Which ISP provides the cheapest BB using a BT line?

Old August 31st 04, 09:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
M3

Default Which ISP provides the cheapest BB using a BT line?

Hi,

I want to provide my parents with a Broadband connection to send and receive
the occasional photo or emails and to use VOIP or even a webcam occasionally
as we live in different parts of the UK, I would be paying the monthly fee.

I would prefer an ISP that supplies a fixed IP address.

It doesn't have to be 512k but I don't want any download restrictions etc.

Any recommendations?

Cheers,

Old August 31st 04, 11:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"M3" ### wrote in message news:[email protected]
I want to provide my parents with a Broadband connection to send and
receive the occasional photo or emails and to use VOIP or even a
webcam occasionally as we live in different parts of the UK, I would
be paying the monthly fee.

I would prefer an ISP that supplies a fixed IP address.

It doesn't have to be 512k but I don't want any download restrictions
etc.

Any recommendations?

Have a look at Metronet - especially if they will be light users

Regards
Sunil

Old September 1st 04, 12:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonty

M3 wrote:
Hi,

I want to provide my parents with a Broadband connection to send and
receive the occasional photo or emails and to use VOIP or even a
webcam occasionally as we live in different parts of the UK, I would
be paying the monthly fee.

I would prefer an ISP that supplies a fixed IP address.

It doesn't have to be 512k but I don't want any download restrictions
etc.

Any recommendations?

Cheers,

Have a look at plus.net, 512kb - 14.99 incl VAT for 1Gb raising to 21.99
incl VAT for uncapped, the good thing about this one is that you are
effectively charged the following month depending usage i.e. you only pay
for what you use. 1mb is similar priced for 'low' usage, but costs 29.99
uncapped.

Not sure if you know what their usage is likely to be but something like 90%
of BB users use less than 2gb / month, and 95% less than 5gb / month.

Jon

Old September 1st 04, 09:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonty

guv wrote:

I doubt those stats very much. Where did you dig them up from - or is
it your guess?

I'm only the messenger! - The latter one from ADSLguide.org.uk, item posted
on Tuesday, 24 August 2004, 08:45, dont have the 1st one to hand, but did
read it somewhere recently.

Jon

Old September 1st 04, 09:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"M3" ### wrote in message news:[email protected]
Hi,

I want to provide my parents with a Broadband connection to send and

receive
the occasional photo or emails and to use VOIP or even a webcam

occasionally
as we live in different parts of the UK, I would be paying the monthly

fee.

I would prefer an ISP that supplies a fixed IP address.

It doesn't have to be 512k but I don't want any download restrictions etc.

Have a look at http://www.dialstart.net/

No fixed IP but it doesn't have any restrictions and is 18 quid a month if
you sign up before the end of September. I did drop them an email to check
it was permanently 18 quid, the reply wasn't all that clear but it did say I
would get 28 days notice of any price changes.

Any recommendations?

Cheers,

Old September 1st 04, 10:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
GwG

"Dave" wrote in message

"M3" ### wrote in message news:[email protected]
Hi,

I want to provide my parents with a Broadband connection to send and

receive
the occasional photo or emails and to use VOIP or even a webcam

occasionally
as we live in different parts of the UK, I would be paying the monthly

fee.

I would prefer an ISP that supplies a fixed IP address.

It doesn't have to be 512k but I don't want any download restrictions etc.

Have a look at http://www.dialstart.net/

No fixed IP but it doesn't have any restrictions and is 18 quid a month if
you sign up before the end of September. I did drop them an email to check
it was permanently 18 quid, the reply wasn't all that clear but it did say I
would get 28 days notice of any price changes.

I have just had a look at the Dialstart website and I was not impressed. One
example, it states on the site for Pay-As-You-Go
"Only pay local call rates for the time you spend online. No subscription
charges"
This implies that if I was using a telephone service like '1899' with no charge
for 'local calls' and only a 3p connection charge, I could be using Dialstart
for as long as I like for 3p per connection, but I suspect that Dialstart's
local call rates actually mean 0845 type numbers, although I could not find any
reference to this on the site. Very vague and misleading.

Old September 1st 04, 11:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 31 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, guv wrote:

I doubt those stats very much.
Where did you dig them up from - or is it your guess?

I've read it in more than one place... I believe one was a comment
from someone (perhaps staff) on Plus.Net which included their stats
from actual ADSL users, else they would not see fit to offer a 1 GB
capped account, and would start at 3 or whatever, nor would they be
ready to stop at 6 GB and then go 'uncapped' for a flat rate unless
they know relatively few users match that upper end profile, as the
fees are hardly excessive compared with many. Peter M.
Old September 1st 04, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 20:55:00 +0100, "M3" ### wrote:

I would be paying the monthly fee.

Lixxus doesn't have one, pure PAYG after the 80 odd setup fee.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old September 1st 04, 11:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 01 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, guv wrote:

Cannot help thinking that is just speculation to brand people excessive
users if they did go over the 1GB cap.

The ISPs I've used have been happy to state they have no plans for any
caps. A small number of ISPs seem to be much less flexible in having
rather large gaps in their tier structure, or hefty penalties if one
exceeds their low(ish) limits. Plus.Net doesn't seem to be doing a
bit of finger-pointing - they offer uncapped, and do appreciate some
use the connection to pass much more data than others, without making
any 'judgement' on why. After all, despite various not-so-legal uses,
there are plenty of legitimate, high volume, data sources.

In full flow (which isnt that often!), I'd have another month to
wait after little more than an hours use!

That's pretty impressive. What speed is your connection ? Peter M.