help! failed with my first wirless link!!

Old August 31st 04, 08:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Harris

Default help! failed with my first wirless link!!

Tried to connect a computer in the spare room with a wireless link
today but it won't work ggrrrr. Any ideas would be greatfully
appreciated.

Got the Dynamode R-ADSL-C4W-G modem/router to work with the main PC
but plugging the USB wirless unit into the remote PC....no
signal....no link! I think I have the software installed correctly
both ends, correct channel etc. Software wireless icon indicates no
signal. WEP is dissabled (do I need this?)

both PC's run XP and only 6m appart.......any ideas?

Andy
Old August 31st 04, 09:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tmax

"Andy Harris" wrote in message
Tried to connect a computer in the spare room with a wireless link
today but it won't work ggrrrr. Any ideas would be greatfully
appreciated.

Got the Dynamode R-ADSL-C4W-G modem/router to work with the main PC
but plugging the USB wirless unit into the remote PC....no
signal....no link! I think I have the software installed correctly
both ends, correct channel etc. Software wireless icon indicates no
signal. WEP is dissabled (do I need this?)

both PC's run XP and only 6m appart.......any ideas?

Andy

I've no direct experience with USB adaptors, but I think an internal
wireless card is preferable. Re your imediate problem - have you checked
that both units are set to the same channel? Incidentally, experimenting
with the channels (1 -11) can help if you get dropped connections etc, I
find that #4 works better for me, maybe something to do with other high
frquency signals from microwaves, TV remotes, etc.

Old August 31st 04, 09:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Deag

Got the Dynamode R-ADSL-C4W-G modem/router to work with the main PC
but plugging the USB wirless unit into the remote PC....no
signal....no link! I think I have the software installed correctly
both ends, correct channel etc. Software wireless icon indicates no
signal. WEP is dissabled (do I need this?)

both PC's run XP and only 6m appart.......any ideas?

Andy

What is the distance between the PCs and how many walls (solid or
plasterboard) in between?

Old August 31st 04, 10:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Philip

Andy Harris wrote:
Tried to connect a computer in the spare room with a wireless link
today but it won't work ggrrrr. Any ideas would be greatfully
appreciated.

Got the Dynamode R-ADSL-C4W-G modem/router to work with the main PC
but plugging the USB wirless unit into the remote PC....no
signal....no link! I think I have the software installed correctly
both ends, correct channel etc. Software wireless icon indicates no
signal. WEP is dissabled (do I need this?)

both PC's run XP and only 6m appart.......any ideas?

Andy

Possibly a similar problem to one I had with some Netgear kit. 2 feet
apart the wireless icon briefly reported excellent signal then went to
no-signal. Fixed by going to services in control panel and stopping and
disabling "Wireless Zero Configuration"

JP
Old August 31st 04, 11:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Andy Harris wrote:

Tried to connect a computer in the spare room with a wireless link
today but it won't work ggrrrr. Any ideas would be greatfully
appreciated.

Got the Dynamode R-ADSL-C4W-G modem/router to work with the main PC
but plugging the USB wirless unit into the remote PC....no
signal....no link! I think I have the software installed correctly
both ends, correct channel etc. Software wireless icon indicates no
signal. WEP is dissabled (do I need this?)

both PC's run XP and only 6m appart.......any ideas?

Andy

Does the main PC have a wireless connection, or is that wired? What happens
if you sit the remote computer right next to the router rather than 6 metres
away?

Basically, wireless has to be enabled on the router, and your wireless
network has to be given a name (SSID). The remote computer has to be set up
to use the same channel as the router, and to connect to the correct
network, as defined by SSID. If you have told the router not to broadcast
SSID, the remote computer will have to be told the ID explicitly -
otherwise, it should find it.

If you are using MAC address filtering, the router has to be told the remote
computer's MAC address - otherwise it won't talk to it.

If you're using any sort of security/encryption (WEP or WPA) this has to be
configured in exactly the same way for all wireless devices in your network.
Turn this off - and MAC address filtering - until you get all devices
talking to each other, and then turn it on again and tweek it so that they
*still* talk.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 1st 04, 08:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Harris

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 22:04:15 +0100, "Tiscali Tim"

Andy Harris wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your input. Having got the kit from Ebuyer I shan't get any
help from there!
I have no way of knowing whether the transmitter isn't transmitting
or the receiver isn't receiving as I have no other wirless gear.
I haven't set up the SSID, perhaps that's my problem the instructions
don't mention SSID settings! can I use any name here?
Appart from trying the two PC's closer together, what else could I
try?

Andy (deeply frustrated)
Old September 1st 04, 11:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Philip

I have no way of knowing whether the transmitter isn't transmitting
or the receiver isn't receiving as I have no other wirless gear.
I haven't set up the SSID, perhaps that's my problem the instructions
don't mention SSID settings! can I use any name here?
Appart from trying the two PC's closer together, what else could I
try?

Andy (deeply frustrated)

What indication does the wireless (WLAN) light on the router give. Move
the router within line of sight of the PC for testing. Did you check out
the Wireless Zero Configuration?

JP