845 number for dialup access if you are away from
home?

Yes.

Does PlusNet have customers services at least as good as Pipex?

Technical support and customer support are better. 24/7 365 days a year via
a local dial-up number.

I have to say though, as a detailed example, I didn't find Plusnet much use
at all in terms of providing advice for me to set up my new router (manual
config DNS settings and so on). They don't claim to provide this service so
I can't complain but it does seem to depend on who you talk to. The first
support guy I spoke to was very helpful - he suggested troubleshooting a few
other things to exclude other problems before phoning back but when I did
phone back and spoke to another support guy he basically terminated the
phone call with a short and sharp comment Plusnet don't provide that sort of
advice. All I was after was a bit of guidance to tell me that what I needed
was the server settings - I could have figured the router specific issues
out myself. Fair enough I suppose but I think it just shows that the tech
support can be inconsistent and it's therefore difficult to generalise about
good or bad service. Pipex support on the other hand is very consistent:
they simply don't have a bloody clue and are quite open about this from the
start. Their service deteriorated rapidly when they parted company with
Uunet support.

Are there any downsides to PlusNet compared to Pipex?

For many months the Plusnet news service was awful - basically unusable for
significant periods of time. This was unacceptable and despite, no doubt, a
lot of wok behind the scenes an end user solution was very, very, very slow
in coming (months). That problem is fixed now and the service is very good.
Aside from that the actual broadband connection itself is *very* good in
terms of reliability and speed - every network has problems from time to
time and I don't think Plusnet has any more than its fair and reasonable
share.

I've never been able to access the game servers and I have to wonder whether
or not they still exist. The other added extras are pretty good including a
basic cgi shell account.

It's a good service and I would recommend it but I wonder whether or not
there are now better value for money deals available. Still, I believe that
Plusnet has a 45 day cancellation offer whereby they will pay for you to
transfer to another ISP if you're not happy with their service.

Gareth.

Old August 30th 04, 01:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoSpam

"Gareth" wrote in message
It's a good service and I would recommend it but I wonder whether or not
there are now better value for money deals available. Still, I believe

that
Plusnet has a 45 day cancellation offer whereby they will pay for you to
transfer to another ISP if you're not happy with their service.
Gareth.

What do you mean that there are better value for money deals available?
Where?

AMO

Old August 30th 04, 01:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoSpam

I just got some feedback from PlusNet.

They told me that if I go for the 1Mb service and go for the basic plan for
1GB @ 14.99, it costs an extra 2.10 for each GB I go over.

So the way I see it, is that if I opt for this service, for it to reach the
23.44 that I am getting charged by Pipex for their unlimited 512K service,
I would have to download 4GB per month:
14.99 for 1 GB + (2.10 * 3) = 21.29.

I think that for a 1Mb service, this is worth it. Most of the time I only
read newsgroups and email with a bit of web surfing, so this might be a
better package for me.

However, in the last month I have been using eMule to download songs - I
might be better off going to the 21.99 package for 512K unlimited instead.
Will decide later, but will definately migrate from Pipex now.

Thanx.

AMO

Old August 30th 04, 02:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, "NoSpam" wrote:

for it to reach the 23.44 that I am getting charged by Pipex for
their unlimited 512K service, I would have to download 4GB per month:
14.99 for 1 GB + (2.10 * 3) = 21.29.

2.10 is only charged when you *exceed* the quota you've signed up for.
The fee per GB is 1.75 at signup or if you upgrade/downgrade to some
other quota. So 4 GB would be 20.24, 5 GB: 21.99, 6 GB: 23.74.

Old August 30th 04, 05:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 30 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, thoss wrote:

So provided I never exceeded 5 GB in a month, I could double my speed
from 512K unlimited for no extra cost. Seems good to me.

and migrate for free :-) Why I chose the username 'goodvalueisp' :-)