Interference

Old August 30th 04, 05:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reg Edwards

Default Interference

We've heard about interference by Internet services to radio reception.

How about interference by high power broadcasters and nearby amateur radio
stations to Internet services?

It comes under the heading of bad signal-to-noise ratio. How do you know
when you are suffering from it?

Old August 30th 04, 05:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan Wood

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message
We've heard about interference by Internet services to radio reception.

How about interference by high power broadcasters and nearby amateur radio
stations to Internet services?

It comes under the heading of bad signal-to-noise ratio. How do you know
when you are suffering from it?

radio amateur mode
Broadband is not designed to receive radio signals. Any unwanted effects as
a result of radio reception are the responsibility of the broadband
equpiment provider to sort out.
/radio amateur mode

The above stance has always got me out of trouble when dealing with
telephone services anyway! Had a neighbour who started to pick up my signals
on his phone. Told him to report it to BT, and they duly came out and sorted
it for him. Broadband is an 'interesting' case as it uses RF carriers, but I
doubt it's legal protection from interference is likely to be any different
than a telephone.

As to how you know... Well, if it is a radio amateur upsetting your
equipment then you should see it come and go, maybe even with a regular
pattern. Most radio amateurs don't transmit 24/7! If you suspect a radio
amateur, make a note of the times and dates you have the problem and then go
and have a friendly word with them. All radio amateurs are required to keep
a log of every single transmission they make so it would be a simple matter
to match up the times and see if they are behind the trouble. You may even
be able to identify if it is a specific frequency or power that the amateur
is using, which could help you design a cure for your equpiment.

The main thing to remember is that the amateur has a licence to transmit,
and that broadband is not supposed to respond to radio signals. Most
amateurs are a helpful bunch, and will offer to help you with some tests
etc., but at the end of the day if it comes down to your broadband versus
their radio, then the law is probably with the amateur.

HTH (a bit!),

Dan.

P.S. My own broadband (and the broadband of 5 other local radio amateurs)
lives quite happily in conjunction with our HF/VHF/UHF transmitters so it is
possible for the two to get along quite happily!

Old August 30th 04, 07:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

[...]

I don't know if I cause interference to anybody's broadband, but what I do
know is that the overhead broadband enabled lines round here play havoc with
my Topband reception!

Graham
G3ZVT