Tesco as an ISP!!

Old September 1st 04, 02:41 AM posted to free.uk.internet.broadband,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Default Tesco as an ISP!!

Looking for opinions from people who have used or are using Tesco as their
ISP.
Their new broadband package sounds very attractive for the price.
Has anyone signed up yet??
Or has anyone used them in the past on dial up??
If so what's their newsgroups service like?? Do they include binary
groups??
Looking overall for thoughts on Tesco as an ISP, from those who have
experience of them before I commit.
So opinions please )

Old September 1st 04, 04:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 1 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Dave" wrote:

If so what's their newsgroups service like?? Do they include binary
groups?? Looking overall for thoughts on Tesco as an ISP, from
those who have experience of them before I commit.

Read comments from users of NTL to see what the news service is like,
as Tesco.Net is managed on behalf of Tesco by them. Apparently for
existing Tesco.net users the ADSL service has been available (as a
trial service, perhaps) but I've seen no comments from users for/
against the actual service. There may be some tesco.* groups that
you could look at if you have a dial-up account with them. Peter M.
Old September 1st 04, 02:00 PM posted to free.uk.internet.broadband,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Morrison

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 01:41:53 +0100, "Dave"
wrote:

Looking for opinions from people who have used or are using Tesco as their
ISP.
Their new broadband package sounds very attractive for the price.
Has anyone signed up yet??
Or has anyone used them in the past on dial up??
If so what's their newsgroups service like?? Do they include binary
groups??
Looking overall for thoughts on Tesco as an ISP, from those who have
experience of them before I commit.
So opinions please )

My auntie used them to finally get online.

She proudly announced "It's only 1p a minute after 6 o' clock ! I
only really use it for ebay."

I almost fell over - I didn't know you could still GET 'per minute'
ISPs. I advised her to go to a monthly fee dialup service...

And what's with all the carrots ?
Old September 1st 04, 05:08 PM posted to free.uk.internet.broadband,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

wrote:

Looking for opinions from people who have used or are using Tesco as

their
ISP.
Their new broadband package sounds very attractive for the price.
Has anyone signed up yet??
Or has anyone used them in the past on dial up??
If so what's their newsgroups service like?? Do they include binary
groups??
Looking overall for thoughts on Tesco as an ISP, from those who have
experience of them before I commit.
So opinions please )

My auntie used them to finally get online.

OK

She proudly announced "It's only 1p a minute after 6 o' clock ! I
only really use it for ebay."

OK

I almost fell over - I didn't know you could still GET 'per minute'
ISPs. I advised her to go to a monthly fee dialup service...

Er, so are they good or bad

Old September 1st 04, 05:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"poster" wrote in message
On 1 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Dave" wrote:

If so what's their newsgroups service like?? Do they include binary
groups?? Looking overall for thoughts on Tesco as an ISP, from
those who have experience of them before I commit.

Read comments from users of NTL to see what the news service is like,
as Tesco.Net is managed on behalf of Tesco by them. Apparently for

I had heard that, but have read mixed reports about NTL, some love em, some
hate em, I also have noticed some NTL users have clock issues when posting
in newsgroups mind if I ask whats is your personal opinion?

existing Tesco.net users the ADSL service has been available (as a
trial service, perhaps) but I've seen no comments from users for/
against the actual service. There may be some tesco.* groups that
you could look at if you have a dial-up account with them. Peter M.

Dont have a dial up account with them, I wasnt expecting broadband users of
tesco to comment as the service has only just been released, basically i
was hoping to hear from some dialup users who were either happy or unhappy
to get a general idea on what the service is likely to be like, for the
price and what you get for the money it seems a bit of a bargain

Old September 1st 04, 05:21 PM posted to free.uk.internet.broadband,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Morrison

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 16:08:53 +0100, "Dave"
wrote:

snip

Er, so are they good or bad

No idea - it was more of an anecdote than a helpful post.

Sorry...

And what's with all the carrots ?
Old September 1st 04, 05:44 PM posted to free.uk.internet.broadband,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

wrote:

snip

Er, so are they good or bad

No idea - it was more of an anecdote than a helpful post.

Sorry...

Dont be sorry, i was just puzzled where your post was going, treat me as
really thick and explain what the anecdote meant

Old September 1st 04, 06:08 PM posted to free.uk.internet.broadband,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 1 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Dave" wrote:

really thick and explain what the anecdote meant

Perhaps that in his opinion, PAYG is a poorer value than some
monthly fee service, whereas there may be situations (esp if
an 0845 is entered on F+F number list with BT) the costs for
checking mail say once every couple of days, at 10p a call,
is likely to total 150p where minimum charges for many ISPs
with a monthly contract are going to be 3 to 7 times that!
Old September 1st 04, 06:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 1 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Dave" wrote:

I also have noticed some NTL users have clock issues when posting
in newsgroups mind if I ask whats is your personal opinion?
Dont have a dial up account with them,

nor do I - just commenting on how you might get to judge news from
Tesco.Net. Someone in a separate thead posted a few days ago that
you can buy 25 GB of news quota for $10 from Astranews (?) which I
suspect would be a useful 'top-up' unless binaries were really poor.
(Academic, if using some other ISPs where binaries are well handled.
I've used Plus.Net's binaries and have a budget TeraNews a/c (just
a tiny signup fee of $4 or so, nothing per month) with a limit of
50 MB a day which I had used while Plus.Net was sorting out their
news servers during May/June/July, but don't remember it needing
to be used in recent weeks).

I wasnt expecting broadband users of tesco to comment as the service
has only just been released,

but 'soft launched' perhaps a few months ago as there was a mention
in this newsgroup back in June (?) I followed up that post just a
day or two back, and remember there being no comment from an ADSL
user, a shame, as I know someone who wants to retain his Tesco.Net
mail address (more fool him - but perhaps a domain name of his own
is just one step further than he's thought about to date). Peter M.

Old September 1st 04, 06:32 PM posted to free.uk.internet.broadband,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Morrison

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 16:44:56 +0100, "Dave"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

snip

Er, so are they good or bad

No idea - it was more of an anecdote than a helpful post.

Sorry...

Dont be sorry, i was just puzzled where your post was going, treat me as
really thick and explain what the anecdote meant

It had no meaning at all, so can can unfurl your puzzled brow...

:-D

And what's with all the carrots ?