ADSL filters?

Old September 1st 04, 01:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
noman

Default ADSL filters?

Just about to get Pipex solo activated on my BT line at home.

2 ADSL filters were supplied but I'm a little unsure where to place them.

I currently have a 2 way splitter in my BT box, 1 going to a phone upstairs
and the other to the office to a phone and the PC via a surge protector.

I thought about just plugging 1 ADSL filter into the BT box but the distance
to the PC is too far for the cable.

So do I just plug an ADSL filter into the extension box upstairs and leave
the ADSL part empty and the other into the surge protector (out) and run
phone and ADSL modem off that one.

Or is there another/better way?

Noman

Old September 1st 04, 03:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 12:38:00 +0100, "noman" wrote:

So do I just plug an ADSL filter into the extension box upstairs and leave
the ADSL part empty and the other into the surge protector (out) and run
phone and ADSL modem off that one.

you only need filters on phones/faxes/analogue modems/sky boxes

there is some risk that the surge protector will attenuate the ADSL
signal, so I would consider putting the microfilter before the surge
protector and feeding the ADSL modem off that then putting the phone
through the surge protector if you feel its necessary.

Your proposal may work as stated, depends what the surge protector
does to the ADSL signal

Phil
Old September 1st 04, 06:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brett...

noman wrote:
Just about to get Pipex solo activated on my BT line at home.

2 ADSL filters were supplied but I'm a little unsure where to place
them.

I currently have a 2 way splitter in my BT box, 1 going to a phone
upstairs and the other to the office to a phone and the PC via a
surge protector.

I thought about just plugging 1 ADSL filter into the BT box but the
distance to the PC is too far for the cable.

So do I just plug an ADSL filter into the extension box upstairs and
leave the ADSL part empty and the other into the surge protector
(out) and run phone and ADSL modem off that one.

Or is there another/better way?

Noman

You can do it with one filter if you think about the wiring:

____________
LINE IN------------------[ Filter ]
[ ADSL ] --------------- To
PC/Router
[ Phone ] -----------------To all
phones
[_____________]

--

Brett

Old September 1st 04, 11:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
noman

"Brett..." wrote in message
noman wrote:
Just about to get Pipex solo activated on my BT line at home.

2 ADSL filters were supplied but I'm a little unsure where to place
them.

I currently have a 2 way splitter in my BT box, 1 going to a phone
upstairs and the other to the office to a phone and the PC via a
surge protector.

I thought about just plugging 1 ADSL filter into the BT box but the
distance to the PC is too far for the cable.

So do I just plug an ADSL filter into the extension box upstairs and
leave the ADSL part empty and the other into the surge protector
(out) and run phone and ADSL modem off that one.

Or is there another/better way?

Noman

You can do it with one filter if you think about the wiring:

____________
LINE IN------------------[ Filter ]
[

ADSL ] --------------- To PC/Router
[

Phone ] -----------------To all phones
[_____________]

--

Brett

I think the diagram lost something in translation but I understood it in the
end.

It's not really possible because I haven't got a modem/adsl lead long enough
to reach PC from the BT socket and the phone line currently splits at the BT
box but thanks anyway.

Noman

Old September 2nd 04, 12:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
w_tom

If the wires split inside the BT box, then that is where the
filter goes. One wire goes only to ADSL modem. Other wire
goes to everything else.

Maybe we should step back a minute. What does the ADSL
filter do? It connects ADSL modem directly to BT's phone
wire. It sits between all other phone appliances and BT's
wire line. IOW you could connect that ADSL line directly to BT
connection (not via the ADSL filter) and connect everything
else through the filter. There is no reason (other than
convenience) to connect the ADSL modem into that ADSL filter.

Your ADSL modem should be connected so that if cannot see
any other telephone appliance without first going through a
filter.

Again, what does the ADSL filter do? To appreciate a simple
solution, first understand the answer to that question.

Why does it matter that you don't have a lead long enough
from PC to BT's master socket? That existing wire that from
BT master socket to your PC can connect direct to BT's master
socket - no filter required. Anything else must connect to
BT's master socket via a filter. That could be just one
filter or many filters. Does not matter. Just as long as the
ADSL modem cannot see any other telephone appliance without

Old September 2nd 04, 03:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 01 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, w_tom wrote:

There is no reason (other than convenience) to connect the
ADSL modem into that ADSL filter.

It's only really necessary if your ADSL modem to BT lead has a couple of
RJ11s on it. Some of the routers I've bought came with RJ11 to BT plug,
and a filter (to give me an RJ11 socket) was not used - I put the ADSL
modem and a filter (for voice) into a simple socket doubler :-) Peter