A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

Simple Plug and play USB Router



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 30th 04, 02:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
blueyonder
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Simple Plug and play USB Router

Please can someone recommend a simple plug and play Router for BT Broadband
USB Modem and the best place on line to purchase it from?

Thanks,


Stewart


  #2  
Old August 30th 04, 02:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,542
Default Simple Plug and play USB Router

On 30 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "blueyonder" wrote:

Please can someone recommend a simple plug and play Router for BT Broadband
USB Modem and the best place on line to purchase it from?


You need to decide what you're after... a router with built in ADSL modem,
and either 1 port or 4 ports for 10/100 Mbps LAN connections, or a USB ADSL
modem.

I would recommend the former, and there are simple models from 35 GBP
(+VAT) on Ebuyer.com (ASR-8400, not in stock at present) or Dabs.com
with the PTI-840 model. Peter.

--
PlusNet http://tinyurl.com/24ymz - I recommend them and save some cash.
  #3  
Old August 30th 04, 02:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 167
Default Simple Plug and play USB Router

Forget USB for ADSL!


  #4  
Old August 30th 04, 11:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alec
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9
Default Simple Plug and play USB Router

"blueyonder" wrote in message
. uk...
Please can someone recommend a simple plug and play Router for BT
Broadband
USB Modem and the best place on line to purchase it from?

Thanks,


Stewart

Buy my ADSL Modem Router:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MESE:IT


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.745 / Virus Database: 497 - Release Date: 27/08/2004


  #5  
Old August 31st 04, 10:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 52
Default Simple Plug and play USB Router

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:59:39 +0100, "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

Forget USB for ADSL!

Why?

Phil

  #6  
Old August 31st 04, 12:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 167
Default Simple Plug and play USB Router

Forget USB for ADSL!

Why?


The general opinion seesm to be that USB modems often cause problems. The
other reason is that running ADSL without a firewall, preferably a hardware
one, is false economy. If you buy a router with built in firewall this also
gives you the opportunity to run a second second PC on the same phone line.


  #7  
Old August 31st 04, 02:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,542
Default Simple Plug and play USB Router

On 31 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Phil wrote:

Why?


the benefits of a combined ADSL modem/router/ethernet switch are several:

o you can use any combination of Apple/Linux/OS2/Windows where USB may
restrict you depending on available driver software

o the router will maintain a connection with any PC(s) switched off
and sharing is made easier if you add a second, or third, or more

o TCP/IP because it has been around longer is rather more stable than USB
Multi-port routers are common and offer 10/100 support and even sense a
connection so you no longer need cross-over cables - these units adjust
to make the connection work. Life is really simple with a router!

o a router may or may not include a firewall, but when used in NAT mode,
even with no firewall, will act to deflect a number of attempted hits
on the kit at your end, where you have no similar protection from USB
modems. Running a firewall on your PC is recommended - or a dedicated
firewall between your PC(s) and the internet at minimum.
  #8  
Old September 1st 04, 09:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 52
Default Simple Plug and play USB Router

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 12:18:53 +0100, "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

Forget USB for ADSL!

Why?


The general opinion seesm to be that USB modems often cause problems. The
other reason is that running ADSL without a firewall, preferably a hardware
one, is false economy. If you buy a router with built in firewall this also
gives you the opportunity to run a second second PC on the same phone line.

Many thanks for the explanation.

Phil
  #9  
Old September 1st 04, 09:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 52
Default Simple Plug and play USB Router

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:31:09 +0100, poster
wrote:

On 31 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Phil wrote:

Why?


the benefits of a combined ADSL modem/router/ethernet switch are several:

o you can use any combination of Apple/Linux/OS2/Windows where USB may
restrict you depending on available driver software

o the router will maintain a connection with any PC(s) switched off
and sharing is made easier if you add a second, or third, or more

o TCP/IP because it has been around longer is rather more stable than USB
Multi-port routers are common and offer 10/100 support and even sense a
connection so you no longer need cross-over cables - these units adjust
to make the connection work. Life is really simple with a router!

o a router may or may not include a firewall, but when used in NAT mode,
even with no firewall, will act to deflect a number of attempted hits
on the kit at your end, where you have no similar protection from USB
modems. Running a firewall on your PC is recommended - or a dedicated
firewall between your PC(s) and the internet at minimum.

Many thanks for the info.

Phil
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Linksys router & laptop NIC won't play nice Lionel B uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 4 January 31st 04 12:40 AM
2 Lines, both extended, where to plug ADSL? pawhe uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 1 January 13th 04 10:59 PM
Simple question re LAN Dave uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 5 January 6th 04 08:49 AM
Just tried to plug in my new US Robotics ISDN modem to a UK phone socket. ????? Helllllp!!! RubbishRat uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 7 November 26th 03 07:05 PM
Pipex - BT pulled the plug King Queen uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 6 November 19th 03 11:32 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2018 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.