Which wireless router/modem?

Old September 1st 04, 01:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Rodgers

Default Which wireless router/modem?

Hi,

I hope to get ADSL soon and will be investing in a wireless access point,
router and modem-in-one jobby.

I've got 3 computers, all with Asus 802.11g WLan cards. The furthest
distance between computers is about 15 metres. It's just around the house
and all the machines roughly on the same level. I'd like to spend up to 80
and have the following criteria:

a) Must have a decent signal range
b) Must be straightforward to setup

I'm not actually that well up on networking - I'll be going with Plusnet,
and I'd like each machine on the network to have its own external IP if
thats possible?

Also, I'd like to limit one of the machines on the network to only 20% of
available bandwidth - is this possible? Can I do it with software on the
machine in question?

So, can anyone recommend a piece of kit for me?

I currently have a 10mbit wired network and will be using the ADSL for
gaming - will I see a noticeable degredation in ping through using wireless?
Also, is it possible for somebody to be browsing the web on the connection
whilst I play games like Desert Combat without interuption?

Thanks!

Old September 1st 04, 11:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 01:21:53 +0100, "Michael Rodgers"
wrote:

Hi,

I hope to get ADSL soon and will be investing in a wireless access point,
router and modem-in-one jobby.

I've got 3 computers, all with Asus 802.11g WLan cards. The furthest
distance between computers is about 15 metres. It's just around the house
and all the machines roughly on the same level. I'd like to spend up to 80
and have the following criteria:

a) Must have a decent signal range
b) Must be straightforward to setup

See http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=456 for a
review of a number of them. Ignore the prices, most of them can be had
much cheaper. Misco/Simply sell at least four of the ones reviewed, at
prices between 65 and 85 (plus VAT)

I'm not actually that well up on networking - I'll be going with Plusnet,
and I'd like each machine on the network to have its own external IP if
thats possible?

It is possible, but generally frowned on. Why do you want that? Most
of the routers only allow it for machines that are in what is known as
the DMZ - which is outside the firewall.

Also, I'd like to limit one of the machines on the network to only 20% of
available bandwidth - is this possible? Can I do it with software on the
machine in question?

Again, it is certainly possible. I'm not sure if any of those routers
allow it, but I think some do.

So, can anyone recommend a piece of kit for me?

Well I am intending buying the 3Com one, but not having used any as
yet, I can't really recommend it to others :-)

Old September 2nd 04, 09:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

wrote:

I'm not actually that well up on networking - I'll be going with Plusnet,
and I'd like each machine on the network to have its own external IP if
thats possible?

It is possible, but generally frowned on. Why do you want that? Most
of the routers only allow it for machines that are in what is known as
the DMZ - which is outside the firewall.

In the case of the Netgear DG834G you can turn off NAT, although you
will have to customise your firewall configuration if you do that.
Help on this would be available in the router interface.

I have one of these boxes but I've not disabled NAT so I cannot offer
any first hand advice on what to expect.
Old September 2nd 04, 09:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terrycymru

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 09:37:09 +0100, Simon Pleasants wrote:

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 23:54:52 +0100, Alex Heney wrote:

In the case of the Netgear DG834G you can turn off NAT, although you
will have to customise your firewall configuration if you do that.
Help on this would be available in the router interface.

I have one of these boxes but I've not disabled NAT so I cannot offer
any first hand advice on what to expect.

Just the man I need to speak to! I've got a Netgear DG834G on order. How
good have you found it to be? Are there any quirks I need to be aware of as
a complete newbie to broadband and wireless? I'm particularly interested in
your experience of the wireless range because I'm going to use it in an old
house with thick stone walls!

TIA,
Terry
Old September 2nd 04, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 09:55:55 +0100, Terrycymru wrote:

Just the man I need to speak to! I've got a Netgear DG834G on order. How
good have you found it to be? Are there any quirks I need to be aware of as
a complete newbie to broadband and wireless? I'm particularly interested in
your experience of the wireless range because I'm going to use it in an old
house with thick stone walls!

