broadband download capping

Old August 31st 04, 12:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
davek

Default broadband download capping

Hello, after hearing about BT's threat to start capping downloads, I've
browsed the newsgroup for info on this subject and found lots of useful
information.

But what I don't know is whether or not I will actually be affected by
the download limits.

I currently use my broadband connection to listen to the radio over the
internet for several hours most days (one of the joys of working from
home) as well as doing a fair bit of web surfing - all work related, of
course

Plus I reckon I have a fair bit of email traffic sending files to clients.

But I don't do any online gaming.

I reckon chances are pretty high I'd come into BT's definition of a high
user. Is there a way of measuring how much bandwidth I am consuming?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

d.
Old August 31st 04, 12:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Russell

"davek" wrote in message
Is there a way of measuring how much bandwidth I am consuming?

www.dumeter.com

Russell

Old August 31st 04, 12:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Raven

davek wrote:

I reckon chances are pretty high I'd come into BT's definition of a high
user. Is there a way of measuring how much bandwidth I am consuming?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Get Netmeter - http://readerror.gmxhome.de/

The usage summary will give you daily, weekly and monthly usage so you
can see how much you use. It also does a prediction of monthly usage
based on usage so far so you don't need a whole month to get a
reasonable guesstimate

Tony
Old August 31st 04, 03:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Frankie Ooi

Is there a way of measuring how much bandwidth I am consuming?

Try this... no download needed hence doesn't add additional load to your
machine...
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp

or links from...
http://www.dslreports.com/stest?more=1

Regards,
Frankie Ooi

Old August 31st 04, 07:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Makoque

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 03:30:49 +0100, "Dan" wrote:

I use pipex and don't have to worry about caps.

50gb a month is my average usage and they haven't complained once.

what, may I ask, do you download?

AL
Old August 31st 04, 07:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Frankie Ooi

Default broadband download capping (revised)

mmm... It was a mistake actually... You are talking about how much bandwidth
you are using... I try the Netmeter recommended by Tony and it's really
good, another point -- it's a Freeware...
http://readerror.gmxhome.de/

Regards,
Frankie Ooi

Old August 31st 04, 08:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Taylor

Tony Raven wrote:

davek wrote:

I reckon chances are pretty high I'd come into BT's definition of a
high user. Is there a way of measuring how much bandwidth I am consuming?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Get Netmeter - http://readerror.gmxhome.de/

The usage summary will give you daily, weekly and monthly usage so you
can see how much you use. It also does a prediction of monthly usage
based on usage so far so you don't need a whole month to get a
reasonable guesstimate

I have just downloaded this and can't find it under N anywhere. Any idea
what the downloaded file name is and where it sits? I downloaded the
beta as it seems to be OK for XP.

--
Andrew Taylor (Ampers on Skype)
London UK - www.taylor.co.uk
Old August 31st 04, 09:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Grass is greener

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 07:58:42 +0000 (UTC), [Andrew Taylor] said :-

Tony Raven wrote:

davek wrote:

I reckon chances are pretty high I'd come into BT's definition of a
high user. Is there a way of measuring how much bandwidth I am consuming?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Get Netmeter - http://readerror.gmxhome.de/

The usage summary will give you daily, weekly and monthly usage so you
can see how much you use. It also does a prediction of monthly usage
based on usage so far so you don't need a whole month to get a
reasonable guesstimate

I have just downloaded this and can't find it under N anywhere. Any idea
what the downloaded file name is and where it sits? I downloaded the
beta as it seems to be OK for XP.

Search for a file on your HD called :-

NetMeter_v0999beta2.exe

(it's obvious if you re-check the website and hover over the link).
Old August 31st 04, 09:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 31 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Dan" wrote:

I use pipex and don't have to worry about caps.

which is fine if you use Pipex, but if the a/c is paid for by some
employer and has to stay with the current ISP, makes no difference
(and the original poster doesn't even have to dig in his pocket to
pay for the ISP charge). So how does you using Pipex help him see
how much traffic is going on his connection ????? Peter M.