Lixxus PAYG ADSL

Old September 1st 04, 02:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Default Lixxus PAYG ADSL

Does anyone have any experience, good, bad, or indifferent of
Lixxus ADSL Pay As You Go services ?

A Google search of this group reveals nothing !

http://www.lixxus.co.uk/

TIA
Old September 1st 04, 04:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 01 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Phil Thompson wrote:

Also their data charge isn't cheap so if you use it a lot could exceed
the cost of Metronet PAYG or indeed fixed per month services.

seems to be capped at 29.38 inc VAT, but there's also the 70 +VAT setup
which seems a bit steep (70 inc VAT is not uncommon for short contract)

MetroNet does seem a better deal once you get past a few hundred MB and
'noise' (attacks, ping, etc) seem to generate a few tens of MB a month,
which might be a chargeable pain even if the user never touched it for
the whole month... Peter M.

Old September 1st 04, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

poster wrote:
On 01 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Phil Thompson wrote:

Also their data charge isn't cheap so if you use it a lot could exceed
the cost of Metronet PAYG or indeed fixed per month services.

seems to be capped at 29.38 inc VAT, but there's also the 70 +VAT setup
which seems a bit steep (70 inc VAT is not uncommon for short contract)

MetroNet does seem a better deal once you get past a few hundred MB and
'noise' (attacks, ping, etc) seem to generate a few tens of MB a month,
which might be a chargeable pain even if the user never touched it for
the whole month...

Very true. I'm considering it for my father. He only spends about half an hour
a month on line via dial up, and that's just a few text only e-mails and
a bit of web surfing, so I can't see him getting above 200MB, (unless he gets
hooked because of the fast speed ! :-) )

Point noted about the 'noise'. Although I'd probably set him up with a USB
modem, so if the PC is dead, so is the connection.

Thanks to Peter and Phil for your responses.

Old September 1st 04, 07:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 17:56:52 +0100, "Mark Carver"
wrote:

Although I'd probably set him up with a USB
modem, so if the PC is dead, so is the connection.

just watch for the terms and conditions on minimum use, there was a
debate in the metronet forum of adslguide.org.uk about this - if he
uses it daily you're probably ok.

Phil
Old September 1st 04, 07:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 1 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Mark Carver" wrote:

I'd probably set him up with a USB modem, so if the PC is
dead, so is the connection.

with very low use, that would seem ideal for them. I've installed
a PCI ADSL modem for someone (just reminded me to check he has his
firewall enabled!!) which are far from expensive, and perhaps have
an advantage when compared with USB given the various problems you
find with USB modems. A 'free' USB modem is ideal only as backup!