Connection Keeps Dropping - Please Help!

Old August 31st 04, 01:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

Default Connection Keeps Dropping - Please Help!

So am i right in thinking if i buy an ADSL Router that i can bin my USB
Speedtouch 330 modem alltogether and the router connects to the
microfilter? And then i connect my two machines into the RJ45 ports on
the router with normal network cables?

If this is so, how does the connection work? Is the username and
password for One.Tel stored on the router or do I need to install some
software on the machines?
Will the connection work on one machine when the other is switched off?

Old August 31st 04, 04:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

So am i right in thinking if i buy an ADSL Router that i can bin my USB
Speedtouch 330 modem alltogether and the router connects to the
microfilter? And then i connect my two machines into the RJ45 ports on
the router with normal network cables?
If this is so, how does the connection work? Is the username and
password for One.Tel stored on the router or do I need to install some
software on the machines?
Will the connection work on one machine when the other is switched off?

Dead right on all counts :-)

The router handles the connection, you just tell the PCs to connect via
LAN. The PCs will be able to connect independently without the other
being switched on.

The router will also act as a bit of a firewall, and will only allow data
"in" if one of your machines requested it* - so it stops all the port
scan crap in one fell swoop :-)

If you want to run an ftp server or similar, you can simply tell the
router to open whatever ports you want to use, and they`ll pass through
unhindered - the same goes for certain apps that might need specific
ports when operating a server, ie. some p2p apps / games