Personally my experience of this unit is a positive one. It arrived
with firmware v1.03, which I updated initially to v1.04 and then
v1.05, all without incident.

I had to move unplug the router recently as I was moving things around
in that room. Its uptime at time was over 900hrs - the previous
restart being when v1.05 was installed. Since plugging it back in the
uptime is now standing at about 350hrs. The evidence suggests that
stability is not a big issue.

In terms of wireless range I think that thick stone walls will be a
major problem, but I doubt that will be limited to this unit. My set
up consists of two PC's (one acting as a server) which are situated in
the recently converted loft of my house. The server PC reports about
85% signal detected by its WG311T PCI card. The machine is backed
onto a wall at one end of the loft. The router is on a corner shelf
in a spare bedroom on the 1st floor at the opposite end of the house.
It is also against a wall, unfortunately. A lot of my work, and that
of the Mrs, is done using a laptop, used either in the dining room
when working seriously or on a lap in front the TV in the lounge.
Signal is usually 90-95%.

Our house is a little over 2 years old, not particularly huge and, in
common with most new houses, has mostly dry wall interiors which might
explain the good signals. I did notice a considerable drop off when
using it in the back garden. In this instance it is having to put the
signal out through a triple skinned external wall (including drywall,
lagging, thermal blocks and then brickwork) and having to do so from
the opposite end of the house (the bedroom in which it lives is at the
front of the house). This, of course, also means it has several
internal walls and the floor to contend with as well.

Nevertheless, I was disappointed it did not do better than about 25%.
It is also the case that I was sitting outside our kitchen so besides
walls, it might have had interference from the dishwasher, washing
machine, stainless steel sinks and the boiler all of which are along
that back wall on the inside. Perhaps my expectations were
unreasonable?

I hope this information is useful.
Old September 2nd 04, 07:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terrycymru

Thanks Simon. all very helpful. Fortunately, the house with thick stone
walls is only temporary. Hopefully, all will be OK when I move into a new
timber-framed house in 4 months time.

Just one other point: you mention percentage signal strength. How do you
find out what this is in a particular location? At what percentage does
ADSL stop working?
Old September 3rd 04, 12:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 19:57:24 +0100, Terrycymru wrote:

Thanks Simon. all very helpful. Fortunately, the house with thick stone
walls is only temporary. Hopefully, all will be OK when I move into a new
timber-framed house in 4 months time.

Just one other point: you mention percentage signal strength. How do you
find out what this is in a particular location? At what percentage does
ADSL stop working?

It isn't a case of ADSL not working. It is a case of the wireless link
to the router not working.

I don't know what the limit is, I would imagine that varies depending
on the device (wireless PC card, or built in on many modern laptops)
involved.

You will find out what it is by querying the device. I expect the
manual will tell you what commands to use to get that information.

I'll probably be able to tell you more in a couple of weeks :-)

Old September 3rd 04, 08:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 19:57:24 +0100, Terrycymru wrote:

Thanks Simon. all very helpful. Fortunately, the house with thick stone
walls is only temporary. Hopefully, all will be OK when I move into a new
timber-framed house in 4 months time.

No problem.

Just one other point: you mention percentage signal strength. How do you
find out what this is in a particular location? At what percentage does
ADSL stop working?

The signal strength is simply the strength of the wireless signal
being picked up by the client. The percentage strengths of all
detected wireless networks will be displayed in the Netgear native GUI
(i.e. the program interface which controls the wireless connections on
the client). This will vary depending upon the distance from the AP
and the obstacles in between.

ADSL will not stop working, per se, as your computer will no longer
connect directly to it. It is the router which connects to the ADSL
connection and it stays connected permanently. You then connect to
the router using the wireless network so if the signal to connect to
the router is too weak then there will be no internet either.